Tumeric

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. I have type 2 and have had it for about 3 months now, on metroformin 850 g twice a day. I have lost 12 kilos and my readings are normally between 70 and 120. (strict diet) I read about Tumeric, and added about 2 tablespoons to my dinner, and my blood went down to 45! I know, dangerous! Had a cuppa with sugar and bloods gone back up again now. Question is, does anyone use Tumeric, it obviously works, but I guess I need to be taking much much smaller doses!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

graj0

I wish I was in a position to answer your question fully, although I've take Curcumin (a component of Turmeric) I've not taken Turmeric. I took it for general inflammation and It did help.

You might like to read the following: http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-your-miracle-weapon-against-diabetes. As you say, it obviously works.

When you say your blood went down to 45 is that mmol/mol because if it is that's bang on the money.

Have a look at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html to convert units.

Look at https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...5UJBKG6kcoSRsPi6eUgyyDEaonRoCYH_w_wcB#glucose, to see what your BG should be.

I need to look at Turmeric again.

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I was in a position to answer your question fully, although I've take Curcumin (a component of Turmeric) I've not taken Turmeric. I took it for general inflammation and It did help.

You might like to read the following: http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-your-miracle-weapon-against-diabetes. As you say, it obviously works.

When you say your blood went down to 45 is that mmol/mol because if it is that's bang on the money.

Have a look at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html to convert units.

Look at https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...5UJBKG6kcoSRsPi6eUgyyDEaonRoCYH_w_wcB#glucose, to see what your BG should be.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am in Cyprus and the measurements are different, I was told to divide them by 18 to get the English conversion, so 45 would be 2.5! It's never been that low, no where near it, and the only thing I had today that was different was Tumeric! (In a very spicy meal, but I always eat a lot of chillis (fresh) they too are supposed to be very good. So I guess I am going to have to practice with this, and not use as much next time, scary! Thanks for the links by the way.And my advise to anyone is to be very careful with natural remedies if you are also on the meds!

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Interesting. I've just started taking curcumin in the hope it will help with joint pain and inflammation in my lungs. How long did it take before you felt it was making a difference?

G

graj0

How long did it take before you felt it was making a difference?

It's difficult to say because I started taking Aloe Vera liquid as well but certainly within a week there was a difference. No cure, but I noticed improvement.

G

graj0

mg/dl to mmol/l.

I can see that you have some very specific problems in Cyprus with the supply of meters and test strips, even resulting in a demo in January 2014. Is it still true that government changes it's recommended meter/test strips every three years and that there is only one importer who has held everyone to ransom by charging so much. Makes me realise how lucky we are in the UK.

I get very confused by numbers, must be an age thing, but now I can see that your meter measures in mg/dl which is the American standard. I'm fascinated because Cyprus used to have so many connections with the UK and there is obviously a considerably sized ex-pat community in Cyprus. Most of the meters these days are manufactured in the far east, wherever they're sold.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i don't know about blood sugar but it has helped me with an inflamed shoulder. the only other time there was a massive improvement in my shoulder was when i was on an insanely high dose of an NSAID for about 6 weeks. prefer to not do that again.

started putting a pinch of turmeric in my vegetables daily about two months ago and my shoulder is back in relatively good nick. i also add some black pepper and cumin to the mix. black pepper apparently increases the potency of turmeric. for some studies, go to youtube "nutritionfacts.org". Dr.Micheal Greger is a vegan so i don't believe every single one of his "scientific" conclusions but useful for non-meat stuff.

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is a very interesting FB group called Turmeric Users Group (TUG) and a companion website by an Australian vet (can't remember his name; Doug something). Contains tons of information about turmeric's benefits for animals and humans. Also explains about Golden Paste - the best way to access the benefits. Definitely worth a look!

Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
... on metroformin 850 g twice a day ... I read about Tumeric, and added about 2 tablespoons to my dinner, and my blood went down to 45! I know, dangerous!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a T2 on metroformin CAN NOT get a hypo not even taking tumeric.

Either you BG reading was wrong or your taking some GPL-1 antagonist or something else is going on.

This is called a false hypo. Don't worry you can't have a dangerous hypo unless you are on insulin or an insulin stimulating drug.

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html

I can also promise you that a normal amount of tumeric will NOT consistently lower your BG anymore than vinegar.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a T2 on metroformin CAN NOT get a hypo not even taking tumeric.

Either you BG reading was wrong or your taking some GPL-1 antagonist or something else is going on.

This is called a false hypo. Don't worry you can't have a dangerous hypo unless you are on insulin or an insulin stimulating drug.

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html

I can also promise you that a normal amount of tumeric will NOT consistently lower your BG anymore than vinegar.
Never say never - we've had several members have hypos from just metformin, so definitely possible. I think the people involved may also have some aspect of reactive hypoglycemia going on.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take quite substantial doses of curcumin (the active ingredient of turmeric) daily for back/hip pain but I've never noticed any effect on my blood glucose.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I take quite substantial doses of curcumin (the active ingredient of turmeric) daily for back/hip pain but I've never noticed any effect on my blood glucose.
I have factor 5 and on high dose of curcumin too. The only thing that affects my blood clotting is too much vitamin K. BG has never been affected.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Never say never - we've had several members have hypos from just metformin, so definitely possible. I think the people involved may also have some aspect of reactive hypoglycemia going on.
Not being argumentive, but reactive hypoglycemia occurs in people who eat a high carb meal and who are not diabetic. It's my understanding that they release a high amount of insulin without a secondary dampening affect - basically opposite of a diabetic.

My experience has been that it is a misreading coupled with the feeling of a false hypo.. Metformin affects the liver not the beta cells.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not being argumentive, but reactive hypoglycemia occurs in people who eat a high carb meal and who are not diabetic. It's my understanding that they release a high amount of insulin without a secondary dampening affect - basically opposite of a diabetic.

My experience has been that it is a misreading coupled with the feeling of a false hypo.. Metformin affects the liver not the beta cells.
I think there can be any other number of other factors, eg. adrenal/cortisol issues. I remember one member Scandichic was actually carted off to hospital with a real hypo, not a fake one.

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hmmmm, why is everything so confusing! Maybe it was the machine, Having said that, it was only that day that the readings went so low, so who knows. I did take a ridiculous amoung of Tumeric that day, I am now experimenting with much lower amounts, and it is giving me much better readings, unless its just a coincidence. There are tons of testimonals on the nett for its affect on blood sugar, so I shall carry on with my experimenting anyway. Thank you for all your replies.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I think there can be any other number of other factors, eg. adrenal/cortisol issues. I remember one member Scandichic was actually carted off to hospital with a real hypo, not a fake one.
Really Scandichic? She is so very far from hysterical or nutter. Wonder what the diagnosis ended up.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey @foxy I'm not saying that natural compounds don't have their place but each of us who have diabetes have different genetics coupled with a very complex disease that constantly evolves.

In my experience and opinion, there is no cure or compound that works for everyone. The old 80/20/rule seems to work the best. The 80% is cut your carbs, increase your exercise and lean muscle mass, get your BMI down to as normal as possible, test and retest what foods spike your blood sugar and above all try and enjoy your life and don't be looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But try and keep your BG level as low as possible and read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solutions and throw it down as rubish and then pick it up again.

The 20%, try cinnamon, tumeric, high fat, low fat, Newcastle Diet , vinegar, whatever.

But just remember, in many cases, with discipline and compulsion you can manage this disease and live a long and happy life, but in all probability you won't find a cure, at least not yet.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @foxy I'm not saying that natural compounds don't have their place but each of us who have diabetes have different genetics coupled with a very complex disease that constantly evolves.

In my experience and opinion, there is no cure or compound that works for everyone. The old 80/20/rule seems to work the best. The 80% is cut your carbs, increase your exercise and lean muscle mass, get your BMI down to as normal as possible, test and retest what foods spike your blood sugar and above all try and enjoy your life and don't be looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But try and keep your BG level as low as possible and read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solutions and throw it down as rubish and then pick it up again.

The 20%, try cinnamon, tumeric, high fat, low fat, Newcastle Diet , vinegar, whatever.

But just remember, in many cases, with discipline and compulsion you can manage this disease and live a long and happy life, but in all probability you won't find a cure, at least not yet.
Thanks for that, yes I am a newly diagnosed type 2. Have lost 12 kilos in ten weeks, understand about carbs from previous diets lol, doing more exercise and all that you have quoted., but will still enjoy the 20% of experimenting too! Have a great day, from sunny North Cyprus