Type 1 and still rockin'

Joel Fabric

Hi,

I'm Joel, I'm 23 and have been type 1 diabetic for about 8 months. After finally coming to terms with the change in diet, the daily injections and the fact I can't leave the house without my insulin pen with me, I've managed to make diabetes part of my daily routine.

For anyone who thinks that finding out they're diabetic is the end of the world - it's not! Yeah, I have to watch what I eat, but I now eat a hell of a lot healthier than I used to. And it doesn't stop me doing a thing. I'm a guitarist in a band, and that involves a lot of travelling, a lot of very late nights and a lot of carrying stuff around. I thought having diabetes might mean having to give this up, but there's no reason you can't be diabetic and be an aspiring rock star! If you treat it as much a part of your routine as brushing your teeth, there's no reason being diabetic should stop you doing anything!

Joel

oh, and if you're interested, you can hear my band here: http://www.mountfabric.com

Aadrgon

Hi Joel and welcome

Glad to hear it's not put a stop to your aspirations to be a rock star and that your coping with it so well
Rock on and keep us informed of your progress :)

(will check out the website later - this PC has no sound )

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As an old fa** with an eclectic taste in music I listened and it's very good. Loved the vocals. stick with it guys !!
Ken

Aadrgon

cugila said:
As an old fa** with an eclectic taste in music I listened and it's very good. Loved the vocals. stick with it guys !!
Ken

I remember in my youth my parents disliked my music - preferring things like Val Doonican and Tom Jones I wonder how todays youth view old fa**s like us who appreciate their music ?
Do they think "oh no geriatrics like it it must be ****" or what ?
like you I'm ecletic in my taste I often nick my son's CD's to play in the car :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Aardgon wrote : I often nick my son's CD's to play in the car

They let you out ??????? :shock: :shock:

Joel Fabric

Thanks for the support guys! I'd like to prove that you don't have to be a Jonas brother with an epipod majigger to be a diabetic rock star!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Joel Fabric said:
Thanks for the support guys! I'd like to prove that you don't have to be a Jonas brother with an epipod majigger to be a diabetic rock star!

Is there an interpreter in the house ? :lol: :lol:

amy_vf16

Hi Joel,

im 22 type 1 was diagnosed 3 days ago! heard so many negative things that reading this was a pleasure! my bg is up and down, how long did it take urs to settle? is this normal?

what do u do bout chocolate etc?

nice to hear someone young on here with t1 as i havn't seen many.

sorry bout all the questions but ppl keep talking about 'complications' and all this horrible stuff! i eat loads of veg n fruit n a balanced diet and im so upset to find that so many people are being really negative about it!

please send me some positive advice!

Amy

Aadrgon

Hi and welcome Amy

Sorry no ones replied to your post yet.

The complications are caused by elevated blood sugars, as a type 1 you should be able to keep your blood glucose down with your insulin injections. A low or lower carb diet can also help as this will help you keep your insulin to a minimum.
You need to count carbohydrate in order to control your injections and you need to test your BG regularly to make sure you are in control.

Read through the boards on this forum and ask questions if and when you need to

Joel Fabric

Hi Amy. Sorry I haven't replied, been a very busy boy recently! I've sent you a PM.

Regarding the Jonas Brothers thing... I read an article recently about how one of them couldn't handle the riggors of touring and benig type 1, so got himself one of those pod things that sort your injections for you. I'd love to get rid of the hassle too, but not sure how I feel about trusting my BS to a machine...