Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Does anyone else feel like they really try hard to get better BG control and fail miserably ?

I've just met my DSN as been struggling with keep levels down since the hot weather, also was due a period last week so levels shot up with that and to top it all off i'm stressed with work. I am lucky if I get one reading a day that's within my target of 5-8, otherwise it's anything up to 18 - on the positive side I havent had a hypo in 2 weeks. My DSN thinks I try too hard and if I could become more chilled out about it that I wouldnt become so anxious and better BG - I am inclined to agree as I cant think of anything else that would be keeping me this high for over a month now. I do low carb, correct with food and test around 7 times a day.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions or can share their learnings for making this easier ?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
She might be right you know. I went through a very similar situation not long ago where I was doing so much research on how to get the perfect bs level that I drove myself mad with stress and couldn't sort myself out.

If your carb counting correctly and your bs level is staying around 18 then I would definitely suggest taking a look at your basal insulin rates and consider increasing it by 1 to start with and then see how you go. Are you on a pump or MDI?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with Faith totally.

I'm on pump, but was roo involved and worrying about basal testing, my BG levels etc.

My being less bothered has taken so much stress away and my BG levels are reflecting this....they are so much better than when I was worrying about my levels too much!!

Fairhs extra advice is good, and what I would have done if on jabs still.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My DSN suggested tweaking my morning basal up 1 unit, so that's something I can try straight away - it seems to make alot of sense, I recently did DAFNE and the person with the best control was the most relaxed person in the room with near perfect results even with guess work on carb ratios.

Unfortunately i've found that when my readings go high that compounds the situation even more in so much that I feel ****, get wound up and takes more effort to get them under control again.

I think it's time to smoke the pipe of peace and chill out...