1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep, I do the handwashing thing too. I still don't know what could be on my fingers that would produce a low reading though. Any suggestions?

2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Alcohol on the skin can give falsely low readings.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. WuTwo

Does anyone know if sleep affects diabetes - either length or quality of sleep? I've been wondering about that, and this is the place I usually come to find out stuff about diabetes.

4. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Always harder to prevent running high after a poor night’s sleep. And harder, too, to contain the frustration it creates.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Delticmatt100

Delticmatt100 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey hospital was great. Had eye test too. Drops stung bit.

Consultant said they are unsure if I’m either type 1 or 2.

So he sent me for a blood test which had done before I left hospital to see if there a genetic issue and if my Pancras is starting producing on it’s own again. He said pending blood test results they might take me off insulin for a while just to see how my Pancras is holding up. So fingers crossed hey.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a Tee2 meter as my backup one, and occasionally it's a rogue strip. I always retest if an under 3 appears and I don't feel hypo as I have pretty good awareness. The retest almost always confirms what I'm really thinking it should be.

Especially, as for me, I find the Tee2 runs higher than any other meter I've had.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. LooperCat

Totally. Bad sleep makes me quite insulin resistant the next day. My Fitbit tracks my sleep so I get a pretty detailed analysis of light/deep/REM sleep and I have a look at that over my morning coffee and get an idea of what the day may hold in that respect!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I’m currently reading “Why we sleep” and the answer is yes! Length and quality of sleep affect blood sugars and mental health and pretty much every area of the body.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. WuTwo

@Diakat - did you get that on Amazon? If I can get it as a Kindle, it'd be an interesting book to read. Not to say it wouldn't as a paper book but I get those with the very best intentions and somehow ....... I tend to read at night with my Kindle Paperwhite, or else I need a bedside lamp which always keeps my husband awake. He needs a fair bit of sleep and I don't like to wake him.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I got it from the library! Author Matthew Walker, ISBN 978-0-141-98376-9, should be available as an ebook or Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. WuTwo

@Diakat - that's a big help. I'll have a look and I can put it in my basket for the end of the month.

Slightly overspent this month, what with the new ink and then there was this skirt, and some knickers .......

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Afternoon friends, I am very tired. According to my libre I’ve hypoed all night and I did feel it was a struggle to get out of bed earlier today. 4.7 on meter, 4.8 on libre, I think the update isn’t doing too shabby.
    I know some of you have said 4.5 ish isn’t quite hypo, for me I feel absolutely rubbish. You’ll find me eating at around that level :(

• Hug Hug x 3
  14. LooperCat

Pah, who needs knickers?

I read exactly the same way. In bed, no bedside light, so I don’t disturb the husbeast. Much as I adore “proper” books, they don’t light up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WuTwo

Only if it's cold!

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lovely straight 5s all night and half the morning. Went out to rub down paintwork in the summerhouse and within half an hour I was 9 and on an upward arrow. Grr! Why can’t exercise make me drop so I can have something extra to eat rather than having to inject more insulin.

• Hug Hug x 4
  17. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Knikki . Similar boat on the wine front. No craving for chocolate but I’ve just had peanut butter. FNY. I’m not even hungry.:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm having my not too clever hour, I think (at least I hope it's only an hour) but I can't find the T1 food thread anymore. Can someone help me out?
    Also, I was so busy trying to get a picture from my meal on that thread that I forgot to inject for it. Found out an hour later and noted the correction in the Libre app and still forgot to inject.
    Did it just now, luckily it wasn't a very high carb meal and all nice and slow acting with lots of mayonnaise based sauce. But I'd still find my clever back rather sooner than later.

• Hug Hug x 5
  19. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I. Am. Officially. Bored. Over the past 10 days I cannot get my evening/overnight figures right. I've been having a reasonable amount of exercise, nothing I've not done before, it's been very warm, and I'm either hypo or hyper after dinner, and last night when I wasn't I woke up on a 13 which zipped up to a 14.8 by the time I'd got downstairs. I've tried more carb, less carb for dinner, upped and downed bolus and basal, and I'm sick to death of jelly babies. Don't like them anyway and have eaten far more of them than any person should have to :meh::confused::sour: Thanks for listening, rant over.

@Delticmatt100 good luck with the tests, did they say what they were?

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook