Type 1: Toddler (2/3 years) normal blood glucose levels?

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm at my wits end!

I am a type 1 diabetic (6 years) and have a son who is 2 (3 in April)

He asks for his Bloods to be done periodically and a week ago they were 11.2 in the morning so safe to say I have been keeping an eye on them.

His fasting are ok most of the time (have been on the lower side of things occasionally) but 2/3 hours post meals they are what I consider to be high! (Generally between 11-12 but range from 8.6-19.7) GP hasn't really shown any concern as he hasn't yet got any typical signs of diabetes (other than eating constantly, but could be growth spurt) Had to argue for 10 minutes in the surgery to get a hba1c done (done today)

Overall, the only time he seems to be within normal limits is first thing in the morning. Are toddlers Bloods different ? Should I be as concerned as I am or am I being paranoid like the doctor seems to think? I always wash his hands prior to testing and he has a good varied diet!

Thanks!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm at my wits end!

He asks for his Bloods to be done periodically and a week ago they were 11.2 in the morning so safe to say I have been keeping an eye on them.

His fasting are ok most of the time (have been on the lower side of things occasionally) but 2/3 hours post meals they are what I consider to be high! (Generally between 11-12 but range from 8.6-19.7) GP hasn't really shown any concern as he hasn't yet got any typical signs of diabetes (other than eating constantly, but could be growth spurt) Had to argue for 10 minutes in the surgery to get a hba1c done (done today)

Overall, the only time he seems to be within normal limits is first thing in the morning. Are toddlers Bloods different ? Should I be as concerned as I am or am I being paranoid like the doctor seems to think? I always wash his hands prior to testing and he has a good varied diet!

Thanks!

I really think this is a matter for a real doctor to find out... I don´t think you should go about with any doubt of that at all, get your GP to make a blood sample and find out what his HbA1c is

This longterm picture is a better way to have an all over idea and it is also very unhealthy for parents mentally to go around speculating in all sorts of diseases in their kids it can evolve into a possession and end up being a burden for the child... get your family doctor to take over in this kind of matters... but of cause keep an eye on if your child thrives and give plenty of room for social interactions with other kids too...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/469844-blood-sugar-levels-in-toddlers/

Last edited:

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not 100% sure on what your implying in your reply. My son goes to nursery every day so has plenty of social interaction with children and others. And he is not forced to do his bloods he asks for them to be done, I don't speculate he has everything under the sun, however type 1 runs strongly in both immediate sides of the family. I have consulted with the doctor and hba1c has been done as stated, I just think that they are higher than what a healthy functioning pancreas should be doing. Thanks for the reply

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Natasha23 Havd you looked at the Parents section here? I don't know what normal bloods are for a toddler, but parents with young children diagnosed at a similar age to your son may be able to help.

I can see why you're concerned. I would have been too if I'd got a result like 19.7.

Reactions: Freema

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Natasha23
welcome to the forum :)

I think it is pretty natural for a young child to want to copy what he sees his mum doing , so him asking to have his blood tested certainly fits in to life in your house !!

here is a link to blood sugar levels https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
for some guidance on where his levels should be.
I would continue to seek advice from your GP --

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Natasha23
welcome to the forum :)

I think it is pretty natural for a young child to want to copy what he sees his mum doing , so him asking to have his blood tested certainly fits in to life in your house !!

here is a link to blood sugar levels https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
for some guidance on where his levels should be.
I would continue to seek advice from your GP --

Thank you, that is the table I have been basing results on was unsure if toddlers would be any different

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, that is the table I have been basing results on was unsure if toddlers would be any different

Google is not much help, but it does seem that a random blood sugar over 11.1 is reason for further tests in children too.

I'd go back to your doctors and say you're not happy and would like further investigation. If you can take records of your son's post meal results that might help.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
maybe give your diabetic nurse a phone call for her knowledge on toddlers BG's.

Reactions: Freema and azure

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Google is not much help, but it does seem that a random blood sugar over 11.1 is reason for further tests in children too.

I'd go back to your doctors and say you're not happy and would like further investigation. If you can take records of your son's post meal results that might help.

The tests I have done (and kept record of) have been first thing in morning then 2/3 hours post meals/snacks rather than completely random

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The tests I have done (and kept record of) have been first thing in morning then 2/3 hours post meals/snacks rather than completely random

That would be useful too, I think. Toddlers tend to eat pretty frequently anyway, so it's hard to test away from any food. I take 'random' to mean at a random time during the day, eg when a person happens to visit their doctor, rather than a pre-planned test at a specific time like first thing in the morning, etc.

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That would be useful too, I think. Toddlers tend to eat pretty frequently anyway, so it's hard to test away from any food. I take 'random' to mean at a random time during the day, eg when a person happens to visit their doctor, rather than a pre-planned test at a specific time like first thing in the morning, etc.

Thank you

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 hours after a meal the blood sugars ought to be back at a rather normal level again . Sorry if I did offend you you are right to worry of your childs health . Must say a non diabetic parent would probably not have found out there could be a problem before too late . Raised blood glucose longer than 2 hours after a meal is not good even when having been eating almost only carbs
And also not like first thing in the morning after having been fasting for at least 8 hours

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm at my wits end!

Thanks!

Hi, my daughter has type 1, she's two.
Obviously you're Childs health is number one concern. If he's not showing any warning signs then I would try not to worry too much. Just because you have diabetes doesn't mean you're son will get it, me or my partner don't have diabetes but my daughter does! Diabetes in children is so much different than in adults. Her sugars can really jump all about the place no matter what she eats or exercises. Like himtoo said he's probably just copying you by having his blood sugars done. Let's hope his blood tests show you more

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm at my wits end!

Thanks!

That was a concern with my kids when they were younger. We would occasionally test them if they were not feeling well or didn't seem themselves - it wasn't that often actually but one time when I tested my son he measured in the 11s - this was 15 years ago. So I took him to see the doctor - blood work was done and everything checked out fine - the doctor said it may have just been an anomaly. He's 25 now - no diabetes.

The funny thing is - if I never tested him, nothing probably would have happened. I would not have brought him in for blood work, I would not be worried nor would he. At the time he was terrified he would have to start taking needles just like his da.

Anyway - I'm all for parents with diabetes to test their kids if they suddenly don;t seem well - but be careful not to over do it. I sometimes questioin the accuracy of the test strips too - I wonder what the actual "chance of error" is for each strip.

Good luck - I can appreciate your concern - I've been there - both my kids are adults now living their own lives - diabetes free!

Reactions: azure

jodimckie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Natasha23 hi natasha my son was diagnosed a year ago at the age on 2years and 11 months. I thought he had a urine infection as he started to wet his self and he was fully pitty trained. I took him to the doctors and he was 8.6 they asked if he had ate a Mars bar or anything really high in sugar but he hadn't. We were then asked to go straight to hospital. My son didn't show any signs thirst peeing alot etc. Once his sugar levels hit 12.5 a few times they started him on insulin. As they said no way a toddlers levels should be that high. Please keep us updated.

Reactions: Natasha23

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Natasha23 hi natasha my son was diagnosed a year ago at the age on 2years and 11 months. I thought he had a urine infection as he started to wet his self and he was fully pitty trained. I took him to the doctors and he was 8.6 they asked if he had ate a Mars bar or anything really high in sugar but he hadn't. We were then asked to go straight to hospital. My son didn't show any signs thirst peeing alot etc. Once his sugar levels hit 12.5 a few times they started him on insulin. As they said no way a toddlers levels should be that high. Please keep us updated.

Thank you for your reply! How is your son doing? Hard to say with his urine output as he is still in nappies (he's proving hard to potty train he doesn't seem to want to do it)
Was 8.6 a fasting test?

Natasha23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That was a concern with my kids when they were younger. We would occasionally test them if they were not feeling well or didn't seem themselves - it wasn't that often actually but one time when I tested my son he measured in the 11s - this was 15 years ago. So I took him to see the doctor - blood work was done and everything checked out fine - the doctor said it may have just been an anomaly. He's 25 now - no diabetes.

The funny thing is - if I never tested him, nothing probably would have happened. I would not have brought him in for blood work, I would not be worried nor would he. At the time he was terrified he would have to start taking needles just like his da.

Anyway - I'm all for parents with diabetes to test their kids if they suddenly don;t seem well - but be careful not to over do it. I sometimes questioin the accuracy of the test strips too - I wonder what the actual "chance of error" is for each strip.

Good luck - I can appreciate your concern - I've been there - both my kids are adults now living their own lives - diabetes free!

Thanks for the reply! Hoping this is The case