trying pizza for tea, any advice??

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello

so we have avoided pizza since the first try and the huge spike hours after so we are going to try again as dylan loves pizza and i dont want to have to say no never again.

anyway do i try a square wave or dual wave bolus and how many hours should i do it over or percentage of split, i understand everyone is different but just some ideas of what u do would give me a good starting point ive never used either of these functions b4.

thanks for ur help

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There was a similar thread recently, but as you say everyone is different so it's really down to a lot of testing. We're doing pizza again tomorrow night so I can look forward to yet another sleepless night :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19702

Let us know what you decide to do with dylan and how it goes. I can't help with the dual wave and square wave bolus, we don't have that on the Animas, just what's called a combo so I'm not sure how that differs.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks sophia have read the link and what u advised u do on there so gives me an idea of where to start at least sounds like a dual wave to me what u have done or the equvilant on ur pump anyway

anna marie

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well ive done a dual wave split 35/65 over 3 hrs so will see where that leaves us later on

anna marie

Hazza

I don't think you will be too far off with this. When we have pizza we usually do a 40/60 slit over 2 to 3 hours and the numbers come in quite good. If you can keep the spikes down then it has done its job. Lily loves pizza and we seem to have it about once a week and the results are generally the same(ish) so we are quite happy. I don't stress over it like I used too now. :D
Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well so far so good have tested twice since tea and the readings were....

5.30- 4.6 just before eating pizza
6.30- 9.7
8.30- 8.6

not bad really i could live with those if thats it and no rises later :D

anna marie

leggott

hi. I'm not pumping yet, but reading all this so I can be prepared when we start. Can you let me know how much pizza your son ate at tea and carb value, as my daughter is the same age and although every one reacts differently it gives me a starting point. Thanks leggott

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi leggot

dylan had one of those chicago town pizzas u get two smaller ones in a box but he did have a few chips with it too so did 90g of carbs, hope that helps

anna marie

Hazza

Well done Anna Marie, that is a great set of numbers. It looks like pizza is back on the menu :D .
Lily usually just has pizza but about 100 carbs worth.
Well done again.

Harry

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
dylan usually would harry but those chicago town ones arnt that big he would of moaned he was hungry

i thought the numbers were good, not to have risen above 10 was my aim and we have achieved it had one more test before bed and he was 7.5 so im well happy :D

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those are great readings Anna Marie, you must be well pleased :) Jess experienced a slow climb in readings after about 4 to 5 hours of eating and the climb lasted overnight. You may want to check Dylan again in the middle of the night just to see if he experiences the same thing. If he does then he may need a temporary basal set to combat that problem.

Leggott, fyi and incase it's of any help, Jess has a homemade pizza and the carb value is around 66g of carbs for her serving size. She also had a small glass of fresh orange juice with the pizza which was another 12g of carbs. I did the same combo bolus as Dylan has had tonight, her readings can be seen on that thread I linked to in my earlier post.

leggott

Thanks Spohia. Any info is very much appreciated. I know our kids are all different, but it does give me a guide. Because mine are on MDI I normally try and restrict pizza / pasta to about 40g carb, just because of the slow release. Fortunately mine prefer thin crust so they get about 2 slices for that.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
right here are the full list of readings but please bare in mind dylan did go to football training for an hour last night as well so may need a tweak in future.....

5.30- 4.6 had pizza and bolus of 35/65 split for 3 hrs
6.30- 9.7
8.30- 8.6
9.00- 7.5
10.10- 3.6 gave 8g of fast acting
10.50- 6.1
8.10am- 6.9

didnt get up in the middle of the night anywhere tho so dont know if there was must change in the middle but besides the 3.6 i was very happy with that and the 3.6 i put down to football training more than the insulin ratio, it was 2 hrs after football training that reading and the 9.7 was before and 8.6 just after all in all a good result

anna marie

leggott

You should be chuffed to bits with those results. As for the football - it's always difficult to access the amount of energy a kid will use during an activity, so I think the results you got are very good. leggott

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i am really chuffed leggott best readings we have had with pizza involved i will def try that again next time minus the football to see how different that makes it but thanku

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news that it worked well :) Maybe next time if he does football again you could give him a biscuit after football just to carry him through.