Type 1 ~ still in honeymoon period

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
At approx 22 weeks pregnant I was diagnosed with Type 1.

My bg readings when pregnant were always between 4.5 ~ 6.5. I injected novarapid 3x a day ~ 15 units and insulatard at night ~ 30 units.

I was told I was probably in a "honeymoon period" in pregnancy as I stayed so in control of bg levels and never injected as high a level of insulin as they expected.

I am 7 weeks post pregnancy now and my bg levels / insulin injected is as follows (I am using yesterdays readings)

Before breakfast~ 4.6
Insulin injected ~ 3units
B Lunch ~ 3.7
B Dinner ~ 4.8
Night time injection ~ 15units

I expected (well was told) I would probably end up injecting half of what I injected in pregnancy but in daytime if I go above 3 I suffer real lows after an hour of about 2.2 ~ 2.5. Does anyone think I am still in this honeymoon period? Im eating healthily but not depriving myself.

I dont see dianetic team until April, is are these bg levels good? Am i injecting about average for a type 1?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shelley
I was diagnosed with type 1 at 29 weeks.

During pregnancy was on:
Levemir - 5 units in the morning and bedtime
Novorapid - breakfast 6 units, lunch & dinner 2 units (sometimes adjusted depending on what I was eating)

My BS targets were 3.5 - 5.5 fasting and less than 8 one hour after a meal. I managed to keep within these most of the time.

Since the birth I am now on just the long acting levemir - 3 units in the morning and 2 at night. I am no longer taking novorapid. My BS targets are a lot more relaxed at 5-8 fasting and less than 10 one hour after food. I think my targets are a lot more relaxed as I am breastfeeding and I did lose weight whilst pregnant which I did not need to.

I presume that I am in honeymoon period at the moment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you think there might be a small chance I could get to the point of just being on the long acting insulin too? I suspect that may be just wishful thinking!

Thank you for your reply

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shelley
Have you seen our diabetes team since you gave birth? I think I am meant to see them 6 weeks post-partum where I presume they will look at all my readings and decide if I need to change my insulin regime.

I'm no expert but some of your readings seem quite low. I know my targets are a lot less strict now I am not pregnant and am breastfeeding. Can you call and arrange to see someone before April?

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shelley,

Just re-read your first message. You definitely should contact your diabetes team to discuss the hypos you are having. Don't wait until April.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hels said:
Shelley,

Just re-read your first message. You definitely should contact your diabetes team to discuss the hypos you are having. Don't wait until April.

Hello,

thank you for your message and apologies for delay in replying~I couldnt get back on here.

Since leaving hospital 7 weeks ago after having George I have had one telephone call from the diabetic team and thats it. I dont even see my Consultant for my 6 week check up until 22nd March.

Ihad quite a bad hypo luckily at my Mum's house last Thursday. I tested my BG levels and they were 5.2,so I injected 3units ate 2 pieces of wholemeal bread,2 rashers of bacon and a tomato and within 45 mins I was dripping in sweat and slurring my words,we tested and my BG was only 2.3. Just not sure whats going on with me from day to day tbh,think will take your advice and ring them. To help I have started a diary of my BG/insulin/what I eat as didnt leave hospital with anything to record my levels in so hopefully this will help when I see them.

Thank you again for your advice x

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hun, I had a long honeymoon (or just slow onset type 1) I was diagnosed in my first pregnancy,managed to control through diet, my levels returned to normal after birth, but my second pregnancy (a year later) my levels were wacky from the off, I went on insulin at 12 weeks and this is when I had blood tests done to make sure I was type 1 (because my control was so good they thought it was just GD) after I gave birth my levels were normal again but 7 weeks after I caught a virus and had to go on insulin, for one week! On 2 units of basal I was hypoing, so I came off it and have gone back on insulin in December. I'm on 6u of levemir and 2-3 novorapid with meals. Sorry that's long winded, type 1 can be so biZarre, I suspect I'm still honeymooning!