Type 1's against Type 2's

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone ever come across this?? I have just been referred to as a 'fat lazy ****** who just needs to stop stuffing their face with ****' from someone who has a child with type1. Don't get me wrong, I understand there's a daily uphill struggle involved in raising a child with diabetes but do you think that as a type 2 we are just looked down upon As 'fat' and 'lazy' sometimes? I for one am not overweight, I am 32 and was diagnosed at 31 with type 2? I know management wise it's a lot stricter aith type 1's I just feel that comment is what most people think!

sparkyrich

Laugh it off. You might be fat and lazy (I am) but they're rude and stupid.
One day you might lose weight and start exercising. They're still gonna be rude and stupid. Poor souls :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

julie54

Whoever that was who made that comment - you don't need someone like that in your life!!! I am so sorry you were spoken to in that way - clearly that individual is a bitter and twisted person - who should know better. And yes - they will always be rude and stupid! Julie

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just feel that of all people as a mother of a type 1 child surel she should be educated enough on the types to not make such a comment?.

Oh well...thanks guys x

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Jaxx01 said:
Has anyone ever come across this?? I have just been referred to as a 'fat lazy ****** who just needs to stop stuffing their face with ****' from someone who has a child with type1. Don't get me wrong, I understand there's a daily uphill struggle involved in raising a child with diabetes but do you think that as a type 2 we are just looked down upon As 'fat' and 'lazy' sometimes? I for one am not overweight, I am 32 and was diagnosed at 31 with type 2? I know management wise it's a lot stricter aith type 1's I just feel that comment is what most people think!

Sorry you experienced that BUT I am well pis*ed off that you feel that most type 1's feel that way ! I SURE DON'T for one and to me Diabetes is Diabetes whatever the type and there are many factors at play that are not yet entirely understood and I too despise the whole correlation=causation stereotype bullsh*t regarding diabetes is a product of stuffing your face with **** ! At the end of the day we ALL suffer with the same risks of complications caused by high BG's so I don't want to see an 'us and them' mentality even if there are some idiots who think that type 1 is the only condition that is valid,that is utter **** and we are equals in my book!

Paul

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But that's my point Paul. We are all suffering from some degree of this disease.

I'm so sorry you feel ****** off by my post. I should have worded it better, I don't believe all type 1's think like that. I actually have a very good friend who s type 1 who was my saviour and handed me down tons of knowledge. I meant in general type 2's are looked own upon as fat and lazy! By your average Jo not just by type 1's sorry my post came across like that!

I once got asked if I had the 'real' diabetes or just the 'pretend' one where you can't eat chocolate lol

Think I may have to reconsider who I have surrounding me!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I actually feel that type 2's have a much more difficult time managing their diabetes than type 1's.

I would hate the thought of having to fight for meters and strips and being given allsorts of drugs until they gind the right one...and having to think about qty of cards that will affect blood against the tablets wirking.

Type 1's again.. Not easy, but a lot more flexible for eating...even better with an insulin pump.

If ever I meet type 2's or 'normal' people and they find out I have an insulin pump.. Their first reaction is always... You must have really bad diabetes???

I cant understand that comment... All diabetes is bad. I have it easier than anybody that is a type 2 or type 1 injections....

It still mystifies me, but the media also like to link type 2 diabetes with enlarged bodies, and larger person that are type 2 are generally told to lose weight, so its no wonder really that people expect type 2's to be larger.

I just dont think people think diabetes is diabetes... No matter what type.

I also think that parents of children with type 1 feel that their children got diabetes from their genes being given and will feel awful about themselves having some responsibilty for giving their children these diabetic genes. When they see type 2's, they probably follow the media line that these type 2's caused their own diabetes...

Its a shame.. As at end of day we all just have D....

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is diabetes. We all live with the same illness. Sadly, we live in a world where some people love to discriminate. It is a pathetic way to make themselves feel better by makiny someone else feel worse. In my opinion it is ignorant, pointless and potentially hurtful. Just try to rise above it, some people cling to their beliefs like life rafts and will never let them go.

H

Hooked

It's not nice, what ever type of diabetes you have. A person shouldn't look down on people just because they are suffering from a slightly different type of the same condition.

I've had it said to me at least twice that I am "lucky to have type 1 diabetes"; this coming from people suffering with type 2. I just don't get it. What part of learning to inject, carb out, carefully watch diet, regular hospital admissions growing up, now dealing with complications is supposed to be the fun bit? Don't get me wrong, I am more than aware of the big problems type 2 suffers go through as well. But, just like you, I don't like it when fellow sufferers make assumptions on my condition and my life.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not nice at ell :( If nothing we should ll be sticking together o support each other through all this. Like I said earlier, I don't think I'd have got my head around it all if it wasn't for a very kind, generous type 1 friend :) x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. One point I would make, but I don't want to scare you, is that at a young age 32 and not being overweight there is always the possibility that you are not Type 2 but actually late onset Type 1 (LADA) which would be ironic if true. Keep an eye on your blood sugar over the coming months and hopefully with the right diet and possibly more tablets you will be fine but if the sugars do start rising then discuss this further with your GP. There are tests such as GAD and c-peptide that can distinguish if needed. If you don't have a glucose meter then do get hold of one.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really hate this attitude that one type is worse than the other! None of us want to inject/take pills etc for the rest of our lives! I have type 1 and if I'm honest don't really understand about type 2, like many I did just think it was all about diet which I blame the media for as obviously being on here says otherwise!

I used to work with this woman a few years ago who was asking about my diabetes, I said I had type 1 and had to inject etc, to which she responds "oh you've got the easier one then, my gf has type 2, the worse one. You're so luck to have type 1 as everyday it's a struggle with type 2, u know watching what u eat etc..."

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daub ell, this is what I thought yesterday when I went to the Gp. No change since my last hba1c but my average sugars have gone from around 8 to 11 so either it's just progressing and needs more medication (which he upped from 500mg meteor in to 2000mg yesterday :O or I do indeed have type 1.5 :/ my doc wouldn't contemplate sending me for a gad test though :(

Yes I am 32 (31 at diagnosis) originally had GD which was insulin controlled, then got the type 2 diagnosis :/ not overweight either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seriously sax - It is hurtful isn't it. I think it takes a harsh person to belittle other people's illnesses/troubles :( I do think though that The media does play a huge part in people's opinions :( sadly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all victims of this broad catgorisation of what is a complex and multifaceted condition.

The bottom line for me is that diabetes is diabetes. Where it came from, how it manifests itself, who it chooses is so very random, we need to think darefully about the T2 and T1 label, after all there are plenty of people who are told they are T2 who can only control it with injected insulin and those labelled T1 who control it with tiny amounts of the same.

Don't forget the influence of the pathetic media in all this and peoples refusal to find out their own information.

wiflib

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think people point blank refuse to find out info. I think a lot of it is that we take info given to us (such as from the media) as the be all and end all.

Diabetes is a hugely overlooked illness in my opinion and as far as my experience goes with that woman it seems like as long as someone knows someone with t1 or t2 or thinks they know/ knows a "bit" about it, everyone's an expert! It was really hurtful tho and I felt pretty ****** for the rest of the day xx

mars119

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a type 1 but also think type 2 must be harder to contend with.
I don't think the media help when they just don't get their facts straight for either type.
On the light hearted side.... who swore at the cinema when watching Hansel and Gretel? I know i did (a lot). When Hansel using his 13th century torture implement (insulin pen) admitted to needing injections every few hours to keep him alive, as he'd ate a candy house when he was little!!!! :shock:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, not all of course but then it never is but i feel SOME type 1`s do indeed look down on type 2`s i was recently told by someone id hijacked there "type 1" thread, i probly did hijack the thread but why did they mention the type1 thing if not to suggest i shouldnt be there, maybe im being sensitive but its not the first time ive encountered this, i have kept my nose out of type 1 section since which is a shame because i do like to poke it in everywhere :) just my opinion and i certainly dont mean this to offend anyone especially the wonderful folks like paul whos posted here because i really enjoy what he posts and would hate to upset him or anyone else, its just how i have felt or been made to feel, i am probly wrong :) or maybe feeling jealous because i dont get to inject and eat b.. b... b..... bread! there i said the word, i dont have a problem :shifty:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Andy12345 said:
hi, not all of course but then it never is but i feel SOME type 1`s do indeed look down on type 2`s i was recently told by someone id hijacked there "type 1" thread, i probly did hijack the thread but why did they mention the type1 thing if not to suggest i shouldnt be there, maybe im being sensitive but its not the first time ive encountered this, i have kept my nose out of type 1 section since which is a shame because i do like to poke it in everywhere :) just my opinion and i certainly dont mean this to offend anyone especially the wonderful folks like paul whos posted here because i really enjoy what he posts and would hate to upset him or anyone else, its just how i have felt or been made to feel, i am probly wrong :) or maybe feeling jealous because i dont get to inject and eat b.. b... b..... bread! there i said the word, i dont have a problem :shifty:

Hi Andy!

Thanks mate and I'm not offended in any way and I totally 100% agree with you that a small minority of type 1's have an axe to grind or it would certainly appear so! I guess last night I was trying to defend myself as I've always seen us all the same with the same risks of complications and I have always been annoyed by any T1 who gets on their high horse spouting rubbish about how they are a victim whereas T2''s brought it on themselves and it makes my blood boil as it's utter **** TBH!

You haven't hi-jacked anything mate so feel free to post where you like as a small minority of T1's poke their noses into T2 threads and of course there's the occasional low carb hater who pops along on the low carb diet forum to derail it whereas you have always been a great poster IMO and simply sharing your experiences and giving advice wherever you can. :wink:

Best

Paul

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ok ok putting my type 1 voodoo doll back in the wrapper, sheesh just wasted an hour sharpening those pins, lol i know its a small minority and what the hell am i worrying about anyway :) i cant count how many nice folks on this forum but can count how many not so nice on 2 fingers (excuse the pun) and besides type 2`s are better than type 1`s anyway :lol:

cheers mate

Andy