trying to stay calm

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Just spent almost an hour trying to get on here. if this is not a success
I wont try again. Any way calm down. Self tested my self out of curiosity and was 12, 15 hours after having eaten. I was told a few weeks ago I was type 2. didnt even feel ill (I thought).
My HbA1c was 68. Panicked and starved myself. Next result 4 weeks later was 49. I have lost 3 stone in the 9 weeks since I self tested. I an starting to get to grips with what I can and cant eat., I now realise all the things I had been feeling were not just down to shift work and getting older. I hope to learn a lot from you people here who have more knowledge than Me of this frightening condition.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi jack thanks for the reply.
I just remembered my main question.
when should I test my blood and what is the maximum acceptable peak value.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that was in the first link, for a Noob try and stay out of double digits at 2 hrs and will probably set a limit of under 8
I cut all grain and grain product and potato, there is still a lot left to eat

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
first link, for a Noob. sorry im not sue what that is. I try to keep below 9 at the peak but it means im starving myself.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Welcome to the forum.
You are doing well by testing , the best time to test to see what effect food has on your blood sugars is just before you eat and again 2 hours after you have eaten. The result should be pretty much the same if the food hasn't effected you.

We have a lovely moderator here who will post an information sheet for new people.

Good luck ;)

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
thanks guys
My result after 2 hours is usually slightly higer than before. My concern is the figure at peak. sometimes over 10.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10 isn't that big of a concern at his stage, it will come down as you get the hang of it and your insulin resistance subsides, what is your before breakfast reading?
kids with T1 has 10 as their target

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6 is very good and only 0.5 above normal, once you cut the carbs your post meal readings will be fine in a week and your before breakfast will come down too

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the Forum, try not to panic (easier said than done I know) you are doing really well. Carbohydrates tend to raise blood sugar levels, so cut down on cereals, rice, pasta, bread and potatoes and your bg should come down, we are all different and some people can tolerate small amounts of carbohydrates. Have a good look round this website and see what other people are doing, you will soon learn how to control your BG and find a diet that is right for you. You have lots of support here, so you are not alone. I have learned a great deal since I joined in February this year. I am also T2 on 1000mg of Metformin a day.

If you have any questions please ask we are all here to help.

Marilyn

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi there!
There are several different approaches which you can try. One is low fat, portion control and a small amount of carbs per meal. This is the recommended NHS approach. See www.diabetes.org.uk. The other is low carb. I follow low carb high fat (LCHF) which sounds awful but works well for me. Basically no rice, pasta, bread and potatoes or sugar. You eat plenty of cheese, cream full fat plain yoghurt, fish, meat and veggies which grow above ground. Limited berries and nuts. The fat provides your energy and you will find that you don't require that much of it so your calorie intake is less than you think and you lose weight without going hungry. Initially it can be tough to ditch the sugar for a day or so but I have lost 1 stone 10lbs. Suite doctor, which jack has mentioned , is written by a proper doctor in Sweden. Good luck with whatever you decide to try!

Reactions: 7 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope this will answer some of your questions. Any more, just ask and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Welcome to the group, you've already had plenty of great advice:)

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
thanks again for all your replies.
Went for my third Hba1c today. Apparently I have gone from 67 to 41 in 8 weeks. Couldn't believe my luck.
Got home to a message from doctors surgery I have a vitamin b deficiency and have to go back for more blood tests.
One thing after another.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Quite common.....don't worry.

Are you eating a reasonable diet? Ready meals seem to deplete B12 if reliant upon them.... B12 is fixable, but can make you feel **** when levels are low.

You are entitled to get copies of your blood results without seeing a GP. Most receptionists will print them out for you if requested before seeing the GP. Our GP Practice actual states nowadays that it is up to the Patients to get their blood results and make an appointment if necessary to talk about them... It's the GP's handing over responsibility for not contacting the Patients!!!

Good luck for seeing GP. If you have very low levels, have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia website. They have loads of info.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
The doctors receptionist said it was just a little low.
I have been eating more ready meals than usual. We only have a microwave at work.
I used to eat sandwiches or take aways but they are out now.

Thanks for the advice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm still having investigations done why my B12 is now naturally above limits, but when I look back to my times of liw levels and PA, my life has improved so much. I am totally stress free, eat every natural grown foods and rarely a takeaway or ready meal. I never was outrageously reliant upon other sources of food but my life nowis totally stress free and happy and I think personally that this does have an affect on our inner bodies too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App