Type 1 newly diagnosed and mini bus driving

Wrighty35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago which to me, still makes me 'new' to all this - so much to take on board!
I'm a PE teacher who frequently drives the College minibus. However, I am now aware of my license bring revoked and a new license being sent through which has to be renewed every 3 years. I'm also aware that the ability to drive D1 category vehicles / mini buses is now not automatically allowed as was on my previous license. I have read that you can apply to drive a mini bus but need to meet higher health criteria (I've downloaded a form off the DVLA site that a doctor & optician needs to complete). My real question is; Can I get my doctor to complete this now or because I am classed as 'newly diagnosed' will they not consider my application as blood sugars will be considered as uncontrolled ? Actually my readings have been pretty good. Quite worried as being able to drive the mini bus is quite important to what I do?!
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Wrighty and welcome to the Forum. I hope that you find it a helpful place and take advantage of the large amount of knowledge and experience of other forum members.

I guess that you will only know if the Health Care Professionals will complete the form if you ask. If you have had a recent eye exam then I would see no problems with your optician. For your GP/consultant, it would depend on the questions asked on the form and whether they are able to certify your likely safety to drive based on the information they hold to date.

Hope things go well for you.

Regards

Doug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaning
I'm in the same position, well I'm a history teacher. I was diagnosed early march and had a letter back from the DVLA saying they are taking off my entitled to drive minibuses and issuing a 3 yr licence. I have no idea what to do next but like you it will affect my job hugely.

Reactions: 2 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the same position, well I'm a history teacher. I was diagnosed early march and had a letter back from the DVLA saying they are taking off my entitled to drive minibuses and issuing a 3 yr licence. I have no idea what to do next but like you it will affect my job hugely.

I'm a type 1 DVLA last week sent forms regarding my type 1 medical for the renewal of my 2 nd x 3year driving licence which is due March 2016 to my surprise there demanded my driving licence to be returned with the 2 forms immediately in the addressed envelope. luckerly for me I hadn't a car, and have reallied on public transport for the last 3 years. ....Regarding your minibus entitlement ....... well on reading the latest forms I had it says you can apply for entitled to drive minibuses, now I don't know much about it , I was a taxi driver and I was told you cant drive taxis with diabetes type 1 it wasn't the taxi company it was the city council who wont issue your badge.