Type 1 diagnosis

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again. So been to see the endo today after I had a positive GAD result, and told me I'm now a type 1 honeymooning .I was diagnosed initially as t2 in April. Couple of questions.. my blood sugars have been controlled .. but my weight loss is a concern as I've now lost 17lbs and nor trying to. I had been prescribed Metformin and gliclizide initially but stopped taking them and went the diet route. He's told me to take gliclizide in a smaller dose to help with my insulin production . Is it true that can accelerate beta cell destruction?
I eat a lot and low carb but been increasing the carbs to help try and maintain my weight not working. My latest hba1c is 47 down from 92 . He says glic will help put weight on ?
Also the islets test was negative ? Confused do I need yet another opinion ?

jgordon5

Hello again. So been to see the endo today after I had a positive GAD result, and told me I'm now a type 1 honeymooning .I was diagnosed initially as t2 in April. Couple of questions.. my blood sugars have been controlled .. but my weight loss is a concern as I've now lost 17lbs and nor trying to. I had been prescribed Metformin and gliclizide initially but stopped taking them and went the diet route. He's told me to take gliclizide in a smaller dose to help with my insulin production . Is it true that can accelerate beta cell destruction?
I eat a lot and low carb but been increasing the carbs to help try and maintain my weight not working. My latest hba1c is 47 down from 92 . He says glic will help put weight on ?
Also the islets test was negative ? Confused do I need yet another opinion ?
Are your blood sugars being controlled by insulin? Usually there is quite a weight gain when you first start using insulin. I was wrongly diagnosed with t2 initially even though I had lost weight (6.5 stone). The gliclazide and metformin made me so ill I stopped taking them as soon as I started using insulin. I had significant weight gain then and I believe the usual amount when someone starts taking insulin is a about 1 to 1.5 stone. So if you're now on insulin and metabolising the food you eat well now, then in theory you should be able to gain weight and then maintain it.

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
No not on no medication at all at the minute been told to take the gliclizide, my BG range tends to be in between 5 and 7 most of the time. But told that's the honeymoon. But weight is still slowly dropping as said so much so I've started to increase my carb intake again

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I asked the endo what my gad result was and he said positive, I asked if there was a number and he just said you either get negative positive and strong positvie and mine was just positive. Is this normal or do they deliberately withhold information ?its just I've seen people quoting numbers on other threads

Cheers

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I th its normal. There are different scales. The point is positive or negative, I think.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I always request copies of blood test results, so i can keep my own records and watch trends over time.

Reactions: 2 people