Type 1 being passed down

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Hello!

Im a type one diabetic and im going to be a dad in July. I did panic about my child having type 1 diabeties but we spoke to the mid-wife and they said its normaly only passed down if the mum has type 1 diabeties. However when I search on the internet it doesn't say this.

Any help please? Thanks

Snodger

Type 1 is much less genetically-connected (is that the right phrase?) than type 2.

Of kids who get Type 1, 2-3% have a mother with Type 1, 5-6% have a father with Type 1. So those are pretty small risks.*
(although your midwife got it the wrong way round!)

* from the book 'Type 1 Diabetes' by Ragnar Hanas.

PS forgot to say: congrats on the forthcoming fatherhood! exciting news.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Congratulations ! :)

I think the bigger question is, does it matter? You are happy enough with your life that you're having children.
You have a home, a partner, love..... Would you be happy if your child has everything you have?

Yes, it can be a pain in the ass. But on the whole, i like my life, i'm glad i'm alive, the diabetes doesn't change that.

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
all i can say is:

my mother is diabetic, i am! devloped it as a child had a lot of stress also had a mjor illness, fever prior to getting it

I have a 22 year old son whos as fit as a fiddle!! his mum isnt a diabetic

onder if the above says any thing ?

CONGRATS and the above post is so true!!!!!!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I agree with Celtic.Piskie - that's all that matters :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congrats on the news, isn't that wonderful! :D

There are no guarantees in life. Because you have T1 doesn't mean your child will get it. Because someone doesn't have T1 doesn't mean their child won't get it. We have no family history of any type of diabetes and my daughter developed T1. There are a million other things children can develop, if we worried about all the "what if's" no one would ever have children. Relax and enjoy your little one, try not to worry about something that might never happen. :)

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Congrats on your forthcoming event.

From what I know about Type 1 (my son being diabetic when he was 3) it is not hereditary it is an autoimmune disease ( hate the word disease) where a virus attacks your immune system and from what I remember my Son was very ill the Christmas prior to his diagnosis in the January and I have always believed that. I was also told by the Consultant and DSN that there is a possibility of having Coeliacs disease (Gluten Free Diet) and 5 years on from his diagnosis he is also a Coeliac.

My father was a Type 2 later on in his life, but I have not put any connection to that whatsover as he was just to watch his diet.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
My father was diagnosed aged 14, and i was diagnosed aged 20. I have a sister who is 25 now and doesn't have diabetes

The chances are slim so i've been told. But if your child does develop diabetes, at least you can be confident as you have diabetes yourself you have experience already and know what to look out for.

There is specualation wether its herediatary or not, but i think it's not, just that if you have similar genetic make up as a parent then you might be more likely.

But i wouldn't worry too much, Its something you can't stop happening if it does.

I hope all is well and you enjoy being a daddy :)