Travel Insurance

lionrampant

So what's this nonsense all about? I'm going away next month, and while trying to get travel insurance that would cover things like jet skiing, was promptly told said insurance company wanted a £20 premium because I was diabetic and was on blood pressure tablets. :eek:

lionrampant does not approve. Anyone else experienced insurance related stupidity?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Unfortunatly as diabetics we usually have to pay a premium for travel insurance.

I've used one company inparticular where i can get cheap travel insurance... i'll PM you the company name.

hazey276

Lion, i had the same problem, booked my holiday for the summer and phoned to say i was type 1 diabetic and you could just hear the cash tills ringing in the back ground. After a sharp intake of breathe she said "there will be £35.25p excess". wasn't happy at all :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Lion and Hazey,

You need to check the small print on your holiday policy. Very few of the main insurers now provide cover for any pre-existing conditions. They will quite happily sell you travel insurance, and at an increased premium because of your diabetes, but they will not pay out if you were to need medication whilst on holiday because of a condition that you had before your holiday. An example might be if you were to have a hypo that required hospital treatment, or a sudden surge in blood sugar that required a hospital admission and insulin treatment to stabilise it.

Check the small print to ensure that it does cover all pre-existing conditions. If it doesn't then there are insurers, like the one recommended by this web site, that do provide full cover for diabetics.

hazey276

Sorry Dennis you've left me really confused now (i know, i'm thick). If i've phoned and told them about my condition am i not covered then? :? What scares me the most this year is that i'm going on a cruise and unless we were at a port and i became ill they would have to get a helicopter to me to get me bact to dry land and i wouldn't like that one sticking on my credit card. :roll: Do you mean that i may not still be covered even though i've phoned them and they've increased my premium to cover it? :?

Regards

Hazey

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Hazey,

The fact that they have insured you, and that you told them about your diabetes, does not necessarily mean that the diabetes is covered by the insurance. Unless your policy states that any condition that you have advised them of is covered, then you can assume that it's not.

Let me give you an example. For years I have been insured with Norwich Union, one of the biggest travel insurers, and the policy covered all medical conditions that I had advised them of. Then last year when we came to renew, the renewal said that we would no longer be covered for any pre-existing conditions (i.e. anything I had at the renewal date) even though they had insured them in previous years. Yet the premium still had an additional amount for my diabetes that they weren't even going to insure! I couldn't believe it so I phoned and was told this is correct. I tried several of the other big insurance companies and was told the same thing by each. Yes, they will cover me, but not for the diabetes, oh and by the way the premium is higher because you are diabetic! I ended up buying my travel insurance from this website's recommended insurers and got it cheaper and with much higher cover for medical expenses.

But the good news is that most cruise ships have a doctor, nurses, and well equipped medical suite on board (as long as your cruise isn't on the Isle of Wight ferry!!). So in the event of a diabetes related problem, it is very unlikely that you couldn't be treated on board.