Type 1 Burnout.

InsulinHero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes :L :D
Got to the point where i cant be bothered anymore. Any help or tips to getting back on track?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell yourself you're the bee's knees and worth looking after, because it's true.
If possible try to get plenty of rest for a while. That might help the burnout. Then, no hurry, but plan one change at a time. You are the best person to know what changes are needed.
Swimming is what helps me when I get burnout.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Got to the point where i cant be bothered anymore. Any help or tips to getting back on track?
Make a point of posting here every day ... asking or telling doesn't matter.
See if it's helped you after ten days or so.
Is there any danger you're slipping into depression?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya ok so any ideas as to what's caused this ?

Perfectly natural to feel like this, just remember it's a temporary feeling, have type 1 is like walking a tightrope, it's when your feeling like this trying to just at least take your insulin, otherwise you will feel worse, if you can do this then well done, remember you need to look after you ;)

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had many burnouts and it's hard to get back into the mindset of controlling again, but it's worth it. I find there's nothing more satisfying than a day of good blood sugars. It's a matter of training your mind into KNOWING this benefits your health :)

Reactions: 6 people

TPhoenix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

I've had diabetes for over 15 years (since I was 11), with this month marking the anniversary since I've been diagnosed and it's been a rough path and a rough journey. I've already gone through this phase before in my teen years where I didn't want to bother tending to the diabetes, eat and drink what I want, take a load of insulin and just let nature take its course. I didn't even go see my family doctor or a diabetic doctor.

Unfortunately I've paid for those actions in some ways and I'm experiencing complications because of it now in my 20's - eye problems, sexual health issues and recently a bit of a kidney condition. I'm still lucky and blessed that it's not as bad as it could have been, although I do regret and wish that I had taken better care of myself to have potentially prevented this stuff from happening to me early or at all.

So now I'm forced more than ever to want to do better and keep healthy because I want to live. I want to be able to see and I certainly don't want to be making frequent trips to the hospital for a gruesome kidney process called dialysis, so I'm doing everything I can now by seeing all my doctors, eating right, exercising and trying to maintain normal blood sugar levels. And I think you should too because diabetes is like a bully that doesn't go away and the bully will only keep taring you piece by piece, little by little until you finally realize you have to fight back!

Reactions: 9 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there something you would really, really like to do,something you love? Can you plan to do it some time in the next two weeks, and then do it? That works for me when I am catatonic with misery.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Diabetes can be so so tough and hard for younger people, I think a few of type 1's have gone through a similar feeling. Diabetes is a part of who you are, but see it as a small part. Tell it you are the boss, you are in charge and give the big D a kick up the backside from time to time.
Try not to see it as a burden ( It can be difficult),but a challenge and you are the force to be reckoned with, not the big D.

Good luck and all the very best for a brighter and more positive future.

' What lies behind us and what lies before us, is nothing compared to what lies within us'

Take care, we have a long adult life in front of us, use it well :)

RRB :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I get fed up with being "good", I walk to a shopping centre near here (40 mins), eat a big piece of cheesecake, then walk back. I feel great from the cheesecake and the exercise and the walk more than burns it off (I have to suspend my pump). I know I've got it beat and i don't have to live on beans and rice.

Reactions: 4 people