Trying to gain weight without blood sugar going wild

jbaldan33

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have type 1 and I’ve been recommended to put some weight on. I’ve managed to put some on but it’s a struggle to manage the weight gain/extra food and keeping my bloods under control. Anyone been in the same situation/have tips for ways to maybe do this better?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I have type 1 and I’ve been recommended to put some weight on. I’ve managed to put some on but it’s a struggle to manage the weight gain/extra food and keeping my bloods under control. Anyone been in the same situation/have tips for ways to maybe do this better?

Hi jbaldan - Welcome to the forum.

Are you newly diagnosed, or have you been T1 for some time?

It could be useful to understand a bit more about you. What's your general control like and what do you like to eat?

jbaldan33

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jbaldan - Welcome to the forum.

Are you newly diagnosed, or have you been T1 for some time?

It could be useful to understand a bit more about you. What's your general control like and what do you like to eat?

Hi,

I was diagnosed in March so a little new but got my head around things generally. My control is good overall and everything is well managed.

I think the issue comes down to not necessarily understanding how all the different foods digest overtime. This leads to a bit of a shock when I go to bed at a good level but wake up high I.e. the pizza effect.

I’ve been trying to eat more higher protein rich foods I.e. turkey/chicken etc and snacking on on nuts etc with healthy fats. But there is the issue of 1. Getting bored of meals and 2. Managing blood sugar with bigger meals

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed in March so a little new but got my head around things generally. My control is good overall and everything is well managed.

I think the issue comes down to not necessarily understanding how all the different foods digest overtime. This leads to a bit of a shock when I go to bed at a good level but wake up high I.e. the pizza effect.

I’ve been trying to eat more higher protein rich foods I.e. turkey/chicken etc and snacking on on nuts etc with healthy fats. But there is the issue of 1. Getting bored of meals and 2. Managing blood sugar with bigger meals

Thanks for that. Many people find they gain weight once their glucose levels come into range, having lost some around diagnosis. Did that happen to you?

If you are eating a normal diet, as opposed to Low Carbing, or anything else, then some added fat could potentially help you gain, as fats are very calorie dense. Fat can impact on how much and when your blood sugars rise and dip, as fat tends to slow the rise a bit.

I'll tag in a few T1s off the top of my head, who may or may not be online right now, for their experiences. I'm neither T1, nor have I ever used diabetes meds, never mind insulin, so would hate to make too many suggestions.

@Jaylee , @Mel dCP @SamJB @helensaramay , @Nicole1968

jbaldan33

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. Many people find they gain weight once their glucose levels come into range, having lost some around diagnosis. Did that happen to you?

If you are eating a normal diet, as opposed to Low Carbing, or anything else, then some added fat could potentially help you gain, as fats are very calorie dense. Fat can impact on how much and when your blood sugars rise and dip, as fat tends to slow the rise a bit.

I'll tag in a few T1s off the top of my head, who may or may not be online right now, for their experiences. I'm neither T1, nor have I ever used diabetes meds, never mind insulin, so would hate to make too many suggestions.

@Jaylee , @Mel dCP @SamJB @helensaramay , @Nicole1968

I did initially lose some weight around diagnosis and have managed to put this back on with bloods under control. Thing is that I've always been slim and struggled to put weight on. Before diagnosis it never really bothered me, but now I feel like for overall health it is something I should do. Thanks for the help so far :)

Daisy_Daisy

Protein Foods ++ cheese, cream, poultry, Ham unprocessed, Meats, Eggs, Fish..
Low GI load Foods, blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries.
protein eventually will turns to glucose but slower.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the same problem. I lost a stone last year pre diagnosis (i didn't have a stone to lose - i looked dreadful)

Winter 2017 /18 I then lost a further 1/2 stone because I'd stopped snacking. I was struggling with insulin doses, being told I needed to wait 4 hours between meals & wasn't really given diet advice that matched my lifestyle.

So after a year I know I can carb load in the morning - & I do. I also ignore the 4 hour between meals stuff. Nuts are a good snack because they don't raise my BG. Full fat milk, creamy sauces all ok. Dinner tonight was 3 tiny potatoes but a huge piece of chicken. I snack on slices of ham .

I still haven't put all the weight back on but at least I now look slim rather than ill

Dawn75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jbaldan

I have the same problem, though I'm a T2. I've started baking, and I substitute ground almonds for about half the flour. I also reduce the sugar in the recipe by 50 or 60%. I find that if you take too much out, the texture is wrong. If the recipe requires chocolate (and the ones I use usually do!) I buy 85% dark choc and break it up into little pieces - shop bought choc chips are too high in sugar. I also add more vanilla / cocoa powder / almond essence etc than the recipe says to give extra flavour.

I've been told to eat fatty food like nuts and cream, but I have to watch my cholesterol too, so all things in moderation.

I would stress that none of this is advice, just my own experience! As I said, I'm a Type 2, so I don't know if what works for me would be OK for you. Good luck with it, though!

Last edited: