Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi folks.

I was wondering if any of use have ever travelled the states?

I want to see more of the US of A and considered camp america, I don't think this will be very fair on my GF though as we share a house etc so not exactly fair to disappear for three months.

I thought we could maybe do it together and maybe just try to experience a few states one at a time. I really want to see the northern states such as wisconsin etc as they look stunning.

I was looking for advice on how to do it on a budget. Neither of us earn a massive wage as we are only early 20's but not fussed about things such as expensive hotels that a lot of the tour places put you in. In fact we would be happy with 4 walls and a bed! Haha it's just for sleeping in!

All advice welcome!

Thanks
Craig

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Yeah I would prefer hostels with our own room though. We use them regularly here in scotland but we always have a separate room :)

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Michigan. Feel free to pick my brain.

I am not familiar with hostels, but enjoy camping, so I might be able to help there.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Fantastic! I've found a decent hostel in portland which looks like it could be a good base for exploring New England. Shouldn't be too pricey getting there either because it's on the eastern side. After our holiday to tenerife this year we are going to save for two years and have two week stint.

I like the idea of visiting places like michigan and new England etc because you see these places on the TV and they look fantastic!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The New England states are beautiful. Rocky coastlines, mountains, lighthouses. :) Since they are small in comparison to other states, you will able to easily travel between states.

I traveled with my job in my 20's and have lived all over the US. If you are looking for a specific climate or type of experience, I can help direct you to the corresponding states. There is so much to see here. I may be biased, though. :)

Eventually, DH and I would like to travel to the UK. When that time comes, I will be sure to ask all of you a million questions.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I just wanna see it all but that would be near impossible doing it in short stints.

I've always loved the massive forests and parks in the states so would love to see some of them. I'd like to see some of the areas that aren't as talked about as the likes of florida and new York, vagas etc. Something a bit different :)

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Each state is a country in its own right. California has the great Redwoods forest. Absolutely beautiful.

If you are looking for entertainment & a fast-pace type of vacation, then New York or Vegas would be enjoyable. New York is hub for theater go-ers and foodies. I have been to Vegas once and once was enough. After a while, the lights and stimulation were just a blur. Arizona is close by, though and there is tons to see there too. Within two hours, you can be in the desert or in the mountains.
Florida has lovely coastline, but the drivers are atrocious. LOL I would avoid the winter season due to Hurricanes.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm from Philadelphia but have lived in England for nearly five years now. I'm sorry don't know much about camping or youth hostels and I'm ashamed to say I've never been west! But I may be able to help with some things. :) At least your money will go much further! Depending on what states you decide to visit, you may want to go in either spring or autumn. My 40+ years on the east coast and in the south saw extreme heat and humidity - or several feet of snow! :)