Turkey, Sage and Spring Onion Burgers and Meatballs

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok, I keep reminding myself to post this up for you guys, but I keep getting caught up in something or another that stops me from being able to do so, as such, I have had to force myself to stop messing about with other ideas and get this typed out haha!

This recipe is fairly similar to the classic steak burger recipe I posted, but hey, there's only so many ways you can make a burger eh?

This one is pretty straight forward to make, again much like the classic steak burger. All you'll need for this is the following:

1Kg of Turkey Leg (or equivalent pre minced turkey that you can get your hands on from the local shop or butcher)
1 tsp Onion Powder (or half a fresh onion)
1 tsp Pepper (either white or black depending on your tastes)
1/2 tsp salt (or a good pinch)
80g Oatmeal
2 Spring onions, finely chopped

Method:

Take your lean turkey meat and mince it through the coarse plate of the mincer.

If you have opted for buying pre-minced turkey, Follow on from here!

In a bowl, mix together the onion, pepper, salt, oatmeal, and spring onions thoroughly to ensure they are well mixed. Sprinkle this evenly over the minced turkey and mix through, trying to avoid compressing the meat. (i'll have to get a video of me doing this to show you what I mean!)

Once you have evenly mixed the dry goods through the meat, it should be naturally wet enough to not need any additional water, however if you feel it is too dry then feel free to add in a little more water to get it to a consistency that you are happy with.

For those with a home mincer, switch to the medium plate and then mince for a second time. You should then see this (apologies for the quality, it was a quick photo taken on my iphone):

IMG_0260_resized.JPG

From this point, it's a simple case of deciding what you want to make. If you want burgers, then simply weight them into quarter pounders and shape. If you want meatballs, then shape them into meatballs of the size of your choice.

I opted to make meatballs, and after cooking off a good lot of this to taste test (and because my dad was mooching the whole time I was making these as he's never seen me make them!) I got enough to fill a cereal bowl, which is plenty for dividing and freezing for later use, as you can see below:

IMG_0263_resized.JPG

One thing I have found is to leave them in the fridge overnight. This allows the flavours to mingle and develop, or bloom as it's called in the sausage making world, and they taste even better than they do when they are freshly made!

This was one I came up with in a similar way (I used a slightly different recipe) about a year and a half ago for my girlfriend at the time. She has IBS, and couldn't eat red meat, so it was a way for her to get some meat back into what had become a largely vegetarian diet, since the only meat she ate was fish and rarely had chicken. This goes incredibly well with a nice marinara style sauce as they take the flavour of the sauce really well! (Just remember to part cook them first!)

I hope you enjoy these as much as my family and now ex have. With it being turkey, it is very low in fat (around 5% normally), and the rest of the nutritional aspects are quite similar to the classic steak burger, but obviously with a bit more salt this time (although you can use the same amount with equal success, or remove the salt entirely and use a beaten egg!)

Reactions: 3 people