Travel insurance recommendations ...

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to the USA for a couple of weeks in September - holiday, not work.

I have type 2 diabetes with some recent eye complications and am looking for diabetes friendly insurance that doesn't cost the earth.

I don't expect any problems with the diabetes while I'm away - I expect I'll be extra vigilant about things - but I would like cover should unforeseen things happen.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Mike

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My insurance was taken out with Holiday Safe, a site recommended by moneysavingexpert.com. I had to complete a medical questionnaire but they didn't load any extra premium on me. Can't say if it will be the same for a U.S. Holiday but worth giving it a try.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FWIW we travel all over the world and we are using the insurance our credit card is offering, the best package they offer ( no questions asked no forms to fill) is $ 400.yearly and we are both over 70, its good for 30 days at the time. Mondial is the name

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My insurance was taken out with Holiday Safe, a site recommended by moneysavingexpert.com. I had to complete a medical questionnaire but they didn't load any extra premium on me. Can't say if it will be the same for a U.S. Holiday but worth giving it a try.

How much was that in the end if I may ask. I'm going to Italy for the weekend in september and the quote I got was £9.10, highest package with that company. Just seems cheaper than I thought.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mike,

I use Allclear:

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk

I used them for a trip to North America a few years ago, and for numerous trips to Europe. They cover people with pre-existing medical conditions (and people in their party who don't have medical conditions).

Have a good trip!

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much was that in the end if I may ask. I'm going to Italy for the weekend in september and the quote I got was £9.10, highest package with that company. Just seems cheaper than I thought.

Ended up as £23 for 17 days cover on their all bells and whistles package.

G

graj0

Any recommendations?

Mike

I've visited the US frequently since diagnosis in 1997 and it has never been an issue, but obviously worth checking with your preferred Insurer.

I know some people take their repeat prescription thing with them in case they get the one immigration officer who isn't as . . . . . . . (better say nothing, just in case . . . . LOL). Might be overkill, but it's only a bit of paper.

Obviously I don't need to remind you to take your meds in your carry on luggage.

Have a great holiday, anywhere nice?

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've visited the US frequently since diagnosis in 1997 and it has never been an issue, but obviously worth checking with your preferred Insurer.

I don't have a preferred insurer - well not for travel.

I know some people take their repeat prescription thing with them in case they get the one immigration officer who isn't as . . . . . . . (better say nothing, just in case . . . . LOL). Might be overkill, but it's only a bit of paper.

That's a good idea - I had read that before and planned to do it, but had forgotten about it.

Have a great holiday, anywhere nice?

Thank you. I'm heading to Chicago for a few days, then on to visit some acquaintances near Wichita.

Kind regards,

Mike