Type 1, 22 weeks, insulin resistance and metformin

s230787

Hiya wondered if any other T1 mums or mums to be had had this suggested to them?

I'm currently 22 weeks and take approx 140 units a day (100 novorapid, 40 lantus) it's a significant increase from my low carb days and pre pregnancy amounts. The diabetic doc at the hospital has suggested that in a few weeks due to the large amount of insulin I am taking and the high chance that it will increase over the next few weeks that she may put me on metformin alongside my insulin. (this is the third doc I've seen during the 22 weeks and the only one to mention insulin resistance and metformin!!)

I wouldn't have a problem with this, I know what metformin does but the NHS website states that you should not take metformin whilst pregnant. I know the docs know what they are doing (I hope) but sometimes I feel they talk to me like I have gestational diabetes and that altering doses, carb counting etc is something new (which it certainly isn't!!!)

My HB is 28 at the mo or 4.7%, blood sugars fine and all ok at the 20 week scan.

Was/has any other T1s prescribed it during pregnancy and or what are your thoughts/comments??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up to the top of the forum in the hope that you get some replies.

beckytmc

Hi im not type 1 but i am also on metformin while pregnant and been told that it will help my body absorb the insulin faster and better

Sweetypie25

Hiya...im similat to yourself....im now 22 weeks take
Roughly 30 units novarapid and 12 lantus and have now been placed on metformin.

I am quite nervous has i have now reduced number of hypos and feel metformin may increase. But the doctor explained as i get bigger the insulin resistance increases at momment they have placed me on a low carb diet which they said i may loose weight from.
I am ready slim as it is and am scared with all this medication may go even more.

How are u finding the metformi ?

X

s230787

I'm now 26 weeks and on 2 x 500mg twice a day. It has reduce my insulin novorapid intake dramatically though so feeling happier.

I am feeling a little bit sicky though, don't know if it's the meds or the acid reflux though :) - the joys

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App