Type 1 and 2

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Hi all I see a lot of arguments between all
regarding t1 and t2 lifestyle choices being the blame for T2 all I can add being T2 myself is up until two and a half years ago I was perfectly healthy, normal weight exercised and life was sweet, then I was in a hit and run car crash the seatbelt almost cut through my throat bruising ect from then I started to feel ill this went on for a few months then my mum very suddenly passed away and I became very ill exactly 6 months after the crash my doctors said my thyroid levels were too high meantime I ended up in bed for weeks at a time I felt like I was dying in fact I prayed every day and night to sleep and not wake up.
I kept telling the doctors this and about massive and very fast weight gain even though I would barely eat I was ignored for over a year then another doctor did various blood tests spirometry tests ect and I received a letter, I had type 2 diabetes,hypothyroidism,and asthma apparently the hypothyroidism caused the diabetes and asthma and now even though we are two and a half years down the line I'm still not on the proper medication for hypothyroidism and still pray most nights not to wake in the morning.My point is diabetes is a sneaky horrible disease no matter what type it is and should never be stereotyped, My brother is type 1 and my Mother was type 2 both slim and ate healthy I too hate when I see the news this morning ect and some **** claims oh it's lazy greedy fat people and their choices that caused it they are costing the nhs millions it sickens me as guess what I don't fit that category and neither do thousands of other T2s anyway just thought I would share and rant over stay healthy everyone xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Take care of yourself, and thank you for sharing your story, sorry you have had such a sad time.

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
annepgill said:
Hi all I see a lot of arguments between all
regarding t1 and t2 lifestyle choices being the blame for T2 all I can add being T2 myself is up until two and a half years ago I was perfectly healthy, normal weight exercised and life was sweet, then I was in a hit and run car crash the seatbelt almost cut through my throat bruising ect from then I started to feel ill this went on for a few months then my mum very suddenly passed away and I became very ill exactly 6 months after the crash my doctors said my thyroid levels were too high meantime I ended up in bed for weeks at a time I felt like I was dying in fact I prayed every day and night to sleep and not wake up.
I kept telling the doctors this and about massive and very fast weight gain even though I would barely eat I was ignored for over a year then another doctor did various blood tests spirometry tests ect and I received a letter, I had type 2 diabetes,hypothyroidism,and asthma apparently the hypothyroidism caused the diabetes and asthma and now even though we are two and a half years down the line I'm still not on the proper medication for hypothyroidism and still pray most nights not to wake in the morning.My point is diabetes is a sneaky horrible disease no matter what type it is and should never be stereotyped, My brother is type 1 and my Mother was type 2 both slim and ate healthy I too hate when I see the news this morning ect and some **** claims oh it's lazy greedy fat people and their choices that caused it they are costing the nhs millions it sickens me as guess what I don't fit that category and neither do thousands of other T2s anyway just thought I would share and rant over stay healthy everyone xx

Hi Anne,

Thanks for sharing your story... you've had a very difficult time, resulting in diabetes which is none of your fault.

I regret to say I was involved in the other thread about Type 1 and 2 and lifestyle choices, :( so I can relate to what you're saying.

Without going into too much detail, I got hypothyroidism because of having to take a lot of very strong drugs for another condition. In addition, I had several courses of steroids too, ostensibly to help the other drugs work. All of this, and stress, resulted in weight gain such as you've described, and I ended up with diabetes too. So I guess I would say that I don't fit into the "lazy greedy fat people and their choices that caused it they are costing the nhs millions" category either, but that doesn't stop people repeating the cr*p that they read in the Daily Mail or wherever.

I don't like to see that sort of prejudice anywhere, and particularly on a forum such as this which is supposed to support diabetics of all types. I might be prepared to believe that weight gain is a risk factor or a tipping point for diabetes, but I don't believe that it's the whole story.

I hope you manage to get better treatment for your hypothyroidism. I'm not sure mine is entirely under control, although it does sound a lot better than yours. Keep on at your GP and/or endocrine consultant to make sure they give you the best treatment, so you can feel better.

Take care
Elle.

L

Luna21

I too have type 2 and I believe that medical conditions caused mine as well.

I also have hypothyroidism and other auto-immune conditions, so to blanket all Type 2's as fat and lazy helps no-one and causes real distress to those of us diagnosed with this condition. Often lay persons assume it's all our own fault as that's what they have read in the papers and on TV - we need more correct information out there for people to understand all kinds of diabetes.

I agree that the in-fighting between diabetes types isn't helpful at all. Surely we are stronger together, all trying to control our diabetes in one way or another, than trying to split everyone into little factions.

I hope you get the correct treatment you need for all your conditions, and life gets a little brighter for you very soon. Take care.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Just to add that insulin resistance in Type 2s can actually cause weight gain. If our insulin cannot get the glucose into our muscle cells because of insulin resistance, then it gets stuffed into our fat cells instead, so we put on weight. Some of the fat is stored viscerally, making things worse.

In some cases obesity may be a symptom of Type 2, not a cause. I wish someone would invent an insulin-resistant fat cell! :roll:

Viv 8)

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Hi Luna it's terrible all the different ailments combined I hope you feel better soon too my friend :) x

Pompeygirl

T2 diagnosed 3/4 months ago after a couple of years of feeling poorly and generally in pain throughout my body and joints etc.. Coincidentally (or is it?) i lost my wonderful mum after a short and devastating illness just over 2 years ago. I was fit and well and a healthy weight at the time. Over the past 2 years as my health has worsened i have gained nearly. 4 stone. I need a lot of convincing that these circumstances are not all related. But of course when diagnosed it simply looks ad though im another fat lazy typical T2 candidate,

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Hi pompeygirl am so sorry to hear of your troubles basically the same thing happened to me so I totally understand how you feel I'm still not feeling good even though I take everything that's supposed to make you feel better so I hope you get sorted really soon x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Isnt being a lazy fat over eater as legitimate a condition as anything else? do people that eat more than is healthy out of choice? if there were a "fit, slim and healthy" button, wouldnt eveyone push it? why is say depression accepted as an illness where as being unhealthy isnt? i am only saying this because the type 2`s that arent fat and apparently lazy (which in itself isnt really the case as its a vicious circle, the heavier you are the harder it is to move) seem to be saying this isnt my fault where as if your fat it is, well im not sure this is correct, i was fat (not lazy) and i did eat all the wrong things but was this due to a lack of willpower? or a genetic sweet tooth? if so was i wrong to eat that stuff? this of course could be used to excuse just about anything anyone does, but why do we accept or forgive certain things but not others, if some people get stressed over something and have a heart attack, its not your fault, if someone gets stressed over something and eats 10 mars bars they are doing it to themselves? why? they are just different mental of physical responses to the stress, therefore the "there for the grace of god go i" response is all we should have regardless of whatever anyone is suffering from? im not sure i agree with anything ive said, its just a thought as i cringe whenever i see someone say that its not fair im tarred with the same brush as the fat and lazy types. sorry if this makes no sense (remember im thick)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Andy12345 said:
Isnt being a lazy fat over eater as legitimate a condition as anything else? do people that eat more than is healthy out of choice? if there were a "fit, slim and healthy" button, wouldnt eveyone push it? why is say depression accepted as an illness where as being unhealthy isnt? i am only saying this because the type 2`s that arent fat and apparently lazy (which in itself isnt really the case as its a vicious circle, the heavier you are the harder it is to move) seem to be saying this isnt my fault where as if your fat it is, well im not sure this is correct, i was fat (not lazy) and i did eat all the wrong things but was this due to a lack of willpower? or a genetic sweet tooth? if so was i wrong to eat that stuff? this of course could be used to excuse just about anything anyone does, but why do we accept or forgive certain things but not others, if some people get stressed over something and have a heart attack, its not your fault, if someone gets stressed over something and eats 10 mars bars they are doing it to themselves? why? they are just different mental of physical responses to the stress, therefore the "there for the grace of god go i" response is all we should have regardless of whatever anyone is suffering from? im not sure i agree with anything ive said, its just a thought as i cringe whenever i see someone say that its not fair im tarred with the same brush as the fat and lazy types. sorry if this makes no sense (remember im thick)

Not thick at all Andy...I know exactly what you're saying...great post! :thumbup:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
:shock: +1 ? ive copy pasted that paul, im sending it in

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Andy12345 said:

Great point and great post Andy. It would be so fantastic if blame and finger pointing ceased. We all labour under the yoke of the same illness and this forum is a.support network. There is no place here for any discrimination against any type for.any reason. Yes, the press have gone for headline grabbing and inaccurate reporting but why should we turn On each other? I knew practically nothing about T2 when I joined this forum but have become much informed from reading posts and threads here. We have the chance to educate each other here and deepen the support we offer each other. So many many people here have an open mind but those who insist on blame.and.accusation would be better off keeping hurtful and discriminatory remarks to themselves in my opinion. The lazy journalism responsible for perpetuating a.one dimensional view of diabetes is not the fault of anyone here and we would all be better off helping each other instead of vilifying each other.