Type 1 Diabetes Autoantibodies GAD65 or GAD67

A

Australia 1

G’Day to the Forum and a special note to Mr. Grant_Vicat. You brought this subject up in transit the other night here in a very very hot Australia I believe over pancreatic functions and Anti-GAD functions. The questions not involving you also came up about Type 2 going to Type 1. I was also told that there is a Type 3c.

So I wanted to address this issue as I now understand it form Australian Endocrinologist here in this heat. So Grant I had you in mind plus a few others who may have had a concern about “Confusion” that I was hard to understand on certain issues. I read of another “Hypo” issue that I thought this Forum handed very well. My story, and how that went is over and I expect that is that. But I did feel for that young Lady who knew she was in trouble and I learned a lot.
Grant, GAD Antibodies 65 and 67. Anti-GAD, anti-IA2, anti-Insulin and anti-islet Cell antibodies are associated with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus(autoimmune diabetes). Measurement of these antibodies is useful in predicting diabetes in the first degree relatives of Type 1 Diabectic patients, distinguishing between Type 1 DM and Type 2 DM.
The positive predictive value of these antibodies for risk of progression to Type 1 DM INCREASES with the number of antibodies from Type 2 DM. Anti-GAD antibodies may occur in stiff person Syndrome. These may be GAD65 or GAD67 antibodies whereas GAD65 antibodies are detected in Type DM. Mr. Danner’s tests detect GAD65 antibodies only.

These reports for the common man as me are really worthless as I really went to a lot of issue Grant, for what?
These men at Medical School can learn a good rap but they do not live in our bodies and in 6 Hours I will call them about there GAD65? What?
Sam

A

Australia 1

Grant_Vicat. From a Type 2 to a Type 1. My Numbers.
TYPE 1 DIABETES AUTOANTBODIES.
GAD ANTIBODY (EIA) 57 IU/mL10
IA2 ANTIBODY EIA <10 IU/mL

In his words. Raised GAD antibody implies that ones needs Insulin for there Diabetes. I hate to discuss my records be to move on I have to.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Grant_Vicat. From a Type 2 to a Type 1. My Numbers.
TYPE 1 DIABETES AUTOANTBODIES.
GAD ANTIBODY (EIA) 57 IU/mL10
IA2 ANTIBODY EIA <10 IU/mL

In his words. Raised GAD antibody implies that ones needs Insulin for there Diabetes. I hate to discuss my records be to move on I have to.
Have you had a c-peptide test as well?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with @wiflib . Type 2 does not develop in to Type 1.
Type 2 diabetics can need / become insulin dependent to control their condition but nonetheless T2 is a different condition from T1.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think Australia 1 has has had issues with cancer treatment,he has therefire developed type 1.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does not really matter now does it?
No it doesn't really matter to us. It should matter to yourself though. Especially if you are seeking advice from sources such as this forum. Advice varies for different conditions.

L

Lar oli mu

he thinks T2 can develop into T1, rather than a change of diagnosis.
Type 2, with the presence of antibodies against pancreas target sites will become type 1. So, there are different target sites in the pancreas where such a change can happen. Yes, 1 and 2 are different diseases that have nothing to do with each other but the same name, but if you look at the activity of the immune reaction against prancreatic target sites you can develop full blown type 1 from WHATEVER YOU HAD BEFORE.

Greetings from northern Germany,
Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lar oli mu

GAD Antibodies 65 and 67. Anti-GAD, anti-IA2, anti-Insulin and anti-islet Cell antibodies are associated with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus(autoimmune diabetes).

Hi Sam.

Datis Kharrazian from Harvard is the one guy along with his team to do real big time research on GAD 65 autoimmune reactivity and it's implications with diabetes. They found out that the structure of the surface of GAD is so similar to the protein structures of several foods, that when they get into the bloodstream the immune system starts mixing them up and starts destroying GAD 65, just because of similar surface structures.

The one protein that is causing most of this cross reaction damage is gluten.

But there are several other food proteins that cross react with GAD 65.
AdobePhotoshopExpress_2018_07_06_07:38:00 2.jpg

I reduced my GAD 65 anti-bodies from 120 to 30 just by cutting out the all the cross-reacting foods, that they found in their last study in 2017.

My GAD65 antibodies were 120 in 2016 when I fist heard about this playing a role in autoimmune diabetes.
What this means is: your immune system destroys GAD, which is an enzyme that works in particular in these three areas. The memory center of the brain, the thyroid and the pancreas. In the pancreas GAD has the job to help in GABA production. Without GAD there is no GABA. GABA is the neurotransmitter that sends the signal to the alpha cells to stop producing glucagon and the alpha cells have no stop mechanism.

So, if you don't have GAD in your pancreas you have unlimited glucagon. So imagine, when you enter into a stressful situation your Adrenals secrete cortisol and adrenaline which spark a fire in the alpha cells. Glucagon is released and, once in the liver, will result in glycogen being released from the liver, ending up as glucose all over your blood. Unfortunately the alpha cells have no stop mechanism. The stop mechanism is GABA, the neurotransmitter, that you don't have because you don't have GAD anymore. And GAD65 is the most common GAD in the alpha cells.

See the disaster with GAD? It is such a small enzyme, but the outcome of this failure is immense

Greetings from northern Germany,
Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Account

Agree with @wiflib . Type 2 does not develop in to Type 1.
Type 2 diabetics can need / become insulin dependent to control their condition but nonetheless T2 is a different condition from T1.
Is it possible to have type 1 AND type 2?
That is, your body produces no insulin and is resistant to the insulin which you inject?
When my BG gets high, I experience temporary insulin resistance and need to inject more insulin to bring my BG down. If this happens for prolonged periods, is it type 2?
Some years ago, I remember some discussions around this subject but everything has gone quiet and I've seen nothing for some time.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible to have type 1 AND type 2?
That is, your body produces no insulin and is resistant to the insulin which you inject?
When my BG gets high, I experience temporary insulin resistance and need to inject more insulin to bring my BG down. If this happens for prolonged periods, is it type 2?
Some years ago, I remember some discussions around this subject but everything has gone quiet and I've seen nothing for some time.
An interesting question and one that probably needs answering by someone far better educated than me.
I suppose it's possible for a T1 to display symptoms aligned to T2 diabetes through high BS levels. Nonetheless T1 will still ultimately be an autoimmune condition that attacks and destroys parts of the pancreas. This isn't the case with T2 as far as I am aware. Hence whatever symptoms, control procedures and medication may follow we will always be one or the other.
This is my understanding.:)

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Excellent post Lars, I love coming here and learning stuff. I didn't know all those foods had reactivity to GAD and/or the other types of antibodies implicated in type 1.