Travel

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Hi to you all. I am off on my travels again, this time to India. Once again wondering what on earth I am going to eat, though I have been before and the fish was great.
The main thing I need to know is what to do about testing. I have a accu chek aviva, but it seems to have a problem with hot countries. Whenever I travel with it I get insane readings - sometimes up into the 20s. I am pretty sure that it is the meter, cos I feel fine, no symptoms like needing the loo, or lack of energy, do drink a fair bit, but that's to avoid dehydration, and if I keep the meter cool it reads as normal. :? Last time i was leaving on the air con just for the meter. Problem is I will be travelling around a lot and that is going to make keeping it cool difficult. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe the answer would be to leave it at home and just enjoy my travels. :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Suggest you put it in a plastic bag & wrap it in a wet cloth to allow evaporative cooling.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Frio make cool bags for insulin, these work with a gel activated by water.They also sell a waterproof liners for the bags specifically for keeping pumps and meters in.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Sounds to me like you might have a faulty meter. I have an Accu-Chek Advantage meter and while it will show the little thermometer symbol in the corner when it is very cold (like under 4 degrees C), it came with me all around the tropics or Darwin, Broome, Kunnunurra for 4 months recently in our caravan (no air conditioning) and was spot on.

There is a lifetime warranty on mine, I think! So perhaps worth a phone call to the manufacturer?

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Thank clearview,
Did think it was a bit odd. Will contact manufacturers. If no luck with them I will try the coolbag method. Not much time as we fly 25th Dec.

IanS

The method by which the test strips works means that they give eratic readings at higher temperatures.

IanS

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Hi guys,
am back from my hols with great news.Bought a new meter and it worked fine.
Also found a way to keep my numbers real low. Got Dheli Belly and the food seems to have gone through so fast it missed being counted. :lol: Could even eat bread, and did since it was one of the few foods not to make me feel sick. :oops: Bit of a sod when you think about it. The one time I could eat what I wanted and I was too ill to. :( Seriously though I was expecting the opposite result wil my bs. Does anything ever make sense with this insane disease? The variations between people are nuts. What sends them high/ low, (and thats only the foods),makes em bad tempered, lose/put on weight. I sometimes wonder if it is one disease or several, lumped under one title for the convenience of the NHS. :? Anyway I am convinced stress has a lot to do with my Db as I feel sooo much better after my hols, ( apart from the runs) Hope you all had a great New Year. Shame I missed all the snow tee hee :wink: