Two million people at risk of type 2 diabetes

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to this News item:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/Feb/Two-million-people-at-risk-of-type-2-diabetes.html

the number of people at risk of type 2 diabetes in the UK is at its highest ever - things are getting worse. (I heard that if current trends continue then T2D alone will bankrupt the NHS in 25 years. Already £3M per day drug bill.)

In other words, whatever the reason, the current approach just isn't working.

NHS national clinical director for obesity and diabetes, Professor Jonathan Valabhji said:

“The NHS Long Term Plan sets out the part we are playing to tackle the situation including piloting low calorie diets to achieve type 2 diabetes remission, and doubling capacity of our world leading NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme that can prevent people developing in the first place.”​

Apparently low calorie diets are the correct way to treat the problem, according to the NHS expert, except they have such a notoriously poor success rate (as explained in a 1919 US medical book entitled A Biometric Study of Basal Metabolism in Man, so he's going by theory a mere 100 years out-of-date.)

Rather than consider why the current approach is failing, the NHS will be "doubling capacity of our world leading NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme" which continues the ineffective approach of calorie restriction and assumes patients are at fault for it being ineffective.

I'm so glad I found this forum!

Edit to add: This paper from 1959 says "This study grew out of an attempt to resolve a paradox—the contrast between my difficulties in treating obesity and the widespread assumption that such treatment was easy and effective." Sound familiar?

Doing their own study of 100 patients, who were referred for treatment for obesity, they found only 12% lost 20 pounds and just one person (1%) lost 40 pounds. They were not surprised by such a low success rate. The paper also reports on their own long-term effectiveness: "Furthermore, two years later, only two percent of patients had maintained their 20-pound weight loss."

I have heard of other much more recent but otherwise similar studies which had an even lower long-term success rate! It seems like we haven't made much progress on a 98% failure rate in 60 years...

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Reminds me of “Don’t mention the war. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.” from Fawlty Towers.

Don’t mention the carbohydrate. We mentioned it once but hopefully no one noticed. As long as it’s still all about calories we can keep blaming the victims for all of this.

Two steps forward and two steps back :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Evie-D

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was interesting that in the recent report on longevity in the UK in which it was discovered that women from the poorest areas had reduced life expectancy. This was quickly causally linked to Austerity without any discussion of what these women were dying younger from.
We've increased our longevity in the main by not dying in childbirth, curing infections and latterly giving up smoking. We can't expect to see continued improvement in health and life spans if we simply put a pharmaceutical plaster on symptoms.
There are prevention programmes and the low carb approach is officially an option so the tanker is slowly turning around as the evidence grows in favour of lchf,ironically given there was never anything more than an hypothesis to support HCLF!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was on a course today and a lady mentioned she had type 2 diabetes and on Insulin. She had previously loss 10 stone in weight and is still overweight. We had our lunch and she had a prepacked salmon sandwich, a pot of fruit, an apple and a Walkers packet of prawn crisps and had a couple of sweets. Another lady who is obese is cutting out sugar in tea and coffee for lent, also, her daughter is getting married in 5 weeks and wants to look nice for the wedding.

Another person,I know a male, loss 4 stone by drastically changing his lifestyle, he mostly eats 1 small to medium meal a day and mainly drinks sparkling water, with an odd coffee or tea and no diabetes medication at present.

HumbleKath65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is still a lot of ignorance about T2 diabetes and in my experience the NHS, including DN’s are often just as ignorant as jo public when it comes to the issue of carbs.

I struggled for many years after diagnosis to keep my BG stable, took the advice of my DN, (healthy plate, reducing sugar cutting out fat etc) I wasn’t advised to do any BG testing of my own, told that my lifestyle and weight were mostly to blame. Yet despite upping my exercise and trying to eat good foods I lost very little weight and never really got a good grip on BG levels.
It’s my own research that has helped me, after discovering the LCHF diet I am finally seeing great improvements and I’ve only been at it for 3 weeks. I’ve done a bit of experimenting with different carbs to see how my body deals with them and the bottom line is that my body just can’t deal with carbs at all!!!
I haven’t discussed any of this with my DN yet so it will be interesting to see what her response will be. I will be taking along my recordings of carb intake and BG to show her at my next revue.

Reactions: Honeyend
D

Deleted member 308541

Another lady who is obese is cutting out sugar in tea and coffee for lent, also, her daughter is getting married in 5 weeks and wants to look nice for the wedding.
For some reason I find this hilarious...
0y4h3.gif