Trying to Conceive... what should I be concerned about?

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in July. I was immediately put on to Metformin, and now also take Atorvastatin, Amlodopine, and Doxazosin. I've managed to get control of my blood sugar fairly well through a low carb diet, and this year I've lost 4 of the 8 stone that I needed to lose.
My fiance and I may have a potential fertility problem on his side (he had an op for retracted testicles as a boy... we've read that it can impact fertility), but have decided that the time is almost right to start trying for a baby. I have high blood pressure that is proving to be difficult to control, so we are going to wait until that's under control (and until I'm off the statins... shouldn't be a problem as my cholesterol is low). As soon as I have a reasonably clean bill of health, we want to start trying. But we do want to start planning now.

I've done a lot of googling, and there's all kinds of conflicting advice and information out there regarding diabetes and pregnancy.
What are the main risks for me and a baby, as a diabetic?
If you are or have been pregnant, what extra care do you need to take ?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Nothing to do with diabetes but avoid vitamin A and take folic acid

Good luck!

Everyone tells you how hard work children are but no-one tells you how much fun they are!

Cara

s230787

Yes start taking folic acid - you may want to ask your doc for the higher dosage. I took it from the moment I came off the pill. You will also need vitamin D. Keep your sugars under control, you will be advised not to follow a strict low carb diet once pregnant so just get used to what affects levels etc so you know to avoid them once pregnant if you are not on insulin. At 12 weeks ask about aspirin.

In the meantime have fun with the hubby hehe, lots of luck :D

I'm currently 28 weeks, T1 and hitting the dreaded insulin resistance big time even with insulin, increased lantus and metformin!!! It's not easy so once you get further along get plenty rest.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App