Travel Insurance HIGH as Type2

seanie

Hi,
Off to USA and Travel Insurance seems high as I am type2 and Blood Pressure.
Any advise on best web site to check prices on various Insurance Companies who may be cheaper for Diabetics?
Kindest
S

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not sure for travel insurance but the comparison websites like Compare the Market & Money Supermarket are pretty good for insurance quotes, although you have to be aware they don't get quotes from all insurance providers as some insurance companies won't pay them commission so they are excluded from the search.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2 and my insurance went up a small amount however my partner is a T1 and I fInd it cheaper to insure us both on an annual multi trip policy.
That said I've only ever done it for Europe and not the USA.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is only with Europe but I use payingtoomuch.com who will give you many quotes from different companies.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Travel insurance to the USA does tend to be more expensive than europe because the USA system is all Private -- like our BUPA private healthcare here.
I use staysure and find them to be very competitive as a Type 1.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I got clobbered by Saga this year with a premium for £360 for two weeks in the US, for me as a Type 2 not on meds and the wife. Being old we have used Saga for travel & household contents insurance for years but we will be shopping around with a vengeance now. Previously, especially to Europe for the reasons stated above, Saga have been very reasonable, but it seems diabetes and private healthcare in the US don't mix.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I got clobbered by Saga this year with a premium for £360 for two weeks in the US, for me as a Type 2 not on meds and the wife. Being old we have used Saga for travel & household contents insurance for years but we will be shopping around with a vengeance now. Previously, especially to Europe for the reasons stated above, Saga have been very reasonable, but it seems diabetes and private healthcare in the US don't mix.
OUCH :arghh: that is a fair old whack -- but if you were to break a bone or get a minor injury over there the costs would run into the low thousands.

My dad lives there and has private medical insurance so he did not have to pay this -- about 3 years ago he had a quadruple bypass and the bill was about $150,000 for the operation and 4 days in intensive care

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since diagnosis, I have bought travel insurance twice; both times for trips lasting months, not weeks, and to cover USA, Canada and the Caribbean. On neither occasion was I loaded at all. My premiums were the "advertised rate" for someone on my circumstances with no health conditions.

Much will depend on how your diabetes is controlled, and whether you have any other relevant medical conditions. I am extremely fortunate that I have never taken medication for diabetes and I am otherwise healthy and don't take any medication whatsoever.

I think you need to shop around, but I just went through moneysupermarket, if I recall correctly.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I always buy world wide yearly travel insurance,as i have family in Abu Dhabi.
For hubby and myself I have just paid £174.28,I declared our health problems.
They wont cover me for a pending condition as I am waiting to have my gall bladder out,been waiting since January with no problems.Going to Spain next week.I can use my E111cardif any problems in Spain ,done a lot of reserch on it,sussed out local hospitals,done some Spanish translations for gall stones,as my Spanish isnt up to that,and taking the calculated risk,Cant put my life on hold for ever.but will cope in Europe.
My travel insurance paid out £2000 in January for a three day stay in hospital in Abu Dhabi,I had only been there six hours and developed pancreatitis which I had never had before,Its the first claim I have ever had.and they were realy good..just sent the invoices and they paid within a week.If I had any sence at the time I would have got my gall bladder out there and it would have been done with,but I was scared of the cost which I found out later would have been no problem.
My Insurance is Flexicover.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
To add to that,going into hospital abroad you have to pay a deposit before a Dr will see you,the last thing you think about is money if you are in agony,but I had my handbag credit card and passport with me,I had £5000 on my credit card so that was fine,If I had the opperation it would have cost more than £5000 ,than what do you do?Not easy to get to your savings when abroad and in hospital.and you cant leave without paying..

It wouldnt have been a problem for me as my daughter lives there and she could have paid
Its worth a thought,and you never think it will happen to you.