Type 2 and insulin can I request it?

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Just a quick one.

Im struggling with food and weight due to a number of factors. 1) I work nights 2) cant afford the good stuff lol 3) finding time to pre make it all.

My numbers are up and down like a strippers knickers (Sorry):oops:

Spoke to a lady other day in a supermarket who is also Type 2 and she went onto insulin and loves it, more freedom etc!

Is this the way to go and can I see quake and request it?

Cheers

Tigger

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Insulin is usually a last resort Tigger after all other alternatives tried. The reasons you quote for your problems can easily be overcome, should you want them too. We've discussed low carb before and I agree, it doesn't suit everyone, but it does work. There are other meds as well which you could try before insulin, have you tried Gliclazide ? Anyway, if you're really struggling and can't/don't want to change lifestyle, by all means discuss your options with doc and insulin may be an option. Good luck !

Reactions: 7 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin isnt a quick fix and should be avoided at all costs Tigger. It is an artificial hormone and can honestly leave you feeling ****. if it takes a bit of work to avoid it then do it because its nothing compared to the work you will have to do on insulin.

Reactions: 5 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to agree with above. Insulin is a last resort and isn't a quick fix. There are loads of new meds out to help with bringing sugars down and weight loss - to name two Victoza and Forxiga. You would still need to sort your eating out and eat healthier - plus on some people who don't watch what they eat they gain weight on insulin then end up needing more insulin and it becomes a horrible circle. Unfortunately there is no easy answer. Talk it over with your Doctor.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick one.

Im struggling with food and weight due to a number of factors. 1) I work nights 2) cant afford the good stuff lol 3) finding time to pre make it all.

My numbers are up and down like a strippers knickers (Sorry):oops:

Spoke to a lady other day in a supermarket who is also Type 2 and she went onto insulin and loves it, more freedom etc!

Is this the way to go and can I see quake and request it?

Cheers

Tigger

These sound very much like excuses rather than reasons to me. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Why should working nights make it difficult? You can still have 3 sensible meals a day, just at different times. Good food for diabetics doesn't have to cost any more than bad food. My weekly food bill is less now than it was before I was diagnosed because I'm eating less, and avoiding take-a-ways and ready meals or junk food saves money. It takes me about a minute to make my breakfast, about 10 minutes to make my lunch, and apart from the Sunday roast it takes no more than half an hour to make evening meal. I think you might find it takes longer than that on insulin, with carb counting and injections a few times a day. I could be wrong on that as I don't use insulin. Thank goodness. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
have you worked 6 night straight? I start at 6pm finish 7am out the house 5.30pm in bed 9am after some family time, sleep. wake dressed and out for work. fresh veg, meat etc is not cheap. when I am day off I don't know if its breakfast dinner or tea time.

Reactions: 2 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was really struggling and had tried other meds (gliclazide) but did not get on with them, as a last resort went on to insulin, which at first really did sort me out, went on the honeymoon period of eating all the wrong food because insulin was keeping my levels down and constant for the first time in years, after 6-8 months my levels started to creep up, I had put on a ton of weight and my belly was getting so much bigger,if I'm honest I really do struggle to stick to a healthy balanced diet, but realised I need to work just as much now I'm on insulin as I did when not, I finally found this forum which helped me to find a decent enough routine that I can stick to (kind of) Low Carb High Fat, basically when I cut out bread, potatoes, crisps and biscuits / sweets and eat my wife's food (Thai) and eat at set times my levels are always in check ( hang around 5-7 pre meal & 7-9 post) I also walk/run a mile a day with some weight training, anyways I really wish I had done a lot of this routine while I was still on normal meds. and worked / pushed myself harder rather than taking what I see as an easier option of insulin.
I do not know what it must be like on nights etc. but please try and find the time to sort diet and exercise some, I hope that in the future i can come off insulin, that's my goal / dream and get back to normal :) but saying that my last 2 HbA1C's have been the best in my last 8-9 years being 42 (6.0) and now 48(6.5) sorry for the ramble but please try and do as much as you can before going on insulin, others may disagree but that's my penny's worth!!
Wish you all the best and keep us posted how you get on.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
These sound very much like excuses rather than reasons to me. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Why should working nights make it difficult? You can still have 3 sensible meals a day, just at different times. Good food for diabetics doesn't have to cost any more than bad food. My weekly food bill is less now than it was before I was diagnosed because I'm eating less, and avoiding take-a-ways and ready meals or junk food saves money. It takes me about a minute to make my breakfast, about 10 minutes to make my lunch, and apart from the Sunday roast it takes no more than half an hour to make evening meal. I think you might find it takes longer than that on insulin, with carb counting and injections a few times a day. I could be wrong on that as I don't use insulin. Thank goodness. ;)
Sorry I have worked nights and believe it or not it is a completely different beast, your body wants to sleep at night not during the day, I'm not making excuses for tigger but it is hard working nights and having a normal routine. However saying that insulin isn't an easy answer but there are other drugs on the market that can help more without the complications of insulin. Can you get referred to your local diabetes clinic as they tend to understand more than gp's do

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry if I have offended anyone, it wasn't intentional. I have never worked nights nor have any of my family, so I didn't appreciate how hard it can be. I should have kept my mouth shut.