Trying A Simple Way To Get Rid Of Diabetes

HemantG

Presently I am trying an experiment which seems to be leading me to success about getting rid of my diabetes which I hope to achieve in three more months.

I am do the following since 22nd April 2018.

I walk everyday 4.5 kilometers within 45 minutes.

I eat only twice in a day. All intakes other than water are collapsed in two 45 minutes windows in the day.

I take about 1500 calories in a day, and my food intake consists of fruits, salad, sprouted legume, carbohydrates, and curds, strictly in the given order.

Till date I have lost 9 kg weight, BMI has come down to about 25, and doctors has reduced my medicines one notch lower. Hope to get rid of them totally in another 3 months.

At the start my HbA1c was about 8.1%, with medicines. Latest value was 5.9% with the same medicines and that is how the doctor has reduced the dosage.

Reactions: MikeStrutter

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done on you reduction in weight, HbA1c and meds!
However a word of caution though, you may not ever ‘get rid’ of Diabetes, you will more than likely ‘reverse it’, ‘ put it in remission’ or have it ‘well controlled’, whichever term you prefer, you will probably always have the potential for high blood sugars if you revert to your previous lifestyle. I have ‘in remission’ on my avatar as it’s the term available that I like best here. I actually refer to myself as ‘very well controlled’ as does my GP.

Edit to add: sorry I missed that this was your first post. Welcome! And here is a tag for @daisy1 for her welcome info post which she posts for new members.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Well done on your progress so far. Might I just say that if/when you reach non Diabetic numbers this will not mean that you are no longer Diabetic. You may reverse your condition but a return to former dietary/excercise levels would mean an end to remission.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like. And I am sure that members would like to hear more about the ways you are managing this condition.

HemantG

Well certainly it is remission that I mean. Got so fed up with it over the years that remission has now become my sole mission. My doctor was warning of putting me on insulin having increased medicines four times in the past ten years or so. Then suddenly I came across a speech by another doctor that inspired me to try a new method. I am following it since ten weeks with astonishing results .

Reactions: Serena51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well certainly it is remission that I mean. Got so fed up with it over the years that remission has now become my sole mission. My doctor was warning of putting me on insulin having increased medicines four times in the past ten years or so. Then suddenly I came across a speech by another doctor that inspired me to try a new method. I am following it since ten weeks with astonishing results .

You have definitely come to the right place then. Many of us here control our diabetes with diet, exercise and fasting and minimal or no meds. Have a browse around and ask any questions that occur to you, there’s always an answer forth coming.

HemantG

Perhaps a good idea will be to indicate the BMI also as that tells us what the target of weight reduction should be. I suppose 25 is a good figure to aim at. I am about to reach it. While reduction in kg tells us the relative progress, the BMI achieved tells us the absolute progress.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps a good idea will be to indicate the BMI also as that tells us what the target of weight reduction should be. I suppose 25 is a good figure to aim at. I am about to reach it. While reduction in kg tells us the relative progress, the BMI achieved tells us the absolute progress.

Well done Hemant but I reckon BMI tells us something but absolute progress comes from looking in the mirror! :)

HemantG

Well done Hemant but I reckon BMI tells us something but absolute progress comes from looking in the mirror! :)
BMI is a scientifically developed concept. Our own thinking, as you said, can be decided by looking at the mirror. But what about the thousands who look at her? That is where standardization matters..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok my BMI was 43.8 on diagnosis in May’17. It’s now 29.6 :happy:
But to be honest the bathroom scales and my new wardrobe of clothes which are 3 dress sizes smaller mean more to me day to day :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMI is a scientifically developed concept. Our own thinking, as you said, can be decided by looking at the mirror. But what about the thousands who look at her? That is where standardization matters..

BMI is not a god indicator at all for those at the edges on "usual". Many athletes are "obese", in terms of the height/weight ratios, but their body compositions do not tell the same story. The same is similar for those who are either very short or very tall.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
BMI I believe was devised around mid 1850's I think, I am 25. something so technically on this measure overweight; however my waist (34.5) to height (5 "11) ratio of 47.89 is right in the middle of the healthy range - this is a modern calculation which covers all body types and composition. I have a good amount of muscle so will never be low BMI.

Your walking pace and time look good, if you can you may want to add resistance training; if you do don't be concerned about weight, as muscle mass is a good thing.

Reactions: zand

HemantG

BMI I believe was devised around mid 1850's I think, I am 25. something so technically on this measure overweight; however my waist (34.5) to height (5 "11) ratio of 47.89 is right in the middle of the healthy range - this is a modern calculation which covers all body types and composition. I have a good amount of muscle so will never be low BMI.

Your walking pace and time look good, if you can you may want to add resistance training; if you do don't be concerned about weight, as muscle mass is a good thing.

I will surely do that and some yoga.

BMI may not be a good measure for athelets. Why, we should see the figures of a 100 meter runner, and that of one who runs or walks marathon.

How does it help to have more muscle mass?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight reduction had little to do with my lowering myHba1c to below the diabetes range - I lost weight afterwards, but it was most likely a result of lowering my BG levels to normal - not the other way round.

HemantG

Weight reduction had little to do with my lowering myHba1c to below the diabetes range - I lost weight afterwards, but it was most likely a result of lowering my BG levels to normal - not the other way round.
Weight reduction is an accepted method to help reduce diabetes. But of course there are obese people who are not diabetic.

HemantG

Ok my BMI was 43.8 on diagnosis in May’17. It’s now 29.6 :happy:
But to be honest the bathroom scales and my new wardrobe of clothes which are 3 dress sizes smaller mean more to me day to day :)
That is huge progress, and I am sure you will touch 25 in a few months. Yes, It is rather expensive to lose weight as one may have to buy a new wardrobe. Important is to do it only once. I started using my ten year old trousers as I touched BMI of 25, down from 30.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I will surely do that and some yoga.

BMI may not be a good measure for athelets. Why, we should see the figures of a 100 meter runner, and that of one who runs or walks marathon.

How does it help to have more muscle mass?
As ever we are can all be our own case study. I am having fun looking for what is the ultimate protocol for me i.e. least amount of cardio / resistance exercise with the best control (and perhaps aesthetics) as I can. At the beginning of my Type 2 journey I remember seeing a picture of a guy who was said to have reversed his diabetics by weight training - a before and after picture stuck with me. I wished I had bookmarked this, as it was inspirational and suits my love for training.

A great advantage of muscle mass is that it can independent of insulin shuffle glucose into the cells (GLUT4 uptake). In addition muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat, and is a healthier - fat has toxins and bad hormonal responses. I am not promoting body building (as this would require "carbier" protocols in the true sense), but firming up what nature has provided.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had many a discussion with my Gp regarding BMI. It does not take into account weather you are an Ectomorph, Endomorph or Mesomorph. I know people that according to the "BMI" chart they are clinically obese yet don't have an ounce of fat on them as they are bodybuilders or power lifters!! People often get upset because they work so hard at loosing weight to be told "according to the BMI chart you are still overweight" :)