1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Travel

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by jumbleannie1VDJQ, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jumbleannie1VDJQ

jumbleannie1VDJQ · Well-Known Member

Hi to you all. I am off on my travels again, this time to India. Once again wondering what on earth I am going to eat, though I have been before and the fish was great.
    The main thing I need to know is what to do about testing. I have a accu chek aviva, but it seems to have a problem with hot countries. Whenever I travel with it I get insane readings - sometimes up into the 20s. I am pretty sure that it is the meter, cos I feel fine, no symptoms like needing the loo, or lack of energy, do drink a fair bit, but that's to avoid dehydration, and if I keep the meter cool it reads as normal. :? Last time i was leaving on the air con just for the meter. Problem is I will be travelling around a lot and that is going to make keeping it cool difficult. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe the answer would be to leave it at home and just enjoy my travels. :D

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

How about something like a cool bag to keep your meter in ?

3. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Suggest you put it in a plastic bag & wrap it in a wet cloth to allow evaporative cooling.

4. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Frio make cool bags for insulin, these work with a gel activated by water.They also sell a waterproof liners for the bags specifically for keeping pumps and meters in.

5. clearviews

clearviews · Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you might have a faulty meter. I have an Accu-Chek Advantage meter and while it will show the little thermometer symbol in the corner when it is very cold (like under 4 degrees C), it came with me all around the tropics or Darwin, Broome, Kunnunurra for 4 months recently in our caravan (no air conditioning) and was spot on.

There is a lifetime warranty on mine, I think! So perhaps worth a phone call to the manufacturer?

6. jumbleannie1VDJQ

Thank clearview,
    Did think it was a bit odd. Will contact manufacturers. If no luck with them I will try the coolbag method. Not much time as we fly 25th Dec.

7. IanS

IanS · Well-Known Member

The method by which the test strips works means that they give eratic readings at higher temperatures.

IanS

8. jumbleannie1VDJQ

Hi guys,
    am back from my hols with great news.Bought a new meter and it worked fine.
    Also found a way to keep my numbers real low. Got Dheli Belly and the food seems to have gone through so fast it missed being counted. :lol: Could even eat bread, and did since it was one of the few foods not to make me feel sick. :oops: Bit of a sod when you think about it. The one time I could eat what I wanted and I was too ill to. :( Seriously though I was expecting the opposite result wil my bs. Does anything ever make sense with this insane disease? The variations between people are nuts. What sends them high/ low, (and thats only the foods),makes em bad tempered, lose/put on weight. I sometimes wonder if it is one disease or several, lumped under one title for the convenience of the NHS. :? Anyway I am convinced stress has a lot to do with my Db as I feel sooo much better after my hols, ( apart from the runs) Hope you all had a great New Year. Shame I missed all the snow tee hee :wink:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook