Try buying a sad lamp to lift your moods

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Diagnosed with depression about 3 years ago.
Been insulin dependant diabetic for 37 years.
Work mate sits on the other side of my office with a very small but very bright sad lamp on his desk and switches it on now and then.

When I asked what it was for he said it lifts his moods especially in the winter months and works a treat.
I bought one from Amazon.uk.
I use it for half an hour each day while on the computer at home or watching the TV at home.
But it can be used as much as you want.
I dont take it into work there is no need for me.
What a difference it has made.

Had the sad lamp/light for about 6 months now.
My moods are so much better because my sleep now seems to be so much better.
I never seemed to dream about anything for years when I was sleeping.
Now It is different, waking up in the morning and remembering the dreams you had that night.
Because you have slept so well.

Please google sad lamps and look at the choice and reviews on Amazon or other sites.
Everyone has notice a difference in my attitude and energy lately, me especially.
Worked really well for me and I hope others on here can benefit too.

Best wishes to all.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've had a SAD lamp for 2 years now. It sits at the side of my monitor screen, out of direct line of sight, and at this time of year I switch it on whenever I'm using the computer, which is sometimes all day.

I also take Vitamin D3 supplements all winter - Google about those to find the correct dose for you, which is higher than you might expect.

I used to be in a really low state by February, but since the SAD lamp I've survived the winter in a much better frame of mind.

I should say I have never had clinical depression that needed meds - just felt really low and miserable. :D

Viv 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Viv I do hope that when you are feeling better you cheer up your (sad) lamp :lol:
CAROL

a88ie

I googled it and it says:

Consult your doctor before using if you:

Suffer or suffered with severe depression
Hypersensitive to light (eg; diabetics and epileptics)
Suffer eye complaints (ie cataracts or glaucoma)
On specific medication (ie; certain antidepressants, psychotropic drugs or malaria tablets)
Have high blood pressure

so may not be suitable for some diabetics, which includes me unfortunately :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Fortunately my SAD lamp doesn't talk back - or giggle - I'd've put a brick through it, some mornings! :wink:

Seriously, I think it helps. Certainly read round on the subject, re a88ie's advice. I think all I'm trying to say is - for me, it's not a con.

a88ie, I love your avatar!

Viv 8)

chrysanthy

for i am the first time to hear about (sad)lamp. sounds great. :D
then i read and read then i see
a88ie said:
I googled it and it says:

Consult your doctor before using if you:

Suffer or suffered with severe depression
Hypersensitive to light (eg; diabetics and epileptics)
Suffer eye complaints (ie cataracts or glaucoma)
On specific medication (ie; certain antidepressants, psychotropic drugs or malaria tablets)
Have high blood pressure

so may not be suitable for some diabetics, which includes me unfortunately :lol:
then :eh:
i guess i'll find more information related.

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have suffered from Chronic Clinical Depression fo 19 years now. I am currently going through a really terrible patch, but was taken off all anti-depressants for a while, due to side effects. I bought a SAD lamp, and it does seem to help.

Mine is quite large though.