Type 1 & Type 2 and this Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw11bloke

Type 1 and type 2 Diabetes is VERY different. When a type 2 replies to a topic posted by a type 1, it can confuse alot of people and vice versa.
Is there no way this forum can seperate the 2 somehow? I find I and many type 1's would post a topic but then type 2's would reply which then makes the posting completely irrelevant and vice versa with type 2's.
Perhaps having a tickbox before a posting and if its a type 1 thread, then perhaps there is a prompt saying sorry, this is a type 1 thread & vice versa....
Some threads just go on for pages and half the postings are irrelevant to the thread.

Any suggestions from other users and this forumns administrators welcome 8) 8) 8)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are separate sub forums for 1 & 2, but sadly the app doesn't make it obvious which one the posting is in before you reply

sw11bloke

this is why I suggest there should be a prompt...type 1 or type 2 before anyone replies to a post and when posting a new topic, there should be a tick box : type 1 or type 2..... which then prompts or seperates the two

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure I agree here, as a T2 I have in the past had some invaluable advice and input from T1 members, I have also seen it vice versa, after all isn't that what giving and receiving advice is all about, picking through it and taking what you can from it and using it or not ,

Personally I am grateful to anyone who takes the time to answer a post I make, wether it's useful to me or not - also it may help others reading the thread - just MHO :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see both sides, but something like a type 2 stating that a BG reading of 6-7 is too high and the op should be aiming to reduce that has happened before.... And the OP has been type 1 and therefore has great BG.

Greater understanding on ALL sides, type 1, 2, LADA, MODY etc if each other's conditions would be really helpful though

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sw11bloke said:
this is why I suggest there should be a prompt...type 1 or type 2 before anyone replies to a post and when posting a new topic, there should be a tick box : type 1 or type 2..... which then prompts or seperates the two

If you look at the top of the board as you post your reply it does say which section you are replying in. I do understand what you saying that there can be confusion but on the whole I agree with lovinglife.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
When we launch the new forum, there will be different thread 'tags' to differentiate between type 1 and type 2 posts :)

K

Kat100

I have had support from both t1 and t2 people, that's what we are people with this health problem, do we really need to be split, equality for all is what I believe and if we can support each other then that is great for me...

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always start with the new posts and then work my way through what applies to me I am type 2 but find some of the type 1 posts very helpful
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually the separation of diabetes into two types is largely invalid anyway. There is a complete spectrum of types as there are a range of genetic, disease and obesity factors involved. Many T2s are wrongly classified as they may be T1.5 as I was. There are many common factors across all of us but, yes, posters should try to make themselves aware of the posters condition and try to respond accordingly. I would encourage posters to have quite a full signature so that people can easily see medication and other relevant factors.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Signatures don't show on the app :(

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are many common factors across all of us but, yes, posters should try to make themselves aware of the posters condition and try to respond accordingly.

I agree completely, seriously people if you don’t know about something don’t comment! Ive seen some shocking advice when people assume treatment is the same for different types or even between Adults and children!! I cannot believe I’ve seen low carb diets pushed at newly diagnosed children. Makes me shudder to think.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While I agree that it would be beneficial to know, both in those posting and in those replying, whether they are T1 or T2 for instances where the recommendations differ I would hate to see any clear divide where we felt we couldn't support each other.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Supporting is all we can do, we can't give or receive medical advise. Research articles can relate to only some people, but we all have the same condition, so supportive is greatly valued, I would hate any separation.

K

Kat100

I should add we all have the same condition, but we are all different with our health needs...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kat100 said:
I should add we all have the same condition, but we are all different with our health needs...

That's the problem, we don't have the same condition. Type 2 is insulin resistance, type 1 is not producing any insulin. LADA and MODY.... Well they're a law in themselves lol

So although we all require support it isn't actually the same condition.

For example, a type 1 could feasibly gain a significant amount of weight and develop insulin resistant too.... Arguably becoming the 1 AND type 2. How bizarre is that!!!

And yes I know weight isn't the only factor, I'm just giving an example

K

Kat100

It is such a big complex health condition.....I did not mean we are all the same, the word diabetic is, but our health needs are all different....:/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Engineer88 said:
There are many common factors across all of us but, yes, posters should try to make themselves aware of the posters condition and try to respond accordingly.

I agree completely, seriously people if you don’t know about something don’t comment! Ive seen some shocking advice when people assume treatment is the same for different types or even between Adults and children!! I cannot believe I’ve seen low carb diets pushed at newly diagnosed children. Makes me shudder to think.

Engineer, Yes it's true what you have said and I do agree with you, it is and it can be extremely dangerous. We all have to be cautious.

Just saying hello and welcome to a member, whether they are new or someone having difficulties, can be a huge. Just knowing that someone has offered a nice warm welcome, even though they do not have the same type and can't really advise, can be so beneficial.

Best wishes RRB

sw11bloke

Thank you Giverny. i welcome the change.
So many times Ive posted type 1 issues and all I got was type 2 replies and no matter what anyone says, Type 1 and type 2 are VERY different in treatment and care.
The way the NHS treat type 1 and type 2 is very different. Our prescriptions are different ...... To avoid future confusion and irrelevant replies, i welcome the future changes.

I agree we can all learn alot from others and that type 1's can learn from type 2's & vice versa etc by reading these forums but when it comes to REPLIES, Id be much happier hearing from a fellow type 1 otherwise MY thread just goes on with irrelevant information which is no use to me.

Support is great I agree but lets keep a type 1 thread a type 1 thread and a type 2 thread a type 2 thread. This way theres no confusion especially to all those new diabetics who join this forum on a daily basis.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
would you ask the advice of a non diabetic doctor or dsn? how could they offer a medical opinion or just advice if they havent suffered from that illness since they were 3? many people on here in my opinion have far superior knowledge than most medical professionals ive come across so why would you discount someones advice just because they dont share your condition? i totally avoid the type 1 forum except by accident because this post and others like it. you have made me feel unwelcome which is basically what you want, so in my case congrats

Status
Not open for further replies.