Trying to be good

shez

I am trying to get my sugars down mid to high teens at the minute but I a bit confused.
If something says carbohydrate say 90.5g then of which sugars 0g does that mean it's ok to eat?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I am trying to get my sugars down mid to high teens at the minute but I a bit confused.
If something says carbohydrate say 90.5g then of which sugars 0g does that mean it's ok to eat?
What are your current readings if I may ask?

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No - as Carbohydrates convert to sugars

Take the total figure and ignore the 'of which sugars' - which is the immediately absorbed sugar content

I assume you have a meter from reading the post above

I try to avoid foods with more than 20g carbs in a meal and follow a low carb lifestyle (based on LCHF diet)

Test immediately before and then 2 hours after the meal to see the effect on your BG (blood glucose)

My tolerance is higher but I have seen a drop to the mid 5's from a reading of 16.1 when diagnosed, after just over a month.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Generally speaking ignore the bit that says 'of which sugars' - it's the total carbs figure that is important.

Reactions: 2 people

shez

Oh dear that's why I am still getting high readings
Back to the drawing board for me
Current reading anywhere from 9 to 17.7 average around 14

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yep, you need to address that .... the average needs to be a lot lower than 14 but I assume you know that

Read up on LCHF diets if you haven't already done so.

Good luck

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Generally speaking ignore the bit that says 'of which sugars' - it's the total carbs figure that is important.

that's how I understood it, but the other day someone was saying that Xylitol is fine, the carbs don't count because there's zero sugars:

Carbohydrate* 4g 100g
of which sugars Zero Zero

:confused:

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's how I understood it, but the other day someone was saying that Xylitol is fine, the carbs don't count because there's zero sugars:

Carbohydrate* 4g 100g

Hi Rowan, Just picked this up re Xylitol off the web just says it has a Low GI of 7 they are obviously promoting it for diabetics.
Xylitol - Diabetes
Now there’s a natural sugar alternative for those with diabetes*
More and more people living with diabetes are learning about Total Sweet xylitol; the natural sugar alternative that looks and tastes just like sugar, but is ideal for diabetics

Xylitol has a glycaemic index (GI) value of just 7, which is about 10 times lower than sugar and 4 times lower than fructose, making it ideal for those with diabetes as it has a lesser effect on blood glucose levels

The launch of Total Sweet is exciting news for those living with diabetes. Not only can you now enjoy sweet foods, but you can also feel safe in the knowledge that xylitol is totally natural and also boasts a host of other health benefits

Xylitol is also useful to those diabetes sufferers who need to lose weight as it has 40% fewer calories than sugar and less than half the available carbohydrates, which combined with its low GI value make it ideal for almost any diet

Another huge benefit of Total Sweet for diabetes sufferers is that it can be used in cooking in the same quantities as sugar, so you can now make diabetic friendly desserts and puddings

The carbs are still there.....

Neil

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what i thought - 4g of carbs for a 4g serving is the same as sugar!

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what i thought - 4g of carbs for a 4g serving is the same as sugar!

Carbohydrate* 4g 100g

I coudn't find any info as to the carb content, but you quoted 100g Xylitol had 4g carbs that's less than sugar.

Neil

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I missed a bit out, a 4g serving has 4g carbs, 100g serving 100g carbs, 'Of which sugars' = zero. Here's the link http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=279770034

Yep, same as sugar, just may convert a lot slower because of it's GI (glycemic index of 7)

That's why we say look just at the carbs, the of which sugars are those which convert immediately, but the total carbs you are having is what is going to affect you sugar levels although the glycemic value does help

Neil

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a book about the glycemic index years ago, but it's still packed away with my other books since moving home the week before xmas! Will really have to gt them unpcked and read up on it again!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, same as sugar, just may convert a lot slower because of it's GI (glycemic index of 7)

That's why we say look just at the carbs, the of which sugars are those which convert immediately, but the total carbs you are having is what is going to affect you sugar levels although the glycemic value does help

Neil

But I just noticed on the tesco site it says 'Less than half the available carbohydrates of sugar' ? Doesn't make sense.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But I just noticed on the tesco site it says 'Less than half the available carbohydrates of sugar' ? Doesn't make sense.
I cannot answer that one maybe some else can explain..........

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this...is this the stuff?? It does say 75% less available carbs than sugar...which is a bit strange...However I find a sprinkle of this doesn't really have much affect for me.

Attachments

• 1423389232146.jpg
    1423389232146.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 142

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rowan, if your only having a sprinkle then it's not going to have much effect As it is 1g to 1g carb unless you sprinkling 10 or 20 grams your probably not going to see an effect.

Neil

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rowan, if your only having a sprinkle then it's not going to have much effect As it is 1g to 1g carb unless you sprinkling 10 or 20 grams your probably not going to see an effect.

Neil

Sugar is also 1g to 1g carb, so only having a sprinkle of sugar won't have much effect either? ;)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar is also 1g to 1g carb, so only having a sprinkle of sugar won't have much effect either? ;)
This may have less of an effect because it has a low GI 7 on the scale, (sugar is 100 I think) and is therefore absorbed over a longer period of time where sugar would give you a hit immediately.