1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Diabetes and BPD

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by JJWM, Jan 4, 2016.

1. JJWM

JJWM · Member

Hi all.

I'm after some advice. I have had diabetes since the age of 12 and have never come to terms with the condition. I have have first stages of blindness (probably 2nd stages by now) In 2006/2007 I have a very bad mental health episode. Where I got diagnosed with depression and have been on various medication for depression. Although none of these have really helped. Between 2013 and now I've had yet another mental health breakdown. This time they have diagnosed me with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder)

For anyone who doesn't know what this is. Basically, I don't deal with stress very well at all. It is virtually impossible for me to control my own emotions. I'm constantly fighting my own thoughts, and don't think I'm good enough for anything. Self harm and a number of attempted suicides. (This is only half of the story)

My consultant is a nasty person and didn't give a **** when I had "depression" I think he is one of these that think mental health is all made up. On my last visit to him. I wanted to commit suicide in that very building.

Basically when I had "depression" I stated that I would not be able to put my mind to my diabetes until my personal life was looked into and fixed. Although, now I have found out it is a personality disorder.

I'm just wondering if anyone has BPD and Type 1 diabetes, and how do you find managing your diabetes with this condition? As I said (above) I'm constantly on a fighting battle with myself and hate everything. People with BPD are well known for Drink/Drug abuse as well as crime, reckless driving, binge eating and other things.

The alcohol and binge eating I can confirm. I admit I drink a fair bit because it is an escape route. I've also noticed something else. I eat and drink a lot of sugary products (as if I wasn't diabetic) I have come to conclusion that because I have such a s*** life. I'm doing whatever I can to get that "happy fix" shall we call it? Well I'm guessing why my diabetes is always unstable (amongst other reasons) I'm using sugary drinks/sweets as fix due to the sugar and "nice taste" which is giving my mood a boost.

my plan was to try and get my back on track and sort my diabetes. Although now I have this stupid disorder and have found out that I cannot control my mood/emotions. This is going to be rather difficult/impossible. Also due to this disorder, you can get very stressed/emotional on the slightest thing. This alone will not be much good for my sugars surely?

I know already I'm basically saying to myself that I'm f*****. I'm just hoping someone can shed light/ give me hope?

2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi, so sorry to read of your conditions and how it is affecting you. A friend of mine has type 2 diabetes and has many serious mental health conditions and was recently transferred to The Priory. My friend has so many problems and her texts are truly heartbreaking at times :(
    Just wondering if you have a social worker or a crisis team ? or could you get in touch with MIND ?
    Also, have you tried writing down your thoughts and feelings on paper and then tearing them up and throwing the 'bad thoughts ' away ? Writing poems or lyrics ?
    Take care and my thoughts and prayers are with you,

Best wishes RRB

3. JJWM

JJWM · Member

Hi RRB

I do have a crisis team. They've basically said that BPD is not a long term condition. However, after speaking to few people with the condition. It is a long term condition. it's not curable. it's just manageable.

I do write things down. I'm just too scared to read back what I've put. Writing and throwing the bad parts away, would be no good to me.

Thanks
    JJ

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Hi JJ

Sorry you're struggling. I can understand why that makes controlling your diabetes hard.

Have you been offered or had appropriate therapies to help you manage the BPD? (Feel free not to answer that if you don't want to)

5. JJWM

JJWM · Member

Hi Azure

When it was being treated as "Depression" I had councillors and psychologists etc. But they never seem to help, In fact some of them seem to make it worse. I would walk into the appointment happy and walk out depressed. Now they have diagnosed me with BPD. I'm on medication which is meant to help (I wish it would help quicker) and also plans of talking therapy. I'm not sure how this going to work this time around. But I'm willing to give it ago. Other than medication and talking. That seems to be it.

One of the battles is. High blood sugars make BPD symptoms worse, and I can't take on diabetes because I'm not in the right mindset?? shall we call it?

So far my family describe talking to me as walking on eggs shells.

6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

A friend at Uni was diagnosed with this. I don't know if they were on meds because I didn't like to ask, but I know they saw a psychologist for what they referred to as 'special' therapy.

The NHS site has some info about Dialectical Behaviour Therapy:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Borderline-personality-disorder/Pages/Treatment.aspx

I don't know if that was what my friend had, but it sounds very similar.

Scroll down that page to read about it.

7. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @JJWM, I am so sincerely sorry that you are going through what you have stated. I can personally relate to some of the things you have said.

I am Type 1 (34 years) and have always had difficulty in interacting with ordinary life. I have chronic GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) which basically means that I am constantly in a state of anxiety. Everything creates issues. I analyse every minute of every day and there seems to be no respite from it. A good day is just a day when the anxiety is just tolerable.

I have been on and off of antidepressants for the the last 10 years, have attended CBT and have just recently finished seeing a psychotherapist. I am also in recovery from chronic alcoholism.

Nothing comes natural to me and I feel I have to work so hard and put so much effort into everything I do just to get through each minute of every day. It is totally and utterly debilitating at times. Sometimes I am walking the "green mile" from dusk til dawn !

Despite this though I have never given up (I am far to competitive for that!) and I fight every day. My diabetes is managed, I work and I try my best to be part of what is sometimes a very dark and morbid place.

Try to keep everything as simple as possible. Diabetes management is fundamentally three simple things. 1/ stay away from sweet sugary foods 2/ keep active every day and exercise and 3/ take your medication as prescribed. Be consistent with all three and things will improve (or you will at least dramatically slow down the damage !) Also keep in close contact with your diabetes team.

Try your very hardest to put your mind to the diabetes. The only thing you are doing by trying to fix your feelings by eating sweet things is damage to your body and you have already stated the issues with your eyes !

Regarding your consultant why do you not just ask to see a different one. You have every right so why not exercise it !

I think contacting MIND is a good idea (though you may be already doing this) and keep in contact with your crisis / mental health team. Don't give up JJWM. Fight this. I support adults with paranoid schizophrenia with forensic backgrounds and depressive Illness so I know quite a bit about the mental health system and how difficult it can be being part of it but keep going.

Regarding your diabetes try to change just one thing every day one day at a time and see how you go. Keep close to this forum as there is so much wisdom here and there will always be someone that can give words of encouragement and support.

I wish you all the very best JJWM. Keep things simple and consistent.

Kevin

8. Tinyface

Tinyface Type 1 · Active Member

Hi, I am type 1 diabetic with borderline personality and have been searching for somebody like myself! I am labelled a brittle diabetic as never had any control of my blood sugars..would love to chat...I am 57, live in Bristol U.K..been type 1 for 17 years..Tina

9. Julia99

Julia99 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dialectical behavioural therapy is the treatment of choice in the NHS. Sometimes CBT is what is available and this can help. I would expect your local community mental health team is able to sort this out for you.
    Don't give up and keep banging on doors until you need what you need.

10. kitsunerin

kitsunerin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know this thread is old but I am also T1 with BPD! I was just searching on a whim to see if anyone else was! Would love to talk/rant!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook