Type 1 diabetic having trouble with control on novomix 30 in

Fcooper

Hi all,

I'm 23 and have had Type 1 Diabetes since I was 5 years old. My diabetes has always been poorly controlled throughout my teens as i never kept an eye on my blood glucose levels and I am only just starting to try and take control of it now and testing regularly.

I am on novomix 30 insulin which I take twice daily and find it hard to control my blood glucose levels.

And help ans tips would be great and thanks in advance.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re: Type 1 diabetic having trouble with control on novomix 3

hi cooper noosrat here i too am on that treatment got it for 5 years and have poorly controlled it bcos i am afraid of it and to test it least it has increase and this worries me whole day and my day is lost! but i have taken the courage now since 2 weeks :twisted: to test it regularly and see any changes. so lets us do it! first thing in the morning test it and eat whole wheat bread 2 slices with butter and half a banana. test bs again after 2 hours. if high u know u have to cut down hte banana to 1/4. count the no of carbs in the packet of snack if u are taking. eat plenty of salad and water. u can have at 2 small bars square of chocolate not daily! eat oatmeal to fill the belly. drink whn hungry. dont touch cold drinks (for me not good now i know n i have taken a whole lot during those past 5 years! oh my god :oops: ) try anything u like to eat but test ur bs after 2 hrs of eating them u will get an idea of what is good for u. and i am trying to count carbs (not so successful as i have found no guide yet) hope this help n u tell me later

iHs

Hi

Although I now use bolus/basal to control my bg levels, I did spend about 20 years using twice daily insulins and didn't have too much in the way of problems.

The key thing to get the insulin controlling bg levels all ok is to test bg levels before eating and then 2 or 2.5hrs later and then start to alter the amount of carbohydrate that is eaten so that whatever time that bg level is too high or too low, the altering of carb can rectify the problem.

Do you eat the 'little and often' way of controlling bg or are you just eating 3 meals per day?

Fcooper

Hi noosrat thanks for the reply,

I am currently in that stage of testing so see how what I eat effects my BG but I do not count my carbs I am just taking note of what I eat and seeing what happens to my BG but will start trying to count the amount of carbs I'm eating.

I too have only started testing regularly in the last few weeks after about 10 years of not testing as I was afraid as well. Thanks for the advice I'll let everyone know of any improvements I might have.

Fcooper

Hi iHs thanks for the reply.

At the moment I'm eating 3 meals a day and snacking in between. I know I shouldn't do this (which is why my diabetes has been poorly controlled for years) but thought I'd still do it to see how it effects my BG levels, then make adjustments to my eating habits and/or insulin.

I'm currently testing my BG as much as I can throughout the day, when I 1st wake up, before meals, after meals, a couple of hours after meals ect. They just seem to go up and down and up and down, it's hard to get it between 5 and 8 and then keep it there (which is what I'm aiming for, if I'm wrong then let me know).

I am trying to go on to the insulin you are on as apparently you can control diabetes better with it but by doctor said to get it better controlled whilst I'm on this treatment 1st.

Thanks for the advice though I'll let you know if I have any improvements, any further advice would be much appreciated!