TTC after Miscarriage & scared...

toastlover

Hi everyone, I'm T1, age 37, HBA1c 7.0. Hardly a glowing description... lol :wink:

Back in August I got pregnant after 5 months of trying. We were, of course over the moon. 7 weeks later we were pregnant no more and utterly devastated.

I can't help but wonder if it happened because of my T1. During the 3 weeks I knew I was pregnant I'd had my first ante natal appointment and was trying desperately to get my bg right down 1 hour after eating. I rarely got it down that quick but almost always within 2 hours.

We are TTC again and I'm absolutely bricking it and can't help worrying that it was caused by the T1 and will happen all over again. But the stress the worry is causing won't help the TTC. It's a vicious circle...

Just really wondered if anyone else has been in my position and went on to have a successful pregnancy? And if anyone has any tips on how to manage the bg's when it (hopefully) happens for us again? I did wonder about a pump.

Thanks.....

Lisasolo

Re: TTC after Miscarriage & scared...

Hi, I'm Type 1, 34 and will be trying for #2 in the next few months. My Hba1c isn't quite good enough yet!
I had my daughter in Jan 2010 and after a Dafne course, managed to have a pregnancy Hba1c of 5.5 :0) I was frequently worried about not being low enough 1 hour post meals but my consultant reassured me that as long as I managed it by 2hrs post, he wasn't overly concerned.
My pregnancy was straight forward in relation to my diabetes and I was induced at 38 weeks. Molly was born weighing a healthy 7lb 10.
After my daughter, I miscarried at 12 weeks in August 2011. I too blamed my diabetes massively at first. Especially the double figure spikes I would get without warning. However, after unfortunately witnessing two close non-diabetic friends miscarry within quick succession, I have resigned myself to the fact that I was just 'unlucky' I did everything correct in both pregnancies but with only one happy ending.
Good luck with TTC x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

toots8298

hi girls - thanks for this post, I think I needed some reassurance too.

I'm T2 and had only TTC for 3 months before I fell, and looking back, I've done everything right, kept my BG low, they done a test when I found out I was pregnant, and my HBAC1 was 6.3 and that was diet alone. They got me to test 4 times daily before meals to monitor it and asked me to get it as low as possible, ended up taking metformin to help. Unfortunately our bean didn't want to stay either.

So it is very much the luck of the straw, try and be positive, will be better for you to TTC.

I'm not quite ready for TTC yet, still trying to cope at the mo with the emotional side - and physically still healing too.

Best of luck!! hoping a sticky bean with you be with shortly!

katyfrost

If it helps I'm in the same boat, had a miscarriage in December and ttc now. Been trying for four months but not pregnant yet. I already have one little girl and already know having type 1 and being pregnant is a full time job in itself! Can't wait to fall pregnant again but very apprehensive given my miscarriage last year.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments

Hi. I fell by accident in April and only made it to 6 weeks before bean stopped growing. My hba1c was awful and I can't help but feel I could have done more to get it down. I'm now nearly 9 weeks gone again and my hb is 8.4. My dr is not overly concerned about that but is more concerned about my weight and blood pressure.
Can't help but wonder.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.

I'm not evens allowed to start trying for a baby until I get my Hba1c lower than 7%. So, never then.