Twice Daily Lantus (glargine)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is the article that demonstrates 2/daily Lantus is more effective than 1/daily Lantus

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16911626

Diabet Med. 2006 Aug;23(8):879-86.
Twice-daily compared with once-daily insulin glargine in people with Type 1 diabetes using meal-time insulin aspart.
Ashwell SG1, Gebbie J, Home PD.

CONCLUSIONS:
Blood glucose concentration rises in the late afternoon in association with falling plasma insulin levels towards the end of the 24-h period after insulin glargine injection in some people with Type 1 diabetes using once-daily glargine at dinner-time plus a rapid-acting insulin analogue at meal-times. This is prevented by twice-daily injection of insulin glargine.

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
That's awesome, thanks Spiker. I have experience managing Lantus for someone I was a caregiver for, and a close friend is T1 and uses it once daily. I want to gently persuade him to switch to twice daily as all his BGs are too high. This article will help.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is also what Dr Bernstein does routinely with his patients, T1 and IDD T2.

Reactions: 2 people