Treats?

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sooooooo........... Don't know if im being a bit too hard on myself here or just plain old silly

Realistically how often do people allow themselves treats?

Since being diagnosed type 1 and when it was first though i was nearly 4 weeks ago i have completly stayed away from sweets, chocolate and crisps and it has not bothered me one iota as didnt seem worthy to me of an injection. Today i have the most awful sugar cravings and it is driving me crazy. Is it terrible to give in to the craving? I have tried fruit and it has not cured it :x

What do you have for treats or what do you find helps your sweet tooth???

Any ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated

K

Kat100

I am getting used to baking with sweet freedom???
Eating a few squares of 70 per cent and darker chocolate.
Going to make some sconces with a sweetener (sweetener) my choice my body needs a treat and I am going to make one . T2 for 3 months on medication still in shock. I am learning I can have a few crisps now and then etc but its hard....good luck you will find something nice....

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey vic, I allow the occasional treat between meals but was also anxious about it after diagnosis. I just simply adjust my insulin to allow for the treat. Not sure if u would of been taught this yet but am sure u will in time.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kat100 said:
I am getting used to baking with sweet freedom???
Eating a few squares of 70 per cent and darker chocolate.
Going to make some sconces with a sweetener (sweetener) my choice my body needs a treat and I am going to make one . T2 for 3 months on medication still in shock. I am learning I can have a few crisps now and then etc but its hard....good luck you will find something nice....

Thanks Kat i have been to buy the diff flours for baking but struggling with what to sweetener to get as i hear most are bad so still trying to work that one out :(

Im not sure bout this 70% chocolate as even the smell of dark chocolate make me wanna hurl lol

Im sure i will get there but is always nice to get some ideas and advise

brett said:
Hey vic, I allow the occasional treat between meals but was also anxious about it after diagnosis. I just simply adjust my insulin to allow for the treat. Not sure if u would of been taught this yet but am sure u will in time.

Hiya Brett, I have been taught to adjust my insulin dose but with all the low carb info and sugar spikes im not sure exactly how chocolate is going to affect my bloods or if you get a big drop afterwards etc not sure how it works really :? not sure if im being a bit dumb here or whether to incorporate it in after meal with low gi innit. Like i say not really sure what is best and am a bit apprehensive lol

K

Kat100

Hi vic agree the sweetner problem is a hard one I am trying them all at the moment...
I am impressed with sweet freedom through web site diet freedom...morrisons and Waitrose sell it....sorry if you already know this....lots of recepies for sweet freedom and you don't need much....yes dark chocolate is hard..
Make something nice....chat again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I try to have a bowl of nuts handy. I also have 85% Green & Blacks Dark Chocolate. It's very low carb, very well rounded and you do get used to it to the extent I now find milk chocolate far too sweet and yukky!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
victoria84 said:
Sooooooo........... Don't know if im being a bit too hard on myself here or just plain old silly

Since being diagnosed type 1 and when it was first though i was nearly 4 weeks ago i have completly stayed away from sweets, chocolate and crisps and it has not bothered me one iota as didnt seem worthy to me of an injection. Today i have the most awful sugar cravings and it is driving me crazy. Is it terrible to give in to the craving? I have tried fruit and it has not cured it :x

Have a small treat after your main evening meal if it will help the cravings, obviously portion size is important so keeping it within reason shouldn't effect your bg levels too much (provided you inject extra insulin to cover the treat). Over a period of time I'm sure the sugar cravings will subside and the treat will just become less frequent.

I don't have a sweet tooth so never really feel the need to eat something sweet (unless treating a hypo), a treat for me is a packet of XL Cheese Crisps on a weekend or an occasional Chinese Meal from our local take-away :thumbup:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daibell said:
Hi. I try to have a bowl of nuts handy. I also have 85% Green & Blacks Dark Chocolate. It's very low carb, very well rounded and you do get used to it to the extent I now find milk chocolate far too sweet and yukky!

lol i think i will have to gear myself up to try the chocolate lol.

I will try the nuts thing though im still trying to work out which ones are ok lol

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
victoria84 said:

Have a small treat after your main evening meal if it will help the cravings, obviously portion size is important so keeping it within reason shouldn't effect your bg levels too much (provided you inject extra insulin to cover the treat). Over a period of time I'm sure the sugar cravings will subside and the treat will just become less frequent.

I don't have a sweet tooth so never really feel the need to eat something sweet (unless treating a hypo), a treat for me is a packet of XL Cheese Crisps on a weekend or an occasional Chinese Meal from our local take-away :thumbup:

thanks noblehead i will definately be doing this if the nuts thing doesnt work :wink:

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I usually have a yoghurt or mousse after my evening meal. My personal favourites are perle de lait. Love the coconut ones and the raspberry ones.
I check for the ones with lower carb counts.

JussyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kathleen, they're my favourite as well. The coconut one is delish :p

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Some great ideas here. Tried the perle de lait today after recommendation. It was gorgeous! :)

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hi
I'm afraid I'm still in complete denial and eat and drink what I want then guess how much insulin to take and hope for tbe best. I have joined this site today in the hope that it gives me the incentive to do it right, lose some weight and get healthy then maybe I'll be able to avoid the complications that come with Type 1 diabetes.

weeezer

As a type 1, I spent years thinking I 'shouldn't' or 'couldn't' have chocolate etc. luckily I don't really like sweets so never wanted or missed them. Even after the DAFNE course I was reluctant to have choc, but the last few years I have had the confidence to just count the carbs and inject roughly the right amount. I felt liberated last Easter, to say 'yes! I CAN have an Easter egg' and just made sure I injected. Pure heaven, and no adverse effect on my blood sugar.

This Easter I avoided Easter eggs because I'm trying to lose weight. (well, mostly...still ate a half of my kids egg, after sussing the carbs in it!)

So, in my opinion, you can eat whatever you like. As long as you cover it with insulin!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gemima

As long as you bolus correctly then You can have anything you want! Obviously the rule everything in moderation applies to us T1s as well as non Diabetics as we still want to stay healthy and fit :) I've counted from the beginning and never stuck to a particular diet plan and tbh it keeps me sane...I think I would've been much more depressed/downhearted if I had to exclude many things and not eat like everyone else! My friends have gradually stopped asking if I can have dessert or the caramel latte as they have had a very long winded explanation as to why I'm "Just like them"! except my insulin is exogenous! Lol

A

Anonymous

Gemima said:
As long as you bolus correctly then You can have anything you want! Obviously the rule everything in moderation applies to us T1s as well as non Diabetics as we still want to stay healthy and fit :) I've counted from the beginning and never stuck to a particular diet plan and tbh it keeps me sane...I think I would've been much more depressed/downhearted if I had to exclude many things and not eat like everyone else! My friends have gradually stopped asking if I can have dessert or the caramel latte as they have had a very long winded explanation as to why I'm "Just like them"! except my insulin is exogenous! Lol

I am T2 diet only and I seem to be able to eat normally with sensible portions. I don't know what it's like for people on medication or T1 v T2 but I don't worry about the odd day. Last Sunday I went to my son and girfriend (celiac) to show them how to make pizza dough out of gluten-free flour (for my sins). He and I polished off a large packet of Doritos with a hot salsa dip and then we all dived into two pizzas. We had a great time, I saved the cost of a test strip (no point that day), and back to normal the next. No harm done and a fun day.

Gemima

gezzathorpe said:
Gemima said:

I am T2 diet only and I seem to be able to eat normally with sensible portions. I don't know what it's like for people on medication or T1 v T2 but I don't worry about the odd day. Last Sunday I went to my son and girfriend (celiac) to show them how to make pizza dough out of gluten-free flour (for my sins). He and I polished off a large packet of Doritos with a hot salsa dip and then we all dived into two pizzas. We had a great time, I saved the cost of a test strip (no point that day), and back to normal the next. No harm done and a fun day.

Eeek now that scares me a bit, I like to correct, I think I'd find it a lot harder if I was t2 as I would be a lot more strict with food! :) but we have to live so the odd day off isn't the worst thing, can't constantly do what we know we should! Glad you enjoyed your day! :)

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
gemima this is the problem I have and i find if I try to explain I can have a treat I sound like Im justifying myself too much and im lying its ok!

Im recently diagnosed type 1 and my family (even though my nan had type 1 for 30 yrs prior to her passing) still dont get it!

My sister made some cakes the other day and brought them to my mums as we were all meeting there for coffee. Straight away she said to me its a shame you Cant have one. When i explained i could and would cover my treat with an injection they all looked at me like i was insane and i Cant ever have a treat again.

Friends are just as bad!

I think my 4 year old daughter understands it more :) xx

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All good information here.

Thank you all, has made me feel better. had a perle d lait and they are awesome :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
victoria84 said:
All good information here.

Thank you all, has made me feel better. had a perle d lait and they are awesome :)

Glad u enjoyed :)