1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Geography?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by trefall, Nov 6, 2015.

1. trefall

trefall Type 1 · Member

I just joined to get opinions from European Type 1s. I'm curious if anyone has read or better yet studied the diets of the countries at the top of the list https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_u...by-incidence-of-Type-1-diabetes-ages-0-to-14/
    It seems to me those are all high fat (milk, cheese, etc) cultures. No? I know very little about European cultures. I vaguely recall hearing a theory years ago about a milk protein being a possible cause of Type 1.
    I wondered if it was a matter of the diets in those countries changing in recent years (e.g. consumption of more wheat products etc.)

I'm glad to see the forum supports low carb. Not really common here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The cows milk theory was around in the early 80's, they say the likely cause is a viral infection but there's nothing concrete as yet, genetics does play a part if you have a family history of type 1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

There are various theories relating to geographical distribution. A lack of Vitamin D is one - northern countries like Finland have more Type 1. The cows milk theory is still going. For example, breastfeeding reduces the risk of Type 1.

It's a complicated condition and it's possible there is more than one cause.

• Like Like x 5
  4. trefall

trefall Type 1 · Member

Thanks for the replies. I've read bits and pieces here and there but there are so many conflicting studies a person really can't be sure what to believe anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

One day we will know the answer @trefall, until that day.....................................

• Like Like x 2
  6. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My situation certainly supports the milk theory. In grade school I drank about 3 gallons (~11liters) of milk a week (although it was fat-free milk). Diagnosed with T1 at 27 years old. No family history of T1

7. nmr1991

nmr1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

my theory will always be artificial sweeteners, although no family history, 2 siblings have it thus far

8. kitsunerin

kitsunerin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The milk theory is really interesting - I certainly drank a LOT of milk as a kid. We didn't have soda and such so much so I tended to drink a pint glass of milk instead. Will be interesting if it is ever proven correct though.

9. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ive always liked milk!

10. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

As I understand it, it's more the early introduction of cow's milk rathe than the quantity, hence the link with not breastfeeding. There are various theories about what mechanism might cause the diabetes. I talked to my consultant about it when I had my children as I was scared they'd get diabetes too and frustrated we still didn't know what caused it.

It's a very interesting subject. I still find it hard that we don't know the precise mechanism(s) even now.

11. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

@azure, as parents there won't be many of us who hasn't had that conversation with a Dr or Consultant.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

There are five children in my family and I am the only one with type 1 diabetes. My sister is 13 months younger than me and we both grew up with free milk in schools.
    As teenagers, when we came home from school, we would have a snack of some sort, her's was often a sugar sandwich :yuck: she hasn't got diabetes.
    It's down to our body chemistry, some people are just more susceptible to the 'trigger' which then sets something off( auto immune conditions) My brothers, sister and I were bottle fed.

• Like Like x 4
  13. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I never really liked milk and hardly drank it as a kid. My parents weren't big milk drinkers either. Just to put a curveball in there.

14. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agree there are probably many factors, another is mentioned today, in a news item about oldest children - i am one - see
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34700739, it mentions the oldest are more likely to get Type one - it struck me there are less oldest children in some of the countries low on the list, as there are bigger families in many of them, though not all. Also oldest children used to be - not sure now - less likely to be breastfed for as long

15. Stefano

Stefano Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Trefall. this "List of countries by incidence of Type 1 diabetes ages 0 to 14" is, in a certain way, misleading. It shows Finland as n.1 and Italy as n.32. But actually Sardinia (Italy- where I come from) has the 2nd highest T1 incidence in the world...and the diet, in Sardinia, is not actually much different from the rest of Italy. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956826/).
    I remember I read, in the past, about the milk theory. I also read about a theory which linked diabetes to sunlight (which can make sense for very Northern countries like Finland but it doesn't make any sense when you think Sardinia is one of the sunniest areas in Europe).

16. becky.ford93

becky.ford93 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can't agree with the cows milk theory. I have it on my cereal but would never drink it as I don't really like the taste, and was breastfed as a baby....so I'd be pretty surprised if that's what caused it for me!

• Like Like x 2
  17. trefall

trefall Type 1 · Member

Thanks for all the replies. Stefano - Very Interesting! I found another map but I'm not sure about the quality. It's from 2010. The darker the color the higher incidence. I'm figuring there has to be a pattern but can't figure out what it is. http://www.freedom-meditech.com/ind...sional - ECP_Why_Screen&category=Professional
    As many mentioned, there is evidence for and against the 'milk theory'. It's possible there is a genetic predisposition. If it's environmental, diet would be the most direct environmental link. Since I know very little about European cultures and diets I'm hoping by public discussion from people with first-hand experience we can guide researchers toward an answer.

18. Robinredbreast

I am 4 th in line of 5 children !!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Robinredbreast

I read an article today,( at the hospital) that Finland, about 54%, with Norway and Sweden are tops with a very high % of newly diagnosed type 1's, also Saudi Arabia, lots and lots of sun and Vitamin D there and the UK about 28%. It was an article about Type 1 in teens and how in the 1980's/90's, type 1 was much rarer in school children, the man was the only diabetic in his school at the time and no none knew much about it, it said it was about 8 children now.

#19 Robinredbreast, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  20. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Interesting @Robinredbreast I often think about the prevalence per country and wonder if that can provide any useful information.

Yes, the increase in children is shocking. I think I read it had doubled (?) in the last ten or fifteen years. Again, you have to ask why.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook