1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. jonathan183

jonathan183 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Interesting ... I think the option to calibrate would be useful. The last 2 Freestyle Libre sensors I used were of no use for insulin dosing :( If I end up having to pick one or the other then test strips are going to win - hopefully it will not end up being one or the other ...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

For me it's Libre2, used with DiaBox for calibrating, plus self funded test strips, as around here you only get 50 teststrips every three months when using a Libre. That's not enough for me.

It's a great improvement still, financially, I used to get enough teststrips but had to self fund my Libre. For me that meant some serious cutting down on other costs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Master

Good morning everyone

• Like Like x 3
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Yum Cherries!!!! I asked my hubby to bring home some purple or red grapes and there wasn't any so he brought home some cherries. Early for them here. Usually we don't get them until after strawberry season, around May, June? And they are absolutely delicious, so of course I couldn't resist eating about 10 of them right away. And yea, then I took insulin.........and of course the cherries are going to hit faster than the insulin. So let's get on my exercise bike. then watch my numbers drop, okay get off exercise bike. Hmmm, now I've exercised and taken insulin and sitting around 4.4. At some point my numbers will increase.
    But the cherries were so worth it!!!! I might just have some more............but not until some of that insulin I took starts to hit!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The cherries sound scrumptious, and very very moreish, I could eat loads of them, but oh these are some of the times I long not to be diabetic, and just to be able to eat them without having to think of balancing blood sugar!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marie 2

It's irritating isn't it @Hopeful34 , that the best way for us is to pre think we want some cherries, take insulin, then wait to eat them. Or maybe sneak one or two so our levels don't go up too much. Sometimes like with these cherries I was ready to say to heck with it!!!

I forgot to say this was at 9 pm at night. It ended up working out, mostly lol. My BG level should have went up but I must have had enough insulin from earlier and the exercise bike helping because I never went above 6.4 . Then I dropped some and ate more cherries which I didn’t mind at all! The biggest problem was in taking insulin so late as I had an extra kick after about 6 hours and I went a little low to 4.1 at 3 am and my alert woke me. Even though I had been steady at 5.4 for a few hours before bedtime. So I ate a piece of dried pineapple, turned off my phone and went back to sleep until the morning.

I wake up if I go too low but not usually until around 3.2-3.4, my alert is set at 4.2. I just don't always wake up easily to highs. As long as I don't have a pump failure I am okay without low alerts!

My husband is asking me if I want a second bag of cherries because they are so good. I just don't think I can go through 2 bags in the 3-5 days they last. But I am so tempted to try!

• Like Like x 5
  7. karen8967

Good morning everyone happy friday FB_IMG_1619071255541.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Marie 2

Snorkel day yesterday! Gorgeous weather and I was rewarded with a special siting. I had my 15 gram snack, went in at about 7.2 and reduced my basal for a half hour only. Stayed most of the time around 5.8 for the 2 hours I was out there. gave myself 1 unit when I got out and another unit a half hour later and never went above 6.4. If it all could workout so perfectly!!!!

I shove stuff down my suit when I swim, my hypo gel if I need it, some gummies and a car key in a pouch, my Libre reader in a pouch to keep track of my BG level while I'm out there. But the LIbre reader is what I pull in and out several times. My Omnipod pod is also attached somewhere on my stomach and I knew it was at the hitting point of where I put my pouch. It was fine when I got home and took a shower, but at some point the pod came completely loose and my numbers shot up and it took forever to get them back down, But the day was still really worth it!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. karen8967

Good morning everyone have a lovely weekend

• Like Like x 3
  10. karen8967

Good morning everyone FB_IMG_1644093495904.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. karen8967

FB_IMG_1639487307097.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Marie 2

DP stopped suddenly for the last 3 nights. But as soon as I switch to my non DP program you know it's going to come back!
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::blackeye:o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. karen8967

Good morning everyone

• Like Like x 3
  14. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So frustrating. I often decide to leave things as they are rather than have the hassle. Then other times I’m proactive and have a couple of days success before trouble. You cannot win with this condition.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. karen8967

Good morning everyone

• Like Like x 1
  16. Marie 2

I went low last night. I snorkeled yesterday and I reduced my basal overnight by 50% and it wasn't enough, eating candy at 3:30am! This exercise thing is just a trick lol!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. karen8967

Good morning everyone happy friday

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Missed you yesterday Karen, good to see you back today :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. karen8967

Aw thanks hopeful 34 x

• Like Like x 2
  20. karen8967

Good morning everyone have a great weekend

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook