Type 1 Gym and Sugar

back2base

Hi everyone

I've subscribed here before but can not remember my details whatsoever as it was about 10 years ago or so.

Anyway, I've been type 1 for 10 years now and weigh has been a problem. I used to go gym regulary and generally pretty fit but losing weight has been a problem.

Basically, I like to go the gym when I can and I'm very aware of hypo's and have a pump to keep tight control. Despite that I do get highs and lows quite often so going to the gym is tricky.

Are there any sugar foods for hypo's which are 'reasonably healthy' and linked to gym. You see there is no point me going to the gym if I have to have mini cokes and lots of calories to get there as it negates it.

Any suggestion on a food that would bring up the bloods but not be so damaging to the goal?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you have highs and lows quite often, that's not a statement most of us would associate with tight control.

I say that because in this case, it makes a lot more sense to address the underlying issue (in this case, insulin management) rather than look for a temporary fix (glucose).

Unfortunately, what you're asking for doesn't scientifically exist. You cannot create energy only transfer it. In this case, that means getting that energy from carbohydrates (sugar) and eventually turning it into glucose. Coke has a lot of calories because it contains a lot of sugar. That sugar is best to avoid when possible (why I suggest addressing your insulin issues), but there's no way around avoiding calories if you're trying to correct a hypo.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am on a pump too and by accident a week ago I went on a walk which turned into a strenuous hill climb as a result I had a bad hypo so ate my daughters small banana, it picked me up a treat, I went from 2.8mmol/l to about 7.8mmol/l in 30 mins so I would in future have one of these instead of sugar to treat a hypo when exercising. I am not keen on sugar at all and rarely have it so now keep a stash of bananas.

Reactions: 4 people

Steph22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always use fruit juice cartons when I'm out and about - 200ml carton is roughly 20g carbs and about 90-100cal.
Try and opt for a banana if you're at home or tinned fruit in light juice rather than syrup :)

back2base

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you have highs and lows quite often, that's not a statement most of us would associate with tight control.

I say that because in this case, it makes a lot more sense to address the underlying issue (in this case, insulin management) rather than look for a temporary fix (glucose).

Unfortunately, what you're asking for doesn't scientifically exist. You cannot create energy only transfer it. In this case, that means getting that energy from carbohydrates (sugar) and eventually turning it into glucose. Coke has a lot of calories because it contains a lot of sugar. That sugar is best to avoid when possible (why I suggest addressing your insulin issues), but there's no way around avoiding calories if you're trying to correct a hypo.

Not condensing at all but that's why I choose the phrase that I did - i.e. I have high and lows and thats why I have a pump.

And appreciate your comments I really do but that's the kind of answer overall I was trying to avoid and receive online and from doctors. Everyone understands of treating the underlying issue and that is the dream. Some individuals have better results than others even though it's the exact same advice and exact same treatment. Trust me - science isn't a 100% art always. I've had a week when I've had less calories than expended but still gained weight etc

back2base

Will try banana.

I am very insulin resistance so generally have to have more sugar than most would e.g. 2.8, a banana wouldn't cut it normally so would need about 3 sometimes to get myself up in half an hour.

Great suggestions so far though :)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trust me - science isn't a 100% art always. I've had a week when I've had less calories than expended but still gained weight etc
That's the wonderful thing about science....it isn't art, and there's always an answer. Unfortunately, we don't always know what that is. For example, your situation could be explained by increased water retention, undigested food, or a number of other reasons why your bodyweight might increase, even though you've maintained a caloric deficit.

Let me ask you very directly: what kind of an answer ARE you looking for?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are very insulin resistant it might be worth considering this from a Double Diabetes perspective. To treat t2 and reduce insulin resistance, both low carb and very low calorie diets have been shown to be effective.

It strikes me that what you are in need of is a slightly different approach to managing yourself and one of these may help.

The usual reason that gym sessions beget hypos is residual insulin from previous meals, so if you can manage an insulin reduction by eating fewer carbs and also use less for the meals before you go to the gym, you should see an improvement in sensitivity and a reduction in hypos. Speaking from experience, it worked for me.

Your comment about a banana not cutting it doesn't tie in with insulin resistance. If you are hugely insulin resistant you'd need more insulin to deal with a banana, so I'm being a bit dumb here but indoor understand how that works!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@back2base, have a look at Runsweet, it was set up for people like yourself who are type 1 and enjoy sport/keeping fit:

http://www.runsweet.com/

Also, if you have the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts there's a good chapter in there discussing exercise and insulin adjustments.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
During my DAFNE course, I was instructed to change my basal insulin, from Tresiba to Levemir.
On the next day of my switch, the Tresiba overlapped with Levemir therefore, during the DAFNE course I experienced a hypoglycemia (which was not a bad one as I was monitoring the situation using my Libre).

When I told the “class” I am going hypo, all of them said to me:
“Have a biscuit! Drink some Lucozade!”

Because I have been in ballet for years, I have been practicing strenuous exercise along with healthy, nutritional choices. Even now that I have Type 1 Diabetes, I prefer a nutritional choice to treat a hypo than an unhealthy one (unless the hypo is turning severe.)

So, I asked my nutritionist at DAFNE “may I please have a banana?” she nodded and said “of course you may!”
Within 10-15 minutes my blood glucose was raised by 5 mmols.

Therefore, I totally agree with Juicy regarding the choice of the banana to treat a hypo, I have had the same experience myself. My hypo was not as low (and I doubt I would be as calm and collected at a 2.8 to consider a banana instead of a glucose drink) but, I do agree that a banana or an apple are a very good solution.

The calories are minimal and they are a beautiful source of Vitamin B5, C, potassium, manganese and fiber. Indeed, the solution to a hypo problem is one, nice, ripe, juicy fruit away!

Also, with regards to your effort for a weight loss, from my experience, for weight loss the key lies in nutrition; not in exercise. In fact, exercise is very important to shape your body and maintain your weight loss but, 80% of the actual weight loss is in nutrition. Weight loss takes place in the kitchen, not in the gym. No matter how much you exercise (even if you are a professional athlete) if your nutrition is incorrect you will never see a good result.

I would suggest for you to follow a diet of 3 meals a day, try to avoid snacks (unless you need to treat a hypo), minimize cheese which has lots of calories and fat, or even eliminate it completely from you diet (or allow just a slice of gouda or edam cheese for example which has about 101 calories - almost half as much as a salmon portion... amazing isn't it?) and switch to 0% fat yogurt which is an excellent source of protein and calcium without the fat.

Quit all sodas despite the fact that they may be “no sugar” ones, exchange pasta, rice and potatoes with fruits and take your carbs from fruits instead. Try lots of fresh salads (which are freebies for us diabetics) and have no more than 100 grams of meat/fish/poultry for your lunch (which is a portion slightly smaller than the palm of your hand.)

Allow yourself only 2 slices of wholemeal bread per day. For desert, you can make combinations such as 100 grams of 0% fat yogurt with 80-100 grams banana (which is about 25 grams of carbs.) You can sweeten it with Stevia or Canderel or sweetener of your choice and (lots of) cinnamon (actually, this is a nice choice to have as dinner as well.)

Try to eat in a fruit/desert plate, this will help you minimize your portions.
I hope I could help!
Regards
Josephine

Reactions: 2 people

back2base

Great advice. I have a Personal Trainer but they give little advice / knowledge on Type 1.
I know 80% is in the kitchen, I think I've struggled as I probably have 'brittle' type 1 even though my doctor says that doesn't exist but compared to other type 1's, mine seem to swing so much that I have a pump, sensor etc and check my sugars about 30 times a day - please no-one comment "That's extreme", "That's OCD" - literally it is what I have to do. The sensor helps as does the pump but I do get hypo's and constantly changing my settings to perfect them as the sugars do change week to week sometimes with no regular pattern.

Will have a look at the diet and may come back to you Bluemarine :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I've subscribed here before but can not remember my details whatsoever as it was about 10 years ago or so.

Anyway, I've been type 1 for 10 years now and weigh has been a problem. I used to go gym regulary and generally pretty fit but losing weight has been a problem.

Basically, I like to go the gym when I can and I'm very aware of hypo's and have a pump to keep tight control. Despite that I do get highs and lows quite often so going to the gym is tricky.

Are there any sugar foods for hypo's which are 'reasonably healthy' and linked to gym. You see there is no point me going to the gym if I have to have mini cokes and lots of calories to get there as it negates it.

Any suggestion on a food that would bring up the bloods but not be so damaging to the goal?

I try to get to the gym a few times a week and am moderately active and healthy - I make sure I turn my pump down to -70% 2 hours before going to the gym, eat 1 cliff bar (about 40g of carbs, 9g protein, and 250cal) about 45 minutes prior so i can see my sugars getting up (usually they are at around 5 when i eat the cliff bar, i like to have them around 7-8 when i get to the gym)

This setup allows me to work out roughly 2 hours - weights and ~15min of cardio, no issues, and my sugars are back around 4-6mmol/L when finished.

I can't say it will make you loose weight because you will need to burn >250cals you ate + another 200calories. However, the secret to weight loss is in the kitchen not the gym!

Every single day you have to make better choices, eat less, eat more veggies, low carb, no junk - consistency is the key. You wont loose weight if you eat 250 cal less every single day just to binge on the weekend and eat it all back!

Be smart, be consistent, and be dedicated - thats the only way. After a month or so you will see a difference.

Simon_Soanes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently changed my diet to a low carb high protein and it has levelled my sugars considerably , I had to drop my insulin a lot and when I exercise a energy protein shake is good about an hour before . Good luck .