Travelling abroad - security

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going away with school to poland on a history trip on Thursday and are going by plane. Just a quick question about security, I've got a letter stating why I have my needles etc... but do I need to put them and insulin, lancets and everything i need into separate clear bags like toiletries? Or can I keep my meter in its case?

S

Shar67

Insulin pens in a clear bag everything else in hand luggage but tell security you are diabetic and carrying sharps (as insulin is medication security told me I could have them in a separate clear bag to other liquids (flew out from stanstead)

Reactions: 2 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I leave mine in a Frio bag inside my hand luggage together with my blood machine in its case just tell them at the check-in and at the security scanner that I have insulin needles blood machine etc and I've never had to put things in clear bags.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I put all my supplies in a clear plastic bag (needles, pens, insulin) but kept my meter in it's normal case. Then when I went through security I took the clear plastic bag out of my hand luggage and put it next to my bag on the tray. No one questioned it or asked for my letter as I think they've seen it all before but just make sure you have your letter to hand in case.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I leave mine in a Frio bag inside my hand luggage together with my blood machine in its case just tell them at the check-in and at the security scanner that I have insulin needles blood machine etc and I've never had to put things in clear bags.
Same here. I keep insulin pens in a Frio pouch, which I put separately in the luggage bin with my Insulin-dependent diabetic letter. And sharps, pricker, meter are just in a little bag inside my handbag.

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put all my needles with my pens in a clear plastic bag with only my prescription. Took that out of my bag in a tray like Nicola. Didn't even get a second look :)

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put all diabetes supplies in my normal hand luggage. No need for the clear bag.

The bag then goes under the seat in front of me on the plane, not in the overhead bin, so that I can get to it easily if I need to (and even if the 'fasten seatbelt' light is on).

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks everyone. Not stressing as much now! Quick question, as I can't take lucozade through security what hypo treatments do you take in your hand luggage? Lucozade tablets and jelly babies?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks everyone. Not stressing as much now! Quick question, as I can't take lucozade through security what hypo treatments do you take in your hand luggage? Lucozade tablets and jelly babies?
I carry a canister of glucose tablets. They look like they're meant for medical use, accomplish the job when needed, and no one has ever given me a hard time about them. They're also not particularly appetizing which makes me less likely to overcorrect.

denbo

I carry all mine in my hand luggage and also carry a letter if u put yr insulin in a case it cud get lost then won't av any

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gluco tabs. 10 in a pack, plus you can buy big pots of 50 to top them up with.

And, yeah, not overly appetising, so no desire to over-bolus so I can scoff a few down.

Lizzyads

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only need to put the insulin and pen in the clear bag, everything else in hand luggage, never once been asked and forgot sometimes to put clear bag, they've seen it all before

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Looks like you sorted but I fly very often with work and I wear my pump, security never ask me to remove it, and I have my spare pens and needles in my bag .dont worry about clear bags and take what need. Take flu contains rather than liquid. They honesty are so used to it security are very good. Tell check in on arrival and catch securities eye and tell them you have sharps. All will be fine!!

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
Been travelling the past 4 months through SE Asia and took many flights. I just keep insulin in Frio bags and rest of needed stuff in hand luggage. Never been ask to show. Have always a lunch box with food , like peanut butter or cheese sandwiches and slices of apple. (better then air plain food anyway ! ) Also carry some instant glucose gel sachets in pocket. During travelling I also use the Accu Chek Mobile meter. Easy ,no playing around with strips during flight. Once just before landing, stewardess asked me to close my mobile. But I was checking my level.;) That Accu Chek Meter looks like a mobile .

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back now, everything was fine, no questions asked. Just had my insulin in a clear bag and everything was left in my hand luggage with my letter from the hospital out. Thanks all!

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have time to get them take all prescriptions as well. As 'proof' some airlines say they are needed.

Dont worry and have fun. All airport staff understand and probably have this everyday.

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been travelling the past 4 months through SE Asia and took many flights. I just keep insulin in Frio bags and rest of needed stuff in hand luggage. Never been ask to show. Have always a lunch box with food , like peanut butter or cheese sandwiches and slices of apple. (better then air plain food anyway ! ) Also carry some instant glucose gel sachets in pocket. During travelling I also use the Accu Chek Mobile meter. Easy ,no playing around with strips during flight. Once just before landing, stewardess asked me to close my mobile. But I was checking my level.;) That Accu Chek Meter looks like a mobile .
Hi Alberti, sorry to go slightly off topic but I am thinking of going to Vietnam next year but worrying about food am on low carb diet so should get plenty of meat, fish and veggies but in my experience of south-east asian restaurants in London is that many dishes use lots of added sugar - what's your experience of the real food? Great tip about Accu Check Mobile meter, will definitely get one of those! Cheerio ;)

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In theory you can carry lucozade through security if it is written on your letter (i carry a carton of orange juice)