Trying LCHF Diet...

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...and want to get it right. Recently diagnosed a month or so ago with type two diabetes and I have been trying to do the LCHF diet. I have changed all my food and on the odd days when I have had something with carbs I have suffered. I am testing my BS levels despite being told not to and I notice certain foods spike them more than others.
Still trying foods and recipes out as I am eating food I am not really used to. I need and want to lose weight as well as manage my BS levels but am trying to work out what my daily intake of calories should be to lose? Anyone know where I can find this out? DN and GP have swallowed the NICE guidelines so please don't say her. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you eat an LCHF diet, it's the balance of (low) carbs, protein, and fat that you need to consider rather than calories. The calculator that @Indy51 recommended will help you work out your personal requirements.

Robbity

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mizloco I used the nutritional calculator that Indy51 linked too. It was helpful.

I counted carbs in the beginning, never counted calories or figured out the ratios.

When I started the LCHF diet, I primarily focused on increasing water intake, sleep, and walking, while eating above ground vegetables or 1/4 cup berries with each meal; protein, typically egg(s), 3 - 4 ounces meat, poultry, or fish at each meal; and fat in the form of butter, extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil with every meal. I'd also have 1 ounce of cheese each day with a meal or as a snack; 1 - 2 ounces raw nuts a day with a meal or as snack; and half an avocado with a meal or as a snack was good too.

Breakfast typically is an omelet and berries; lunch is 4 cups of leafy greens, avocado, nuts, and some type of meat or poultry topped with a vinaigrette, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar; dinner is essentially a combination of meat, poultry, or fish, above ground vegetables, and healthy fats.

Green olives helped when I opened the fridge door and need just a little something.

Beverages: water, and more water, also black tea in morning, green tea in afternoon. A glass of red wine in evening.

Treats: a small amount of frozen berries or an ounce or less of a good quality dark chocolate is good.

It helps to snack in the beginning, but once you're in ketosis, snacking is not as important, and not eating 3 hours before going to bed is helpful. Later you can explore adding intermittent fasting, but I'd get the diet down first.

Here's two good articles by Michael Eades, MD on everything you need to know about water intake and maintaining your electrolytes when starting or restarting the LCHF diet...

Part 1: https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2011/05/30/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/
Part 2: https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2011/06/25/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Watch your protein intake, you want enough to feel good, but not so much that your spiking your blood glucose levels - (excess protein is converted to glucose).

Perhaps someone here can post a protein calculator here for you. (I can't remember which one I used...apologies).

Oh, and if you want to use a vegan diet - (what's listed above is more of a Paleo style diet) - Neal Barnard, MD, and Joel Fuhrman, MD have both written books specifically for type 2 diabetics. Mark Hyman, MD just came out with his book, Eat Fat, Get Thin. The book includes 4 or 5 chapters on fats alone, and his LCHF diet can be followed with or without animal protein and animal fat.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people