Type 1 ~ eat what you like, when you like??????

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Please someone enlighten me... I'm newly diagnosed (Nov. 2010) T1. I've heard it been said many times that being T1, you can eat what you like, when you like! well.... I'm a little confused here, as I am on HumulinM3 twice a day. If I eat so much as a biscuit mid morning my BG shoots up from about 7 to 14!! so how come ?? and If I eat a dessert too, then what 19 ?? so PLEASE explain..

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This information applies to those T1's on a basal/bolus regime or using an insulin pump. You carbohydrate count the food you plan to eat and then inject or deliver via a pump the insulin needed to cover the carbs in that meal/snack. It won't work with a twice daily injection programme. But even with the basal/bolus or pump I wouldn't say it's a licence to go crazy and eat sugar loaded foods, you'd still need to be fairly sensible about what you eat but you do get more flexibility than on the twice daily regime.

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
SophiaW said:
This information applies to those T1's on a basal/bolus regime or using an insulin pump. You carbohydrate count the food you plan to eat and then inject or deliver via a pump the insulin needed to cover the carbs in that meal/snack. It won't work with a twice daily injection programme. But even with the basal/bolus or pump I wouldn't say it's a licence to go crazy and eat sugar loaded foods, you'd still need to be fairly sensible about what you eat but you do get more flexibility than on the twice daily regime.

Oh I see, I wondered. thanks for that. I wish I knew why they choose one over the other.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They often put newly diagnosed people onto the twice daily injections whilst they get used to the injecting. Particulary young children can find injections stressful at first and fewer injections help to ease them into things. Some people prefer to have fewer injections and if it works well for them then there's no problem then. Many people however find the multi daily injections (basal/bolus) much more flexible and quickly move onto that following diagnosis. It's all down to what fits with your lifestyle and what gives you the best control. If you feel the multi injections would suit you better then there's no reason you shouldn't change.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
susieg said:
I wish I knew why they choose one over the other.
I was refused mixed insulin, they said it was far to inflexible for anyone, and two insulins gives better control. I asked why did mixed injections exist then, they said for needle phonics, people who might be noncompliant or who are incapable of working out or remembering what to inject when (because with two injections a day, someone can supervise the injections, this is harder with the 4 injections needed for separate insulins), and for people used to that regime who could not cope with changing.
I got the impression my diabetes team were not fans of mixed insulins!