trying new veg

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Since low carbing i have discovered new things. I have seen a few veg that i dont know what to do with them.

Anyone got some advise on how to prepare or cook the following? Chicory and fennel.

are they low carb?

0000001825688_M.jpeg 0000000203210_M.jpeg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can roast fennel. Coat it with olive oil and roast until soft. Not sure about the carbs though.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your recommended recipes are just so good. thanks for these great Ideas. We will sprinkle toasted bread crumbs over the top.
(Must be fair with regard to the dummy cheese efforts to replace real cheese, I would much prefer to dream about cheese rather than you know what).

Reactions: 2 people

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use Chicory as a salad leaf - it's slightly bitter but really lovely.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Your recommended recipes are just so good. thanks for these great Ideas. We will sprinkle toasted bread crumbs over the top.
(Must be fair with regard to the dummy cheese efforts to replace real cheese, I would much prefer to dream about cheese rather than you know what).
Don't blame you. I have tried bought vegan cheese and was not a fan. I much preferred home-made nut cheese.

Here is another fennel recipe that I enjoy

http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_6/2012/OCT/2688.html

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Chicory as a salad leaf - it's slightly bitter but really lovely.

I always buy bags of chicory - keeps much longer than lettuce etc.

Really nice with bits of orange as salad. Or anything you fancy. Change dressings using different ingredients to mask bitterness if it bothers you.

Can also be (briefly) broiled, fried and otherwise cooked.

Brilliant vegetable!
Jane.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fennel has an aniseed flavour.. I like it in a blue chease and fennel dip .. Don't know how it's made as it's the wife's department .. Think it could just be moyo she makes with olive oil and shredded fennel with blue chease crumbled in it .... It is nice as a snack with celery .. Cuecumber and spring onions to use as the dippers.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicory is one of my favourites. I like it braised in a little stock, lemon juice, garlic and cream, sometimes with chopped bacon and sometimes with some cheese toasted on the top. Will still be a little bitter, but it's a nice bitter and goes very well with gammon, for example.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I will try some of those ideas thanks.

today i received my new electric grater/slicer. Its fab, been playing and already made coleslaw, might try veg chips this weekend.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to try celeriac after reading about it on here somewhere. I've never tried it before so any tips on best way to cook it?

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very versatile. Julienned with a lemony mayo as a salad, boiled and mashed as a potato alternative, finely sliced and layered with cream and oven baked or, my favourite, as a smooth soup. It has that earthy celery taste, but nicer imo.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what's new for you. You made coleslaw so you know about white cabbage? Very versatile, sweet raw and crunchy sliced thin and steamed.
Courgettes and aubergines sliced & baked or fried with cheese over.
Butternut squash baked like a spud (stick a metal skewer through to cook the middle) and mashed with butter & pepper (you can eat the skin too), but watch the carbs on that one if you eat a lot of it at once.
Leeks with almost anything.
Cauliflower is the magic do-all -- cauli cheese, cauli rice, cauli pizza base.
Er, and so on :happy:

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking of cauliflower cheese, I wondered how to replace a bechamel sauce base, then discovered the joy of double cream and mature grated cheddar, warmed together until melted.

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Speaking of cauliflower cheese, I wondered how to replace a bechamel sauce base, then discovered the joy of double cream and mature grated cheddar, warmed together until melted.
I usually use cream cheese, cream, cheddar and sometime add Boursin for a different flavour.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
there is a traditional belgian way of cooking chicory, where it is baked in a cheese sauce, i have found a recipe here

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone had okra? I imgine it to be hot/spicey?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Okra is best in a curry. Its very sticky

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is very versatile. Julienned with a lemony mayo as a salad, boiled and mashed as a potato alternative, finely sliced and layered with cream and oven baked or, my favourite, as a smooth soup. It has that earthy celery taste, but nicer imo.

And being lazy, I enjoy the fact that you can buy frozen puréed celeriac (it has a bit of cream in it too). At least you can here in France.

Really enjoying this Thread!
Jane

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Anyone had okra? I imgine it to be hot/spicey?
Okra, is quite bland really. I have put it into stews before or slow cooked curry. I like a bhindi bhaji (okra) from the indian.