Type 1 and pregnant!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as type 1 around 15 months ago. I'm on twice daily levemir and humalog. I have struggled a lot to come to terms with my diagnosis since then but got myself on the DAFNE course in August and seem to be doing a lot better with my control since then. It wasn't perfect still but a lot better! Last time I saw my consultant I was promised an insulin pump, this was the end of September. Since then I'd had no communication from my diabetic centre even though I had been ringing to ask what had been happening but got no returned calls or answers. Now that they know I'm pregnant they've given me a date for my pump.
I found out at the beginning of last week I'm pregnant. It's early days but I have tightened my control and in really pleased with myself. My problem is for the last 3 nights I've been going to bed at around 5-6mmol then waking with ridiculous highs! Last night I woke at 2am and tested my sugars it was 20! I took some insulin but still woke at 14. I really don't know why this is happening and I'm panicking about what it could be doing to the baby. Any ideas what I could do until I have the pump?

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on your pregnancy :) Sometimes hormones early in pregnancy can cause highs. I had highs early on, and then that changed to more lows.

I would speak to your DSN for advice. In the meantime, check your insulin is ok and change it if necessary just in case there's a problem with that. Watch your evening meal - is it high fat causing later highs?

All you can do for now is test in the night and correct if necessary. Your pump should make adjustments a lot easier. Never assume you'll be high. Pregnancy can have strange effects on your blood sugar, so test lots and lots and be prepared for both highs and lows.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Charlottelucy44 - I second what @azure has said, just a thought though, could you maybe have been getting highs for a while at that time of night but not ordinarily testing at that time so didn't know? Try not to panic and as already said, correct it. Hope you get your pump soon, I've had mine nearly 2 years and it's been life changing! Couldn't be without it now!

Oh and congratulations! :) xx

Elc1112

Congratulations, @Charlottelucy44! I'm also type 1 and have just found out that I am pregnant. I have been testing much more than usual since I saw the positive test result. I was up about fifteen minutes ago feeling a little sick. Wasn't sure if it was early morning sickness or something else. I tested and my sugars were 12. I had a hypo last night, which I must have over treated in my sleepy state.

So far, my sugars have been pretty stable, apart from this one blip. I am seeing my DSN and doctor later today, though, so will be asking for advice on how to keep things this way. Like you, I'm considering asking for the pump, though I don't really know enough about it yet to say whether it will be right for me.

As others have said, just make sure you test as much as you can, and correct where necessary. It might be worth setting your alarm for every couple of hours during the night to see what your sugars are doing. That way you can work out how to solve the problem. This worked for me when I kept waking up high a few years ago.

How far along are you? I'm four weeks, so very early. Still seems a bit surreal!!

Em x

Reactions: 2 people