TWO different readings in 10 secs!

pedro606

Hi,

The nurse at my Health Centre has asked me to keep a record of my BG over a two week period on any two days in a week. Testing three times daily BEFORE breakfast, lunch and dinner and maybe before I go to bed if i can remember.

This morning it was 5.1 -My breakfast was scrambled eggs, a small portion of no sugar added baked beans and a fairly large frankfurter sausage all washed down with a mug of tea-- lovely it was too! A little later I went out for a walk for about an hour. Before I sat down for lunch i took a reading and I was amazed that my reading showed 9.6 I could not believe, this so I took it again a few seconds later using another finger with a new strip of course. It was 5.3

Any idea why this should be and what reading is likely to be accurate as I have to record it.

I am trying to be a good boy with cutting down on cabs in a big way and doing more exercise.

Thanks, Pete

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya pete,
maybe your finger was contaminated causing it to be higher :D

Orchid

The only things I can think of are as already mentioned, maybe your finger was contaminated. Wash hands before testing. The only other thing is that sometimes if you don't quite get enough blood on the strip, you might not get an accurate reading.

Trinkwasser

pedro606 said:
Hi,

The nurse at my Health Centre has asked me to keep a record of my BG over a two week period on any two days in a week. Testing three times daily BEFORE breakfast, lunch and dinner and maybe before I go to bed if i can remember.

She's obviously trying to prove that testing doesn't work and that strips are wasted on Type 2s.

The times you *need* to test are *after* you've eaten - so you can see what effect the food has had and whether you ever want to eat it again.

You could ask why she has chosen to ignore this important fact?

pedro606

I agree. I have been taking the BG's after meals anyway. I honestly don't think they actually know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

I shall keep a seperate 'log' for myself anyway and I will put the info she has asked me to record on the log she gave me. I will then ask why the readings 'after' a meal are considered unimportant.

I had to see the dietician at the surgery yesterday. She visits once a month. I live in a semi rural area of Wales. Always a problem being away from the City. Of course, when I spoke to her I was 'armed' with all the info that I have gleaned from this site. I tried not to come across as a 'know it all'- which I am not anyway. She still emphasised the point of eating starchy carbohydrates. No wonder us 'newbies' are confused.

What did surprise me was that at the end of the chat she told me that if I had access to the internet then diabetes.co.uk is a good site to visit. Obviously that is good advice to give out-- the point is that she should also visit the site to keep up to date!

Pete new T2

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Possibly she's confused us with Diabetes uk?

pedro606

I could not get on to the link you gave us. Was I the only one?

I have never heard of this 101 so I am keen to have a read of it.

Pete

pedro606

Broads,

Many thanks for that site. Such a lot of extremely usful information indeed. It would obviously do a lot of GP's and diabetic nurses good to read this site as well.

I really suspect that my GP should have reacted a lot lot earlier to my blood sugar levels in the past few years. I can always remember the nurse telling me after my 6 monthly blood sugar tests that I was 'borderline'. I cannot remember clearly but once I recall her saying that the level was 6.4

Obviously this meant nothing to me then-- all my trust was placed in them to do the right things.

My GP was obviously more concerned with the cholestrol and put me on statins and ignored the blood sugar level until a few months back it must have risen to a level that only HE recognised as 'high' and then sent me for a GTT and all the rest is now history. That site mentions that GP's obsession with cholestrol control rather than blood sugar is due to 'aggressive' marketing of statins.

I was quite upset to read that. Also since I was diagnosed my GP has not decided to see me but has left it to the nurses. I am going to make an appt to see him asap and thrash all this out. I also have bad pins and needles in my feet and hands at night.

This coming wednesday I have my 3 monthly cancer follow-up appt with the haematologist consultant -- I shall certainly ask him/her a few questions about all this. I must find out what my blood sugar test results have been with them over the past year or so.

Once again, thanks for that site.

Pete