Treats on special occasions

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, we had an Indian buffet at our local Indian restaurant. I ate a little off plan, a little square of nan, raita on my salad and a couple of tablespoons of rice with 3 table spoons of prawn patia (a little sweet) and a few bits of dry garlic chicken for a starter. My super shot up to 11.5 after an hour, 9.5 after 2 hours and 7.5 fasting this morning. Does having this kind of treat on special occasions contribute to diabetic complications? Even if you have this type of food/chinese/Italian/Spanish once every 4-6 weeks? I'm not talking about going bonkers with food, but just enjoying a little bit of what I shouldn't really have?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm a supporter of occasional treats, and I don't think a small rise in BG every few weeks does any damage. In fact, I think it was my perfectionism that contributed to me falling off the wagon a year ago. My new approach is to allow myself occasional treats. This approach is backed up by Jenny Ruhl at Blood Sugar 101:

"The key, for me, is to build safety valves into my diet. I don't call them "cheats" or "bad foods" for reasons I'll get into later. I call them "off plan" foods because they are not food I can make an ongoing part of my daily food plan. Because my goal is life-long blood sugar control, I accept that I will occasional eat "off plan" and that this is okay as long as I am meeting my blood sugar targets most of the time. "Good enough" control that I can adhere to year in and year out beats a few months of perfection followed by crashing off the diet entirely and ruining my health."​

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046989.php

Reactions: 11 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll chuck the ball right back in your court and say it's up to you. You now know enough to understand the damage we can do with little treats if they are the start of carb creep.
What you had sounds very nice and I hope you enjoyed it. You also have the result of your BS. So ....?

Reactions: 12 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on your viewpoint.
Some 'normal' people suffer rises of that sort.
Some don't.
What do you want?
Perfect figures, and hit by a bus?
A good life, enjoy your yourself, and die at a ripe old age?
Something in the middle?

Personally, I enjoy my life, my food, my HBA1 C is fine, my meter is (generally) fine, I have no complications, so my life isn't on hold.
If that change, I'm sure my viewpoint will, until then, I'm burning the candle at both ends.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all. I'll keep check and make sure that I revert back to my LCHF diet the day after. It is only occasionally. I will make sure I don't carb creep. I've worked hard at this for the last couple of weeks ;)

Reactions: 8 people
M

mrspuddleduck

@KimG. Just remember you are human first and diabetic second! In other words, don't let the diabetes control your life, think of it more like a lodger you can't evict ha ha!! Seriously, have read your posts, you are doing soo well!! Sue xxx

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kim

I think that as this is new to us, its a massive change in our diets. My personal feeling is that you should be able to have the occsional treat or it would become a bit much for us at this stage. I am finding that I can have a curry once every couple of weeks and it does raise my sugars but not by a cast amount and well worth it. I have also just downloaded 'Blood Sugar 101' as I know CatLadyNZ loves it so it piqued my interest. Its great and I think it puts a lot of this into perspective. Have a read;)

Deb

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KimG. Just remember you are human first and diabetic second! In other words, don't let the diabetes control your life, think of it more like a lodger you can't evict ha ha!! Seriously, have read your posts, you are doing soo well!! Sue xxx
Thank you! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby (non diabetic though) suffers if he has a day off from low carb.. Even if its just a doughnut that people take in to work he'll put a pound on!!

If you end up having a restricted diet like I have to (I am the diabetic) I can't have treats really. They play havoc with my bowel and this then causes my bloods to rise..

Sometimes its just a case of saying *** if I go out for a meal with friends. Nowadays I will have them over for eats in preference to going out and risking my health just for an hours binge of treat foods..

Reactions: 9 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kim

I think that as this is new to us, its a massive change in our diets. My personal feeling is that you should be able to have the occsional treat or it would become a bit much for us at this stage. I am finding that I can have a curry once every couple of weeks and it does raise my sugars but not by a cast amount and well worth it. I have also just downloaded 'Blood Sugar 101' as I know CatLadyNZ loves it so it piqued my interest. Its great and I think it puts a lot of this into perspective. Have a read;)

Deb
I've downloaded it, thanks x

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, we had an Indian buffet at our local Indian restaurant. I ate a little off plan, a little square of nan, raita on my salad and a couple of tablespoons of rice with 3 table spoons of prawn patia (a little sweet) and a few bits of dry garlic chicken for a starter. My super shot up to 11.5 after an hour, 9.5 after 2 hours and 7.5 fasting this morning. Does having this kind of treat on special occasions contribute to diabetic complications? Even if you have this type of food/chinese/Italian/Spanish once every 4-6 weeks? I'm not talking about going bonkers with food, but just enjoying a little bit of what I shouldn't really have?
I too am a believer of an occasional treat, on the last Friday of every month I treat myself to a small cake. I can be good the rest of the time as the thought of that treat keeps me on track the rest of the month. You have worked hard and learned so quickly I reckon you deserved a treat, you are doing great and as long as a treat stays a treat and doesn't become a habit then go for it occationally. :hungry: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY FOR YESTERDAY:) was it special one ?

Reactions: 4 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Anniversary :)

About three weeks back, I was on a youth camp and all leaders were indulging in desserts, cakes, sweets all week. I resisted and decided to treat myself to ice-cream on the Friday evening. Honestly, I didn't even enjoy it! I hadn't had any ice-cream in four months and I felt sick after a few spoonfuls and was dreading the reading two hours later. 9.8 two hours later and that has been the final straw for such foods.

Reactions: 6 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see right now you are diagnosed recently, joined roughly 2 weeks ago and already constructing regular exceptions from controlling your diabetes, Very sad.

Life beyond diabetes it is.
Control the diabetes, or it controls you.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see right now you are diagnosed recently, joined roughly 2 weeks ago and already constructing regular exceptions from controlling your diabetes, Very sad.

Some people find that the carb cravings experienced for several days after a fall off the wagon mean that it's just not worth it, whilst others find they can't face the prospect of a life without a treat / cheat once a month. @KimG You have to decide what's right for you and not be guilt-tripped by yourself or anyone else.

The mathematician in me feels obliged to point out that 3 meals a day for 30 days is 90 meals a month. If only one of those is "bad" than that's a "good" rate of 98.8%

Reactions: 17 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I experimented with popcorn recently, not having had it in years. I enjoyed it, but felt rough for days. I won't do it again.

If you decide to low carb, it's not like a diet which you do to lose a few pounds then go back to normal food. You switch your body from burning carbs to burning fat, be that body fat or consumed fat. If you then go off plan, you knock your body back into carb burning mode and it will crave carbs as fuel and it really doesn't take much to do it.

Low Carb isn't a necessity, you can choose to cut back on sugar and processed food and take medications, or go onto insulin. It's up to you. But many of us find that going low carb is worth it.

If you go into it wanting to build in cheat days, off plan days etc then you may be dooming yourself to fail, always looking forward to the next treat and allowing more and more carbs to creep into your diet.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people find that the carb cravings experienced for several days after a fall off the wagon mean that it's just not worth it, whilst others find they can't face the prospect of a life without a treat / cheat once a month. @KimG You have to decide what's right for you and not be guilt-tripped by yourself or anyone else.

The mathematician in me feels obliged to point out that 3 meals a day for 30 days is 90 meals a month. If only one of those is "bad" than that's a "good" rate of 98.8%
Thank you for that Alzebra:)
I too am a believer of an occasional treat, on the last Friday of every month I treat myself to a small cake. I can be good the rest of the time as the thought of that treat keeps me on track the rest of the month. You have worked hard and learned so quickly I reckon you deserved a treat, you are doing great and as long as a treat stays a treat and doesn't become a habit then go for it occationally. :hungry: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY FOR YESTERDAY:) was it special one ?
Thank you Poohtiggy. 26 years.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To have such a raise happen after completely misjudging a meal is OK, it's part of learning from our mistakes. To do it deliberate, planned in advance, excused by "it's only every bla bla weeks" is poor diabetic control in my opinion.

3 spoons of rice, some bits of chicken,,, Was this really enjoyable? Don't think so, guess you felt guilty all the time.
Really enjoying it means have 1/2 chicken, 10 spoons of rice and a maxi cup of ice cream after. And because it is a special day, have 2 slices of Black Forest gateau and Shortbread with the tea. Otherwise, nibbling like a scared mouse is not worth it.
Just my opinion. Wishing you you can control yourself.[/
To have such a raise happen after completely misjudging a meal is OK, it's part of learning from our mistakes. To do it deliberate, planned in advance, excused by "it's only every bla bla weeks" is poor diabetic control in my opinion.

3 spoons of rice, some bits of chicken,,, Was this really enjoyable? Don't think so, guess you felt guilty all the time.
Really enjoying it means have 1/2 chicken, 10 spoons of rice and a maxi cup of ice cream after. And because it is a special day, have 2 slices of Black Forest gateau and Shortbread with the tea. Otherwise, nibbling like a scared mouse is not worth it.
Just my opinion. Wishing you you can control yourself.
My question was "do treats contribute to diabetic complications?" Eating treats every 4-6 weeks is an example if I would. Occasional means occasional, birthdays, weddings, Christmas, Easter, and a few times when I've lost a large amount of weight. I have lost 1st 8lbs so far. Do you think I want to jeopardize that knowing what diabetes can do to you? You don't know me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to build low carb treats into my diet - for the most part I choose not to eat higher carb foods any more, and seeing what they can do to my glucose levels has put me off completely. I've chosen to make a lifestyle change and like @Celeriac, I'd much rather be burning fats than carbs, and I try not to jeopardise this. If you're happier managing your diet differently, it's totally up to you, and no-one else's business but yours - you don't need anyone else's approval or permission to do this, but you are also responsible for understanding the consequences of your actions....

Robbity

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand that, and in time things might change. I need to explore people's thoughts. It's the first time I've asked this question. I still need to learn. It's been nearly three weeks since diagnosis. I didn't expect someone to jump down my throat.

Reactions: 6 people