1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 - Diagnosed 3 weeks ago and currently on holiday for 1 week. Any tips??

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by MattHarman, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MattHarman

MattHarman Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone my name's Matt, I'm 26 and got diagnosed with type 1 about 3 weeks ago.

I'm currently on Holiday for a week in Spain so it got diagnosed at a terrible time as I'm pretty clueless still. My levels are all over the place.

Anyone have any tips to help? I still wanna drink and enjoy the sunshine of course

P.s would also be great to have a few buddies going through the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @MattHarman , two main things to watch out for.

If you're walking around a lot doing sightseeing, that counts as exercise, and that alone can lower blood glucose quite a lot, so if you're a lot more active than usual, it's a good idea to reduce meal injections a bit - by how much will depend on you and your general levels, can't advise on dosing, but it's not uncommon to reduce by about a quarter or third or half depending on how much exercise.

The other thing is, yes, T1s can drink alcohol, but be careful with it in these early days. What happens is that your liver releases glucose to keep you going in between meals, and your basal insulin takes care of that. When you drink, though, the liver prioritises metabolising the alcohol, and reduces by quite a lot the amount of glucose it releases. That can be a problem as the basal is still there in the background and it can drop your bg too low overnight if there's not enough glucose coming in from the liver. It's usually a good idea to have a carby supper after a night out, slice of pizza, cheese on toast or even just a few oatcakes or biscuits to provide the "missing" glucose.

• Like Like x 3
  3. MattHarman

MattHarman Type 1 · Member

That's really helpful! The extra exercise probably explains my dip in levels and I'll certainly be sure to have a carby supper and see how that goes over the next few days.

4. Type1_of_a_Kind

Type1_of_a_Kind Type 1 · Newbie

Presuming you're not travelling alone, the most important thing is to let other people know that you are now diabetic. Show them how to test, and get them to remind you to test (1) if you're acting funny (2) before you go to bed. Make them aware that if you need to increase your BG levels, it should be in the form of a fizzy drink if you're extremely low (<3.5 for example...) and/or some starchy carbs. Most importantly, ensure you have carbs and glucose on you at all times, and that you check your blood regularly.

There's plenty of information on drinking throughout the forum and on the internet - it's a good idea to do plenty of reading. Type 1's can drink, but take precautions. Also test very regularly throughout the night. It also depends what you are drinking? Be careful with spirits + mixers, as most mixers are high sugar (i.e. if drinking vodka and coke, ensure it's a diet coke). I found that beer generally cancels out the carbs with the alcohol, but everyone is different.

If you're injecting a nighttime basal, set yourself an alarm - or take it a bit earlier than usual, as it is possible to forget to take it while you are out. Likewise, in the morning, it is a good idea to set an alarm to check your blood and take your morning dose before going back to bed (assuming you're hungover). Your blood sugars may be quite messy after drinking for a few days as well, so be warned. I think if you're drinking heavily over the next while, it's better to be on the high side than the low side however.

Reminder to drink plenty of water in hot weather, as dehydration increases your blood sugars. Obviously this will also help your liver. You may need to increase your basal a small bit also to compensate.

Those are the main points I'm thinking of right now. Feel free to ask plenty of questions as the first few weeks/months/years are a bit of a whirlwind.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook