Type 2 and Warfarin

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 and taking Metformin, but was recently taken into hospital with bilateral Pulmonary Embolisms.
I'm now on high doses of warfarin and have been told to be very careful with regard to any kind of bleeding.

However I need to start testing my blood sugar, so will need to buy a monitor.
Will I be OK using lances, and are any monitors better than others in that respect?

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I can only speak for myself - I was fine using the lancets. Sometimes it bled for a bit longer, but it did stop OK.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Use the lancet pen on its lowest setting, usually 1 out of 5, so you make the smallest hole possible. This is usually suggested if we find the process painful, but maybe it would also help with this. If you cant get enough blood this way, turn it up to 2 and try that level.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and taking Metformin, but was recently taken into hospital with bilateral Pulmonary Embolisms.
I'm now on high doses of warfarin and have been told to be very careful with regard to any kind of bleeding.

Will I be OK using lances, and are any monitors better than others in that respect?
I would like to advise that to discuss this with your Dr who is checking your warfarin levels .. as you know warfarin can cause easier bleeding..so be careful

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I have been to my Warfarin Clinic
INR down from 3.0 to 1.9 due to diet.so warfarin dose has gone up.
They have also said it's OK to start testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Osming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry to hear u have been so poorly:( Your diabetes nurse should provooide a glucometer for you and show you how to use it safely. I am T2 and take warfarin - just aim for the sides of my fingers rather than the pads and press hard with cotton wool afterwards. Simples!