TYPE 1 SEVENTEEN ;) my sugary situation..

kyoung09

Im 17 and was diagnosed at 16. It's all good! i didn't get admitted i found out myself i was thirsty and tired and had some wee testing strips from a few years back in which the glucose turned black!!! and i tested mtself at my nans house and i was 28. straight away sent to the specalist nurse and did same inection that day. I'm on Levemir and Novorapid. 4 injections a day and i'm in control and happy. Im 5"1 and 7.5 stone. Been annoyed in the past year by pharmacies, family planning clinics and people who assume diabetes is just linked to fatness? It runs in the families sometimes. I was told i couldn't go on the pill as my blood sugars would be affected and got put on one for 40 year olds which made me come up in terrible spots on my chest? my consultant was outraged and now im on a normal one. Its just pure ignorance and lack of knowledge? Pharmacies telling me i can't have medication because i shouldn't need it that often.... urrrr... no?! What if i need more testing strips.. maybe my blood sugar was constantly high one day. I think there needs to also be more support for children and i have great, small blood testing kit called Freestyle lite where i test on my arms and everywhere so my fingers don't hurt. I find it easy with the regime i have so would be happy to help anyone. and for them to help me ofcourse! Going to uni in september hopefully, and leading a normal life :) x

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi kyoung09 and welcome to the forum you have a great attitude this is a great forum for advice so dont be afraid to ask any questions:D dermot

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome to the Forum :D I'm quite new myself. I got type 1 at 17.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi there kyoung and welcome to the forum :D

sandymaynard

Hi Kyoung
Welcome to the forum! Good on you for using your head and checking your glucose levels!
You have a very good and postive attitude!
sandy