travelling to n. america - and travel insurance

zoeee

another travel one, because the flights are actually booked now - yay!

• insurance?; I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good (reasonably priced!) company to get travel insurance with? i've been phoning round, but would like to know of any good ones i've missed - so far i've tried diabetes uk, diabetictravel.co.uk and medicitravel.com - but wasn't too keen on them because they didn't seem to understand type 1 diabetes so that wasn't too promising.
  • where to keep medication?; every time i've been on holiday before i've always brought all my medical stuff (insulin,pens,needles,strips etc) with me in my hand luggage, because i was always told never to store it in the hold because of possible loss/delay with the luggage and also the fact that freezing temperatures will affect it so it won't work properly.
    but on the virgin atlantic website it said to only bring as much as i'd need for the flight in hand luggage, and to store the rest in the hold where the temperature remained between 4-5 degrees c. but i'm nervous about doing this, because i don't know how reliable that is and i really really really don't want to lose my medication or have it "ruined" by dodgy temperatures, especially as i'd be away for 3 weeks.
    So i emailed them this morning to ask whether it would be alright to bring it all with me in hand luggage but i got a kind of neutral reply (which i'll put at the end) so it wasn't much help!

So long story short: *** Has anyone travelled to north america recently and did you have any issues with your medication? did you bring it with you in hand luggage or with your main luggage in the hold? I'm not sure whether to do as i'd prefer and put it all in hand luggage & hope it's ok to do that?

this is the reply i got:
    The advice on carriage of medication is taken from instructions issued by the airport security services. If you wish to carry all your medication in hand luggage and have medical documents supporting the need to have it with you please show this to security at the central search area. I understand your hesitance to have your medication out of your sight but the hold is heated and pressurised.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The recommended storage temperature for Insulin is between 2 - 8 degrees Centigrade so theoretically the hold at 4 - 5 C should be OK.

You should get a max - min thermometer and put it in with your luggage. If you find that the temperature dropped you could always claim against Virgin for loss of insulin.

Get a letter from doctor if you are unsure so that you can carry it all in hand luggage.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even 3 weeks worth of insulin and perhaps double for spares is only going to be a few cartridges, unless you have severe insulin intolerance. Even when I've been overseas for 3.5 months, insulin supplies fitted into a small plastic tub, so no problem taking it in hand luggage. I'd happily allow some lancets and needle to go in hold, as they can't really be harmed by freezing. Perhaps they're getting confused about total volume of diabetes supplies and / or concern that any one container will exceed 100ml (even a vial is only 10ml)? Personally, I wouldn't risk my insulin in an airaft hold, due to both temperature range and risk of baggage loss / delay.

steveamos1234

I travel a lot to the states and mostly with Virgin (6 times per year minimum) and I've never had a problem with carrying everything in hand luggage.

I normally take 2 to 4 cartridges, and a couple of pens and test strips. You need to put the insulin in a clear plastic bag when going through security, as it's a liquid but other than that no one will say anything.

On the odd occasion, may be twice in the last five years, I was asked what it was but just stating I was diabetic was fine. I also carry a letter from my GP stating I need the supplies just in case, but I've never needed it to date.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
hi
you can keep most insulins for up to a month without it going off in a normal temparture.
I v had no trouble going to most countries including usa but last time we went through canada they were ott with my insulin, said as it was liquid and should have put it into hold luggage. when i pointed out the dangers of putting it into hold and the need to inject myself during trip they treated me quite badly .they held me up and made me late for my connection to usa.dont think i will be going through canada again.

walshdon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would recommend Churchill Insurance I paid £53 for 13 days in New Zealand and I have type 1 and neuropathy.

zoeee

thank you for your help everyone, i'll do what i was intending to and keep the insulin in my hand luggage & spare needles in the hold - i'm not going through canada so hopefully everything will go smoothly!
and i'll have a look at churchill insurance, that sounds v. good! - completely forgot about them :)

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thread bump, heading to Hawaii next month and about the plastic bags, quite an anal question here, do you HAVE to use the 'standard' zip lock bags? Was planning on bringing one larger bag to fire all my gear into?

paulastamp

Try 'Insure for Travel' - think their site is actually called 'Insure for You' - so try Googling both names!

We travelled as a family of 5 to Europe- my 8 yr old Daughter is Type 1, and it was £26 for their Silver Service. (Bronze obviously cheaper, Gold most expensive). Previous quotes through Diabetes websites were well over £100 for the same deal.

Paula.