Type 1 on Hollyoaks

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't normally watch Hollyoaks but I heard about the Type 1 storyline and watched the two episodes it covered.

So this young man goes into an empty garage and puts his test kit, pen, and sandwich on the side. Then he gets in an old car and can't get out cos the door is broken.

Several hours later his family find him and one of them shouts "There's Jason, looks like he's in a coma!" His mum screams, "He's Type 1 diabetic, get him out of there!" and there follows much dramatic smashing of car windows as he is dragged out unconscious.

Then the mother proceeds to give him an injection, and miraculously within about 5 seconds he comes round.

Now, any diabetic would have seen the orange box and known that the injection was Glucagon, so Hollyoaks got that right, but a non-diabetic would have just seen her give him an injection and assume it was insulin as there was no explanation of what it was.

So once again, we have Type 1 misrepresented in a soap, grrrrr!!!

:( :( :( :(

kellibabi

Sounds like the usual misrepresentation on TV!

ALSO - A non-diabetic who came across a kit & tried to give an injection is probably likely to try to inject into a VEIN.

Perhaps it would have been useful if they had a 'disclaimer' explaining the SAFE way to inject?

Mind you, this is a soap so I wouldn't have held out much hope in them showing anything sensible. :crazy:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's only a soap ! Unfortunately, people who watch Hollyoaks have not interest whatsoever in correct diabetes protocols lol ! Bring back Dirty Den ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kocall

i have been diabetic type 1 for 14 yrs and ive never heard of glocogon
is this only given out in some cases or should i ask my doc about it ???

sharonValerie

Hi there Kocall, a Glucogon Hypokit is used when a person is in a hypo coma, the kit is very clear so any person can use it. it contain an injection kit including a syringe with clear liquid in it and a via containing powder. The contents of the syringe are injected into the vial and the vial is then shaken so the powder disolves, it is then drawn back into the syringe and then injected into the unconscious diabetic in a leg or arm and it can be given through clothes. Generally it takes about 15 minutes before the unconscious person comes round. Once conscious a sugary drink or jam sandwich should be given as well. Usually you can expect to be confused and dazed when you first wake up but eventually you will feel much better. All diabetics who inject insulin should have a hypokit at home in case of a hypoglyceamic coma. Unfortunately have suffered many coma's I have been injected with the hypokit many times by my children and on occasion by my Mum. DO ask your doctor about it. :)